The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GPS in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> GPS in Star Wars Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: GPS in Star Wars Reply with quote

Has anyone ever played around with a Star Wars equivalent for global positioning systems? In the modern world, satellites in orbit are relatively immune to attack, but in the SWU, where space travel is common, they would be little more than target practice. As such, a different approach would be required. I have a couple ideas...

In the Imperial Sourcebook, there is mention of the HOS, or Hyperspace Orbiting Scanner, which orbits a planet at hyperspace velocities and scanning computer network activity by detection and analysis of the computer network's mass shadow. What if someone could do something similar with a navigation satellite, putting it into orbit around the planet in hyperspace, so that it is almost impossible to intercept, but still broadcasts a signal that allows a person on the planet's surface to generate precise navigation data on a hand-held or vehicle mounted unit?

As far as something on a sector or galactic scale, we already have the Holonet, with its thousands of transceiver satellites in deep space throughout the galaxy. What if a ship-mounted unit could generate navigation data based on broadcasts from the various transceivers?

Just some late-night rambling, but I'd like to hear your thoughts...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered that something in the nature of GPS would exist and be common place on Core worlds, and highly developed worlds, and any world of "Space" or "Information Age" technology or above, and definately on worlds that are very highly developed and can build interstellar spacecraft. Many Space technology worlds, and certainly many of the developed core worlds and colonies have numerous orbitals in the form of Space stations, planetary defenses, shipyards, and it's easy enough for the sensor and computer aparatus that is needed for GPS to be on such stations. Expanded Universe sources clearly indicate that satelites do exist and are in use throughout the galaxy, and so I see no reason why some form of advanced GPS could not be in use very similar as it is today (I in fact addressed this issue in a D6 Space Marine type campaign I ran, including the difficulties and pitfalls of it). Surely it's easy enough for any orbital capital ship, or ship in general, to use it's sensors and computers to map out a world and provide a form of positioning data to it's ground forces.
As far as satelites, I would also say it stands to reason that any space faring civilisation with Shields and weapons technology that can mount faster than light drives on a 1 man fighter could easily add defensive capabilities to a satelite, even a comm satelite. Given that almost everything in star wars has shields, I see no reason a satelite wouldn't. However, as to them being "Easy Targets" I sort of disagree. Many satelites in real life are only slighter bigger than a person, and a few are smaller, and if we follow that the same circuitry would use less space and be smaller in the Star Wars setting (and indications are that it would) then satelites that are purely for communications or GPS data might only be Character scale, or Speeder Scale at best (surely one at Starfighter scale would be more than a mere sensor and comms satelite). Given this, Capital scale weapons can't even target them, and starfighter scale would have a really tough time except at close range. More importantly, the gunnery crews of the capital ships will undoubtedly be more concerned with snub fighters, orbitting weapons and defensive satelites, and planetary emplacemtns to worry about picking off a few measily comm and GPS sats. Even more to the point, if the empire is so cheap they don't want to drain power to destroy escape pods without lifesigns, why waste the time and effort on satelites that pose no threat and can more easily be jammed (see below for even more on this). Sure, they might deploy some fighters to take them out once other threats are dealt with, but again this will depend on whether the intent is to conquor and hold, or to decimate the planet - if the intent is to hold, then the more infrastructure you can capture unharmed, the less you need to put in place of your own. Even more of concern, except in significant conflict or time of war, why would they go around blowing up satelites?
A bigger problem to GPS and orbital communications, and a good reason to explain close in dogfighting as seen in the Star Wars movies, I found was explained really well in the Novelizations of the Japanes Anime M.S. Gundam. In a setting where technology exists to blanket entire systems with sensor and comms disruptive radiation and magnetic fields as to mnake long range communications and sensors useless, then such satelites would either need to be extremely large and powerful to cut through the static (thus making them costly and a military target) or only be of use in times of peace. Most likely, a battleflett on the attack would take every effort to jam all such comms and sensors, and may even deploy satelites of it's own for that purpose (as was the issue in my military D6 campaign...only military grade comms and devices had a prayer in such situations).

Personally I never liked that whole satelites at hyperspeed crud - it is counterintuitive to everything else said about hyperspace and astrogation (as the satelite would pose a definite navigation hazard and iminent threat of collision), and would cause serious disruptive effects so close to a planet.

I think the real reason there was nothing said in Star Wars cinema, or many novels, and especially the RPG about such use of satelites is that the tech just did not exist when most of it was written. After all, comlinks in the standard Star Wars book are still mostly 1 channel, voice only, and we have cell phones today that can broadcast full video in 3D! These are things I feel a GM must just wrap his head around and adapt to and either add in with little overthought, or state plainly that it's "A galaxy far far away...technology took a different path".

if my writing is a bit on the rambling side, it's late, I'm exausted, and very stressed out because of impending events of this morning...hope it is not taken as brash or argumentative, that is not my intent, merely offering up my thoughts on this.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the other issues that came up regarding comms, GPS, and surveilance satelites in my marine campaign and why they didn't just try to destroy them was - why destroy what you can turn to your own use. By instead hacking in to the systems and using the enemies satelites they couldmonitor the enemies communications, track their movements, and access the geographical data on the planet to plot and invasion... this took the age of electronic warfare to new extremes, as not only would the sides build better and more resistant satelites and computers to resist intrusion and break through jamming, but would develop tactics to allow limitted break ins for feeding false information and counter-hacking. Only when intrusion was unachievable would jamming on a blanket and saturated scale be done, as this was inhibitive to comms on both sides. Only when the outright destruction of all strategic targets was planned would satelites and orbitals be freely targeted for destruction. Think "Independance Day", i.e. "Their using our own Satelites against us." It is one of the oldest concepts of military strategy, "turn your enemies strengths into weaknesses." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, why assume à 'gps' would use satellites at all? Perhaps thats 'old tech'?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook before you go shutting down the idea. They actually use a device called a Directional Transponder (page 96) that is essentially a GPS system with a map display that bases its location information from orbiting satellites. In a battle, the satellites have a survival rate of approximately one hour, as they are primary targets for starfighters and hunter/killer satellites. The tech may not fit in your version of the SWU, but it is a part of the official SWU, as does the HOS system that I based my concept upon.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Check the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook before you go shutting down the idea. They actually use a device called a Directional Transponder (page 96) that is essentially a GPS system with a map display that bases its location information from orbiting satellites. In a battle, the satellites have a survival rate of approximately one hour, as they are primary targets for starfighters and hunter/killer satellites. The tech may not fit in your version of the SWU, but it is a part of the official SWU, as does the HOS system that I based my concept upon.

Huh...that time of the month? I didnt shut anything down! And isnt the HOS described in the ISB?

I didnt say that satellites couldnt exist, but if the survivability of them is such a vulnerability, I guess someone would come up with a simpler solution than using them. The very specific idea about a hyperspace espionage satellite imo doesnt give us much to go on regarding how it would be used in a gps system. It need to exit hyperspace to communicate with realspace to begin with as the special droid ships does with the HOS.

Also, regarding alternatives to satellites, when was the soucebooks written? 80s? Re-realeased beginning of the 90s. Has there been any newer input regarding the 'official SWU'. Are there any stuff in the movies that outdates what was written in the 80s? Hint: Retorical questions.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Huh...that time of the month? I didnt shut anything down! And isnt the HOS described in the ISB?

Sorry. It's 3am here, and I should've been more specific. I was mostly replying to Kage's post.

Yes, HOS is described in the ISB, but the directional transponder is described in the RASB. I simply combined the two ideas to create a more high-tech directional transponder that places the satellites in a much more inaccessible location. In this case, putting something in hyperspace in the SWU is much like putting something in orbital space in the modern world. It may be there, and it may be usable and useful, but that doesn't mean that it can be gotten to easily.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere did I "shut down the idea". I provided a lot of alternative ways to look at use of satelites and use of global positioning and the applications and implications in a combat situation. You asked if anyone played around with it and for thoughts. If you didn't want them why ask for them. The RPG does not really address GPS, and I did in fact point out that official sources DO talk about the use of satelites, especially defensive and weapon satelites.

As to the HOS, I stated I never liked it when it was presented and why - and I stand by my feelings on it regardless of whether it is official to the rpg or not - it was poorly thought out and it conflicts with the RPG and other official source information regarding hyperspace navigation, travel, and proximity to gravity wells.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Sorry. It's 3am here, and I should've been more specific. I was mostly replying to Kage's post.

I knew who you were addressing, and it's clear to me you did not read my post in it's entirety - thanks for the rude reply to a well thought out response providing lot's of ideas on using satelites and alternatives to satelites. Made the effort of typing it all so worth it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
As to the HOS, I stated I never liked it when it was presented and why - and I stand by my feelings on it regardless of whether it is official to the rpg or not - it was poorly thought out and it conflicts with the RPG and other official source information regarding hyperspace navigation, travel, and proximity to gravity wells.

How so? The description is general enough that it doesn't defy any of the known conventions regarding hyperspace travel. We don't know at what distance the HOS orbits a planet. Since the RPG puts a minimum jump distance at 50 units (IIRC), a satellite could be placed in orbit at 50-60 units distance from a planet, so the transition into hyperspace would not be affected overmuch. In fact, putting the satellite much further out from the planet also minimizes your other concern about the satellite interfering with navigation. In addition, there is nothing in the canon that says hyperspace courses must be linear. WEG starmaps very rarely have straight-line routes from Point A to Point B, so ships must have the capacity to turn or otherwise alter course without leaving hyperspace. Proximity to a gravity well might actually be beneficial to the satellite maintaining a constant orbit, so long as it doesn't get too close to the gravity well of the planet being orbited..

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
KageRyu wrote:

How so? The description is general enough that it doesn't defy any of the known conventions regarding hyperspace travel.

Actually it does - it contradicts just about every official piece of information about hyperspace. While the rulebooks for 2nd revised, or even 2nd, may have added that 50-60 units (with a unit being an undefined measurement that's abstract) the RPG books, as well as all other official material says a Hyperspace jump can not be initiated in a gravity well - Orbit is still within a gravity well by definition. That is a contradiction. Then there's the entire concept of how an object orbitting a planet at superluminal velocities would not only interfere with other incoming and departing trafic, but the effects on the planet, again based on both Official, RPG, and Expanded Universe accounts of what HAS happened when a ship does bypass the safeties to jump to hyperspace from within the gravity well (there are several planets throughout the Star Wars Univers that are apocalyptic and wasteland worlds because of said effects).
Star Wars established that Hyperspace was a term for it's FTL, but that the ship remained in real space (except in a few of the comics and novels) - unlike other sci-fi properties where hyperspace is an alternate dimension that the ship moves into and out of. Therefore, having something in perpetual hyperspace orbit around a planet would create a serious navigationhazard and lead to an iminent collision. I never brought up linear as any part of why I did not like them - however there is information in cannon sources about why some courses are not linear and it has to do with the effects of gravitation fields - and yes it also says that minor adjustments can be made to course, but that you must know ahead of time and a turn can take several light years or parsecs to complete. There is also mention in official sources that many hyperspace routes appear broken as the ships will drop out of FTL hyperspace periodicly to take readings and readjust the course - especially on the long runs where the trip can take weeks and the information can not be plotted up to date for the entire journey.

No one's saying if you disagree you can't use it, as I said in my first post, these were my feelings and opinions based on the contradictions and my common sense feelings on the issue, but the contradictions are real.
I do not wish to be argumentative, that was never my intent. I took the gist of your first post as to be that GPS and Satelites were not feasible because they could be blown out of the skies with ease, and asking for others thoughts. I then presented thoughts on why satelites were still feasible, why I felt they would not be destroyed so easily, why an attacker may not wish to destroy them, and ways to have GPS even without satelites - I took some of it from official and unofficial Star Wars sources, real life principles and concepts of warfare, and other D6 games I had run as I thought it might be helpful to you or others who were reading and might give some new ideas for adventure hooks and campaigns about satelites and GPS and surveilance in Star Wars. I even said that if my ideas were not coming across clearly I was sorry as it was late and I am stressed.
If my thoughts and alternate interpretations of material are unwelcome though, I will keep them to myself from now on.
Either way, I have surgery to get too - I may check back when I am home again in a few days.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadnium's Fantastic Tech Page 67 has a navigation/direction finder:
Quote:

You'll never get lost if you have the most recent addition to the Celextrian line of personal outdoor survival technology. This handy device triangulates communications transmissions from orbital satellites to pinpoint your location to within 20 meters. Inclement weather does not hamper this device and in most cases triangulation can be performed at any time of day or night (provided the planet uses a network of satellites equipped with standard location protocol signals).

With a surface area map pre-programmed into the navigation/direction finder (NavDif), finding your home will be as simple as looking up at the stars.

Model: Celextrian SNDF-12
Type: Satellite Navigation/Direction Finder
Skill: Survival
Cost: 850
Availability: 2
Game Notes: An Easy survival roll is necessary for normal operation. In lieu of standard orbital satellite relay networks, coorinated broadcast signals may be receieved from local broadcast networks by adjusting the reception bandwidth (a moderate survival roll).

And in Gundarks there is the Automap:

Quote:
Model: SoroSuub “Tracker” GPS Module
Type: Global positioning system
Scale: Character
Skill: Computer programming/repair
Cost: 2,000
Availability: 2
Game Notes: It is virtually impossible for a character using an Automap to get lost. As long as the device is linked to an orbiting source of data (such as a ship’s sensors or weather satellite) the device relays accurate data regarding the user’s location, local weather conditions, other moving objects and navigational hazards. The link requires a Moderate computer programming/repair roll once per hour to maintain. Failure indicates that the link has been terminated and the device will extrapolate the character’s position with marginal accuracy. (Unlinked automaps produce faulty position data on anything less than a Difficult computer programming/repair roll.)
Source: Gundark’s Fantastic Technology (page 80)

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
KageRyu wrote:

How so? The description is general enough that it doesn't defy any of the known conventions regarding hyperspace travel. We don't know at what distance the HOS orbits a planet. Since the RPG puts a minimum jump distance at 50 units (IIRC), a satellite could be placed in orbit at 50-60 units distance from a planet, so the transition into hyperspace would not be affected overmuch. In fact, putting the satellite much further out from the planet also minimizes your other concern about the satellite interfering with navigation. In addition, there is nothing in the canon that says hyperspace courses must be linear. WEG starmaps very rarely have straight-line routes from Point A to Point B, so ships must have the capacity to turn or otherwise alter course without leaving hyperspace. Proximity to a gravity well might actually be beneficial to the satellite maintaining a constant orbit, so long as it doesn't get too close to the gravity well of the planet being orbited..

How so?? IF it is in hyperspace, the would that not limit the routes in and out from the planet? Also if it is IN hyperspace, how can it's signals be detected by stuff not in hyperspace. Remember hyper comm units drain enormous power to operate, something i don't see a sattelite being able to generate.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Actually it does - it contradicts just about every official piece of information about hyperspace. While the rulebooks for 2nd revised, or even 2nd, may have added that 50-60 units (with a unit being an undefined measurement that's abstract) the RPG books, as well as all other official material says a Hyperspace jump can not be initiated in a gravity well - Orbit is still within a gravity well by definition.

IIRC, the point was not that the ship had to be completely outside of a planet's gravity well to jump, merely that it had to be far enough outside to safely make the jump. 50 units was simply the benchmark that WEG applied to generate a usable distance for gaming purposes. By definition, anything that occurs inside of a solar system (or even a galaxy itself) occurs within a gravity well, so it is not a matter of being completely outside of a gravity well as it is being far enough away that the effect of the gravity field is sufficiently reduced to safely make a jump to hyperspace.

Quote:
That is a contradiction. Then there's the entire concept of how an object orbitting a planet at superluminal velocities would not only interfere with other incoming and departing trafic, but the effects on the planet, again based on both Official, RPG, and Expanded Universe accounts of what HAS happened when a ship does bypass the safeties to jump to hyperspace from within the gravity well (there are several planets throughout the Star Wars Univers that are apocalyptic and wasteland worlds because of said effects).

I am willing to concede that an object orbiting a planet in hyperspace as you describe would pose a traffic hazard. Where I disagree is the degree of a traffic hazard it presents. As I said, if the object were placed sufficiently far out from the planet to safely permit a jump to hyperspace, then the sheer volume of space involved is immense, and the chances of an intersection between a satellite and another starship, however massive, are vanishingly small. Just because something is possible does not make it probable.

As far as your assertion that jumping to hyperspace too close to a planet can cause a natural disaster, I would appreciate it if you could quote some sources. There is no mention in the Wookieepedia article on hyperspace of catastrophes being caused by hyperspace jumps too close to a planet, only of catastrophes caused by ships colliding with a planet while in hyperspace.

Now granted, the chances of a collision might be sufficient for planetary governments to take precautions, such as directing space traffic into specific inbound and outbound flight paths that avoid the satellite's path. In the case of a satellite deployed in military operations, the military involved may not notify anyone apart from their own troops, letting the satellite be just another hazard to be encountered by their opponents. Either way, just because something creates a traffic hazard is not a reason for it to remain unutilized.

Quote:
Star Wars established that Hyperspace was a term for it's FTL, but that the ship remained in real space (except in a few of the comics and novels) - unlike other sci-fi properties where hyperspace is an alternate dimension that the ship moves into and out of.

Not sure where you are getting this. Every source I have read, including the WEG sourcebooks, states that hyperpace is an alternate dimension where the physical distances traveled are much shorter than their realspace analogs. Even the name "hyperspace" implies an alternate physical realm where things move faster.

Quote:
and yes it also says that minor adjustments can be made to course, but that you must know ahead of time and a turn can take several light years or parsecs to complete.

Operative word being "can", not "will". Nowhere does it say that the turns can't be sharper, especially in the case of an unmanned satellite on a pre-programmed course that is specifically designed to orbit around a given point on a circular course no more than a few light-seconds across.

Quote:
No one's saying if you disagree you can't use it, as I said in my first post, these were my feelings and opinions based on the contradictions and my common sense feelings on the issue, but the contradictions are real.
I do not wish to be argumentative, that was never my intent. I took the gist of your first post as to be that GPS and Satelites were not feasible because they could be blown out of the skies with ease, and asking for others thoughts. I then presented thoughts on why satelites were still feasible, why I felt they would not be destroyed so easily, why an attacker may not wish to destroy them, and ways to have GPS even without satelites - I took some of it from official and unofficial Star Wars sources, real life principles and concepts of warfare, and other D6 games I had run as I thought it might be helpful to you or others who were reading and might give some new ideas for adventure hooks and campaigns about satelites and GPS and surveilance in Star Wars. I even said that if my ideas were not coming across clearly I was sorry as it was late and I am stressed.
If my thoughts and alternate interpretations of material are unwelcome though, I will keep them to myself from now on.
Either way, I have surgery to get too - I may check back when I am home again in a few days.

I think I was suffering from something similar. 3amitis, or something. My read on the official information (and the subject of my original post) was that, while satellites are useful, they are much more vulnerable than satellites that serve a similar purpose in our modern world. Modern satellites are practically invulnerable to physical attack, being placed beyond the reach of anything apart from specialized anti-space weaponry only available to the most powerful nation states. In the SWU, with space being one of the primary settings, satellites are vulnerable to starfighter attacks, hunter/killer satellites, and possibly even anti-orbital weaponry. My proposition regarding a satellite in hyperspace was a suggestion on giving said satellites the same sort of relative immunity from attack that our modern satellites have.

That being said, I see a system like this existing in parallel to existing, real-space-based systems, perhaps as a next evolutionary step, or perhaps as a purely military system specifically developed to counter a satellite's vulnerability. Such a system would likely not be deployed long term, and could potentially be self-deploying and recovering (more along the lines of a drone starship that jumps into a target system in advance of a task force, staying in its pre-planned orbit for the duration of the conflict, then jumping back out of the system once the battle is over and more conventional systems can be safely established).

As far as GPS on a galactic scale, using the pre-existing Holo-Net, I see that as much more viable for your suggestion of co-opting an enemy's technology for personal use. There are already several instances in the official material of the Holo-Net being used by the Fringe or the Alliance for their own purposes.

Hope your surgery goes alright, and good luck to you.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How so?? IF it is in hyperspace, the would that not limit the routes in and out from the planet?

Depends on how far out it is orbiting. If it is in close orbit crowded with other starships, then the odds of a collision certainly go up. However, the further out the orbit is located from the planet, the total volume of space increases exponentially, and the likelihood of a collision decreases inversely. There are other steps that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of a collision even further (see my previous post).

Quote:
Also if it is IN hyperspace, how can it's signals be detected by stuff not in hyperspace. Remember hyper comm units drain enormous power to operate, something i don't see a sattelite being able to generate.

IIRC, Hypercomm units use a lot of power because they are transmitting complex signals over extreme distances. All this one would be doing is transmitting a relatively low power signal that hand-held or vehicle mounted units on a nearby planet could detect and use for pinpoint navigation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: