The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A way out of some no-win scenarios...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> A way out of some no-win scenarios... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of it has been solved so far?

Complete Starship Construction System
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still looking for a light side solution...

The PCs could pin a copy of his wanted poster to him, and just drop him off in front of the local police station, ring the bell, and run away...

Or the PCs bounty hunter could turn him in for the reward. Surely such a psychopathic killer is wanted somewhere...
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
How much of it has been solved so far?

Well, I think that I have enough answers on Djas to hammer something out, but for the Crutag scenario, to quote myself, "My primary concern is how to structure the encounter so that it serves as a fair test of his grasp of the Jedi Code/willingness to put it into action (ideally a clearly right, wrong, and neutral option, with the major off-the-rails possible variables accounted for), whilst simultaneously staying true to Crutag's motivations in this scenario."

I think I don't quite have a grasp yet on the way that the encounter with half-crazed Crutag could really serve as a test of the Force-Sensitive's Jedi Code ethics- I.E. When a bestial, half-crazed man with a legitimate grievance is attacking the character(s) responsible for stranding him there and not easily talked down or reasoned with, what solutions represent win, loss, or draw in trying to bring the Jedi Code, as spelled out in the RAW, to bear?

Obviously, killing him would be a failure. Would fighting back with non-lethal intent also be a failure, as it's resorting to violence? Or perhaps a neutral- not a failure, but not exactly holding to the 'violence as a last resort' ideal either- neither to be punished NOR rewarded? And what could he do to win in that situation- beyond perhaps a not-necessarily-realistic 'talking him down' which Crutag would likely be in no mood (or state of mind) to hear? Is subduing him a failure to avoid violence? Or, if carried out nonlethally and without injury, a success, as it avoided further violence or harm? Etc.

Does that make sense?

Volar- I think I'm good with Djas- though for the record, the PCs don't have a bounty hunter (I'm seeing that some groups have one of each archetype? I have... a pilot... who may become a pilot/jedi, Smile Thye don't really fit the archetypes), and Djas himself is wanted- he is a card-carrying IPKC bounty hunter. Smile

Hard core OT, all the way!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if he was more than half crazed? What if he just turned animal? He might ruthlessly and cunningly attack your characters, and then run into the swamp, striking and fading like a guerilla, and your players would have to recognize that he's not even behaving like a man. Not stealing weapons, just food, not employing strategy, just tactics. Not trying to leave. Their ultimate success might require that he be taken back to civilization and institutionalized in a good mental hospital on a well-to-do world.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Make him act half crazed - wild eyes, yelling or shrieking like a primate, repeatedly muttering to himself. Maybe he he grabs a blaster but then doesn't use it as anything more than a club.

1. A draw might be no one gets killed and no one gets maimed.

2. A win might be (a) getting him off planet to a hospital where the poor dumb brute can be cared for or (b) reawakening Crutas' sapience, or (c) realizing they did him wrong and apologizing.

3. A big win might be (a) two or more of the above or (b) getting him to accept their apology.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds good- much in the direction I was originally trending, but far more detailed. One other question, then- loss. 'No one is maimed or killed' is a broad range- does initiating a violent but nonlethal solution count as a loss or a draw? A.K.A. If death or maiming (and possibly injury?) are failure and no one dying (but Crutag not really being helped, healed, or reawawkened) is a draw, where does the middle ground in-between fall- especially in terms of attacking vs. defending, causing injury if nonlethal, etc.? That would be the last frontier to breach, methinks. (And since I never bothered cracking the pages between the start and end of the Jedi Code section before a few weeks ago, the reason I continue to rely on the wisdom of my RPG elders) Smile

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought mindor was where he fought vader over the kyburian crystal..
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
This sounds good- much in the direction I was originally trending, but far more detailed. One other question, then- loss. 'No one is maimed or killed' is a broad range- does initiating a violent but nonlethal solution count as a loss or a draw? A.K.A. If death or maiming (and possibly injury?) are failure and no one dying (but Crutag not really being helped, healed, or reawawkened) is a draw, where does the middle ground in-between fall- especially in terms of attacking vs. defending, causing injury if nonlethal, etc.? That would be the last frontier to breach, methinks. (And since I never bothered cracking the pages between the start and end of the Jedi Code section before a few weeks ago, the reason I continue to rely on the wisdom of my RPG elders) Smile
A draw could be graceful, in that it was non-violent, or clumsy in being non-lethal, but still violent. I'd say permanent injury is the loss line.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
'No one is maimed or killed' is a broad range- does initiating a violent but nonlethal solution count as a loss or a draw?
The Jedi shouldn't be starting the combat. But if Crutag attacks it is reasonable to defend oneself or others.

Where it can get trickyh is if the Jedi knows or should have known that Crutag was marooned and left for dead (in effect) by the Jedi's companions then the Jedi has some obligation to at least not make things worse (and really should be trying to make things better) for Crutag - and killing him or cutting off a limb would certainly be making things worse.

Also if it is clear that Crutag is mad or out of control the Jedi may have some obligation to treat him differently (better) than someone who is able to knowingly choose to attack. That can get tricky since absent some force skills like life sense or some force intution it may be very hard for a PC to tell the difference between some poor wretch driven past the limits of human endurance, a mad dog who can only be put down quickly and cleanly, and someone who has turned to the dark side in rage and anger. So I would tend to either give the Jedi a chance to sense the difference or be a bit lenient in interpretting events after the fact.

Not sure if that's what you were asking.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I thought mindor was where he fought vader over the kyburian crystal..

That was Mimban. Smile Mindor was first established in the Essential Chronology, and later expanded in Matthew Stover's Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor novel a few years back.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.. Got the 2 confused then.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Crutag is still waiting, but for Puhr... the characters blasted out of Bothawui (having left the NPC in a local hospital) and ran the picket to avoid inspection which would find Puhr; this has made them and their ship marked (though not exactly 'galaxies most wanted') outlaws who will be flagged by most legal systems, restricting their freedom to travel to most worlds- as a byproduct, however, Puhr has no idea they were on Bothawui, leaving him unable to locate the hospital-bound NPCs.

The characters, studiously trying to avoid a DSP, took him to another nearby world, dropped him at a hospital, conscious (to avoid anything looking suspicious)- at which point he immediately began shouting that he was being kidnapped. The PCs were taken in for police statements, and arrested after a search of their ship turned up the Glitterstim. They were broken out of jail and stole their ship after assaulting several law enforcement officers (though the one that was badly injured, a PC risked their life/freedom to stay behind and treat 'till the last moment, barely diving into the ship under a hail of blaster fire) and fled- making them wanted outlaws on TWO worlds- basically, they will no longer be able to show their faces in public except on lawless worlds... and Puhr is still out there, plotting revenge somewhere... but no DSPs, and no NPC deaths.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
They were broken out of jail and stole their ship after assaulting several law enforcement officers (though the one that was badly injured, a PC risked their life/freedom to stay behind and treat 'till the last moment, barely diving into the ship under a hail of blaster fire) and fled- making them wanted outlaws on TWO worlds- basically, they will no longer be able to show their faces in public except on lawless worlds... and Puhr is still out there, plotting revenge somewhere... but no DSPs, and no NPC deaths.
Sounds like a great Star Wars adventure ending. Very Happy

Also regarding how known/wanted PCs are...in keeping with the source material where the only surviving Alderaanian Royal, a known and wanted smuggler, and the last of the Jedi can all run around the galaxy (sometimes together) without being swamped by local or Imperial forces every place they go, I tend to be equally generous with the PCs. Generally I restrict violations to single planets or systems. Remember Dr. "I have the death sentence on twelve systems" Evazan lists his violations by separate system rather then Empire wide.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but tatooine is a lawless outland area...

As a q to the OP.. Did they break out themselves, or did someone else break them out ?? The way you wrote it, it seems like the latter (though there is no mention of whom).
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
"I have the death sentence on twelve systems"
exactly the point I would have made.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: