The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

No Disintegrations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> No Disintegrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: No Disintegrations Reply with quote

Anyone else have the bounty hunter module "No Disintegrations?" I've found that the entire section makes an excellent 'ongoing storyline' if played in reverse order- starting with the Narloch of Giju hunt, with the potential (likely) earning of emnity of Lord Haakon- continuing on to Seregar Turnabout (where Tern Ashandrik hunts the players because of a vengeful bounty placed by Haakon). This leads the players to the Black Sphere (transposed to the same world as Abregado-Rae intruige, on a world where bounty hunting is ilegal- the group laying low and catching their breath on a sheltered world while they figure out how to deal with Haakon, who's gone to ground after losing most of his welath to Narloch), where they get into some legal trouble and have their ship impounded- which is where Abregado-Rae Intruige comes in, with Ajidre Skrigatov offering to clear up their current trouble in exchange for their circumstances. Last comes Gone to Ground (a double meaning, as this is what Haakon has done as well) as the group finds an underworld contact willing to rat out Haakon's location in exchange for a hefty number of credits- more than the PCs have- thus leading them to take on the bounty on Hoogra D'en to raise the capital. Lastly, after doing all of this, a custom adventure in which your characters finally catch up with and deal with Haakon (presumably forcing him to cancel his price on their heads) is yours to generate- me, I had him hiding out in a mountaintop monasterey in Bothuai in which the characters had to deal with a group of monks that held nonsensical belief, and had to pass several tests to demonstrate their 'enlightenment' in which they had to act in accord with the monks' nonsense beliefs (typically going against the 'right' or logical thing to do) in order to gain access to the inner sanctum where Haakon was hiding (also involving a climactic assault on the monasterey by killer war droids disguised as Talz). In that case, the whole adventure was a Star Wars adaptation/send-up of the classic Doctor Who serial "The Abominable Snowmen" (as Doctor Who's Yeti look near-identical to Talz) as an in-joke to this group of players, but the climactic catch-up-with-and-mete-out-justice-to-Haakon adventure can be customized for your group of players- offering a satisfying, punch-packing conclusion to the entire story arc, and wrapping up the entire storyline for a clean break- after which original stand-alone hunter stories can be created based on the seeds in the back of the book.

Just thought I'd share the idea, as I found it to work well thematically in my experiences with No Disintegrations.

Hard core OT, all the way!
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but i am soo going to steal this idea for my new Edge of the Empire campaign.

Mixed in with adventures from Politics of Contraband and Scum and Villainy (SAGA edition book).

So many thanks.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure! Glad the little bit of lunacy could go to good use! Very Happy

Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really cool! I've never looked at it from that angle before. I've always considering using one or two adventures as stand alone fillers for my game, but that's a really good idea.
It's funny because that's one of my oldest books! I think I started playing Star Wars with, maybe, five or six books and that was one of them.

Now, if only I was running a bounty hunter game...
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A maybe-silly question, but I'm trying to figure it out in the next two days. The more I'm prepping for the first adventure, Gone to Ground, the more I'm wondering: Am I supposed to read the short story at the beginning to my PCs? On the one hand, it seems to give a bit away, and it isn't the usual style of what you share with the players. On the other hand, without it, a whole lot probably seems to happen from the PCs' perspective, and episode titles like Brojtal's Revenge make no sense... since the PCs have never been introduced to this major behind-the-scenes player.

Thoughts?

Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I guess I'll include it, then.

Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the session was a disaster. 3 PCs clearly not meant to be Bounty Hunters stumbled their way through the most inept investigation of the crash site ever, repeatedly trying to access the computer and exploring nothing else, elected to leave the planet without ever surveying any evidence (just getting a planetary destination, and assuming they could find Hoogra-D'en on the planet somehow when they got there), wandering around chapter 2's spacer town forcing me to invent random NPCs (including a scene-stealing meta-commentary Mon Cal cook and the 'crimson icthus,' a shadowy underworld informant that is actually a vacationing Imperial looking for thrills by getting himself involved in the 'criminal underworld'), and eventually setting out in a skiff. I gave them an opportunity to randomly stumble on the one tent they needed to find in the entire planet by absurd random chance (since the narrative had to get back on track SOMEHOW) by a single roll of the die- which, with a 1 in 6 chance, they managed to pull of, resuming episode 2 after about 3 hours of runaround. They found Hoogra-D'en's tent on the bluff... just in time for the Aqualish mercenary attack, where they were brutally massacred after a series of terrible roles left them all missing limbs and with giant holes in their torsos.

Everyone had fun, at least, recognizing how utterly bad they were at the bounty hunters... and finding themselves living out the explanation I gave them on why so many beings become bounty hunters- namely, a high turnover rate, because those that aren't good at it leave hundreds of vacancies each year. Smile They are designing new characters and hoping for a second go at bounty hunting someday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: