The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

One Flew Over the Mynok's Nest [help]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> One Flew Over the Mynok's Nest [help]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: One Flew Over the Mynok's Nest [help] Reply with quote

Got kind of a weird idea involving a mental institution and would like some ideas on what to do with it.

There was a British military outpost in India called Deolali. It was normally a re-mob location back to England. What little I know is that guys would get a little crazy waiting for the boat home. I’ve go an idea for a location like that with a slight bit of Papillon and early penal Australia. I kind of want to have a horrific and surreal place in paradise with standoffish nurse Ratched types and even worse doctors. Add wonderful sunny days on the beach sipping gin and tonics brought to you by mental patients (because malaria is a real threat) with screams of lobotomies heard in the background.

Sadly that all I got and I don’t want to just drop them off as patients. Don’t think it’s right with the current story and characters. The best I’ve come up with so far is one of the players goes to visit an old friend?

And I don't have a story past the location which is a little less than I normally work with.

So any input would be great. Thanks!

DS
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds interestingly creepy. Although it may be too much horror of war for the average Star Wars game.
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for an Arkham Asylum type vibe. Don't think it's too off point based on the frequency that slavery comes up in star wars.

I do think i have my lead in from an inheritance to one of the players from a family member.

I don't think i'll touch on the ptsd that much when i can have boarderline personalities and hyper aggressive manic phase people. Add the prophetic psycotic and the " i'm having a heart attack" anxiety patient. Got lots of spice but no main dish?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have the head psychiatrist as a dark force user. He uses psychotropic drugs made with Sith Alchemy to cause hallucinations, intensify negative emotions, and make the patients there more susceptible to mind control or the like. This guy feeds off of the darker, twisted minds of patients. Maybe the players get caught doing some caper or other thing on the planet he's practicing on, and he testifies in court that each of them is insane. The players are then remanded to his custody for "treatment."

This game could be fun, the players begin to have trouble telling reality from hallucination, possibly having an escape attempt stopped by a sudden catatonic episode. Trying to bring down the head honcho could be tough without first breaking in and seizing their weapons, assuming their weapons are even on site.
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to rip that RR. Think I'm going to change one thing, the Dark Master is the janitor manipulating the staff to do horrible things. Make the staff the true victims (after the victims of course). The players will assume somebody of power at the hospital. Instead the dark force user is a true sociopath and nobody. Cut up animals, fire fixation, late bed wetting…the works!

Maybe do the old cliché where he was a patient for a bit, got medicated and sent to a halfway house. Got a job back at his old hospital. Moved into the basement of the hospital since he has all the keys. Staff turnover started to get hefty as he played with their minds and learned to refine his sense of torture. Now he’s in his happy sick Cenobite/Son of Sam like world eating whatever they have for lunch at the cafeteria. Brainwashed some of the orderlies so they are something cult-like in nature. Not Heavens Gate, more Fight Club.

Cheers
DS
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, whatever makes it better for you or harder for your players to discover. I find something kind of scary about a doctor with hidden agendas. Having people abuse their position of authority is also a very Star Wars theme.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also make a master and apprentice hiding out in the asylum. Maybe the janitor is the master, maybe he's the apprentice? Maybe all the evidence points to one of the doctors there and conveniently leaves the janitor without guilt. Maybe it's the other way around? Just something else to think about. Conspiracies are always good.
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to ponder this for a bit. You got me thinking, Sith are worried about just having 2 and Jedi do the whole master/padawan which is why we always see things in two's. Good ole Chuck Manson, on the other hand, wasn't so worried about passing down knowledge. He wasn't even worried about paying rent there at the sphan ranch.

So I could have a couple that have subpar force abilities and red herring the whole darn hospital. Head Doc, check. Orderly, check. Usual med nurse on the evening shift, check. The guy that drives the passenger van/speeder, check. Give them 3D each so the players get the feeling that these guys are not really good at force stuff. Maybe get them questioning why this nurse is TKing the safety on his blaster instead of throwing him around and zapping.
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: One Flew Over the Mynok's Nest [help] Reply with quote

Downstrike wrote:

Sadly that all I got and I don’t want to just drop them off as patients.

I don't know if this counts, but if by "as patients" you just don't want high command sending them being sent as a group for convalescence, you could instead give one PC something acute and just nasty enough to need immediate, professional care, and the asylum has the only doctors in range.

The docs cheerfully patch the patient up, glad for visitors and a little variety in their routine. It only takes twenty minutes. But in the meantime, or while waiting out a bit of bureaucracy ("Civilians? Here? Yes, I believe the regulations permit... just a moment."), the PCs get enough of a look at the facility to realize something is deeply wrong. Maybe they even get a tour. I picture at least some of the senior staff being less openly nasty and more given to the brittle cheerfulness of deep denial. Maybe deep down they're desperate to be exposed while quite insistent up front that THERE IS NOTHING WRONG.

See also Poe's "The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: