The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marya Lambent - human replicant android
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Marya Lambent - human replicant android Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Marya Lambent - human replicant android Reply with quote

Marya Lambent
This is from our house campaign. Interestingly this character was created about a year before Shadows of the Empire was published and is based more on Data from Star Trek than Guri in Shadows of the Empire.

Player Information (this is the information I gave to the player of Marya):
You are not like other people. Although you are tall and somewhat muscular, you are actually a lot stronger than you look. But this heavy body density does make it hard for you to swim. Your brown eyes are actually contact lenses. Your real eyes are yellow and cat-like. You can see in the dark and at night your eyes glow like a cat’s. You know you are not human, but you don’t know who your people are.

Raised alone by your father, Farrel Lambent, you led a sheltered life. Your father was a researcher employed by a major Megacorporation and you had an extensive scientific and technical education [note the high Knowledge and Tech skills]. You often mention your father (although not by name, just as father, “Father always said…). You never know your mother and do not speak of her, “I never had a mother.” As a result of your upbringing, you are not good with people and you always seem reserved or distant. This is exaggerated by your tendency to speak in complete sentences and never use contractions. You sound, and act, a lot like a Vulcan.

After your father died, minions of the megacorporation that employed him pursued you. You fled to here from another sector with the megacorps bounty hunters in pursuit. On Coyn you met Janessar Rae and Tora Jesek and they brought you to Kidron, the refuge planet, where you thought you would be safe. Gen Stridenko, Tora Jesek’s Jedi teacher, found you a job with Grinel Dober, an old Clone War buddy of Gen Stridenko. You have done a good job working for Grinel Dober. He yells a lot, but never at you, and he treats his workers well. Then the Empire invaded Kidron.

During the invasion, Gen Stridenko died saving a bunch of Orfa City refugees and his body disappeared after his death. Now you are in danger again. If the Empire catches you they will turn you over to the Megacorp and you now suspect the Megacorp may have been responsible for your father’s death.

Type: Human Replica Android
DEXTERITY 5D
KNOWLEDGE 4D
+2D to factual recollection
MECHANICAL 3D
PERCEPTION 2D
+3D to sensory input skills
STRENGTH 5D
Lifting 8D, stamina 8D
TECHNICAL 5D
Special Abilities:
Eidetic memory: +2D to factual recollection
Enhanced senses: visual range includes infrared , light enhancing, and telescopic vision, hearing extends into the ultrasonic; +3D to sensory skills
Redundant systems and nanotechnology internal repair processors: can take multiple wounds. Can sustain 1 light damage (LD) per D of strength before getting a heavy damage (HD) result. Can sustain 1 heavy damage per D of strength before sustaining a severe damage result (SD): LD, LD, LD, LD, LD, HD, LD, LD, LD, LD, HD, LD, LD, LD, HD, LD, LD, HD, LD, HD, SD, Boom!
Force Sensitive: No
Force Points: 0
Character Points: 5
Move: 12
Equipment: ?
Capsule (this is the capsule for describing Marya or running her as an NPC): Human in appearance, Marya has attractive, regular features with short black hair and brown eyes. She speaks in a flat tone of voice with little emotion. She is a little more muscular than average. The brown eyes are actually contacts. She has yellow cat-like eyes and can see well in the dark. At night her eyes seem to reflect light like a wild animal.

Marya is a synthetic. She is an prototype artificial human (like Data on STNG, not a droid). Her father/creator was Farrel Lambent. She often mentions her father, but not usually by name. He is (according to Marya) dead. Marya never mentions a mother—I never had a mother.

She fled here from another sector and the corporation who bought out her creator’s company sent its corporate security to recapture her. In addition, Lud Chud has heard that she possess some R&D secret. He has hired the outsector Vulture Bounty Hunter Syndicate to kidnap her.

Adventures [First encountered in The Weeds of Crime, she was fleeing from Coyn to The High City of Refuge on Kidron.]
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... she is hard to kill!

In other news, it seems space nerds build female robots too... Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a munchkins wet dream for a pc...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24d Attributes.... too powerful IMHO
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Wow... she is hard to kill!
Yes.
garhkal wrote:
Sounds like a munchkins wet dream for a pc...
Could be. I don't play with munchkins so it's not much of a concern for me. I certainly wouldn't hand it out to a munchkin even for a one-shot.
jmanski wrote:
24d Attributes.... too powerful IMHO
I agree. It's not something for continuing PC play. Worked fine as an NPC and for a one-shot though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often does she appear as an NPC?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How often does she appear as an NPC?
Not often. I think two adventures back around 1995-6 and maybe a brief appearance in one around 1999 or 2000. Though she is still around, the PCs just haven't gotten back to where she is in quite awhile. She was designed to be a bit like Data - so superior in some senses, but emotionally/mentally handicapped in others - she is more literal and more naive and, while she knows she is not a human, she doesn't know that she is an artificial construct. She was intended to provide an odd NPC for the players to interact with, to give the PCs a chance to try to figure out that she was a construct, and then to see how the PCs decided to treat her. Was she mere machinery or was she in effect a sapient being with the same rights, feelings, etc as the PCs? We haven't actually gotten to play things out quite far enough for all the PCs to figure out why Marya talks and acts oddly, so not all those questions have been asked or answered yet.

IIR part of the reason for her extreme durability was because her abilty to be repaired is pretty limited since she is a one-of-a-kind (well until Guri I guess) prototype and is hunted by the Megacorp and possibly the Empire as well.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misunderstood and thought this was a PC. While powerful, I don't disagree with how you are using her.

And an interesting idea, to boot....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed it does seem like an interesting Idea... but when you have set a precident for the 'health levels being that way' what's to say a pc won't want to be one of these, or make one as his bodyguard...
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you say... no
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, no works just fine for questions like that.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionize then plex missile at her?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a somewhat similar idea for a HRD character.

Not too fancy on the stats just the regular 18D +7D skill but the character would be unaware that it was a droid (and programed to rationalize anything that might cause it to think it was away) but because it never needed to eat or sleep it had begun to think it might be some wierd sort of Jedi. I'd even considered giving it some sort of inbuilt scanners that gave it Jedi sense like abilities, perhaps similar to the Quixotic Jedi. I could never figure out how to deal with it possibly getting wounded and needing to be repaired not causing some sort of terrible programming glitch.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could sort of have its computer brain conclude a number of fundamentals upon which it operates whenever referring to the galaxy at large.
For example that clearly all sentient creatures think using programming, but all see the rest of the universe as an existentialist extension of the self so the entire universe is filled with a series of individuals which are both a figment of their own imaginations and also part of a greater, collective programming.

So upon meeting this droid for the first time believing it is a human you may introduce yourself, "Hi, my name is Jax and I'm a starship captain."
Naturally the droid would respond, "Yes of course you are."

Most statements in fact it'd probably respond to with, "Yes I was quite expecting that."
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I could never figure out how to deal with it possibly getting wounded and needing to be repaired not causing some sort of terrible programming glitch.
(1) Good dodge/parry so it is less likely to get wounded.
(2) The HRD has a subcutaneous circulating fluid that is both self-sealing and a distribution system for nanotech repair bots. The fluid just happens to be blood red in color.
(3) Selective memory blockage that makes the HRD act like it has been in shock. It doesn't remember (because those memories have been blocked or deleted) being damaged. Once it's self repair feature has acted to repair/mask the exterior damage it regains active function. Works best if combined with (2).
(4) Pain heuristic software that mimics injury and pain from injury to simulate human response to damage. Works best if combined with (2).
(5) Rather than a bug, this is a feature. Wink The HRD and it's associates will have to come to terms with this new knowledge. How do they adapt and adjust. That could be interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: