The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bringing a campaign together
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Bringing a campaign together Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD I understand why you find Coynites high powered. They are one of the more powerful races for the reasons you laid out. Not as bad as Noghri, but still potentially more of a combat monster than most species. With the cultural boundaries we use they work for us, but then they aren't being played by twinks or extreme min-max players - which helps.

Yes Coynites have and use blasters. We play them as preferring melee weapons. As we play it, using a medium repeating blaster against normal targets in a combat situation wouldn't, in and of itself, be dishonorable, but it wouldn't gain you any honor. Many, but not all, Coynites will, all things being equal, try to fight in a way that gains them honor and adds to their name. At least that's the way we play them. We also treat the heavy Coynite armor as battle armor - similar to a knight's heavy armor in the Medieval period in Europe or a samurai's armor in Feudal Japan. It's not something every Coynite has and it's not something any Coynite would walk around in casually.

We also have criminal Coynites called the na'raisa or unseen. They act much like the Yakuza - with a bit of ninja thrown in. Many na'raisa havae been declared af'harl (cowardly deceiver) which makes them outcast in Coynite society and anyone may kill them on the spot. Being confirmed as a na'raisa automatically gets one declared af'harl (if they haven't already been outcast). Somewhat like feudal Japan, some Coynite houses do hire the na'raisa for spying, assassination, or other dirty tricks - but they try very hard to keep such dishonorable dealings secret.

Fallon Kell wrote:
Bren wrote:
I still hate the Thunderers. If a DL-44 was good enough for Han Solo...
Was it? As I recall, Han's was heavily modified.
Yeah, in the character stats it had a macroscope and stuff which gave it some bonus to hit and it did 5D damage.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually got a house rule limiting heavy blasters as a form of mass produced modified blaster pistol, using the old 2e modification rules.
Maximum you can go on a pistol in our game is 5D+2 damage, with maximum mishap. The "standard" 5D heavy blaster pistols however, being mass produced don't have a mishap modifier, that's what you pay for and what makes them cool, but they give away range and ammo for it.

There is a way around this however, you can modify a blaster carbine from the other end of the scale, effectively cut one down to be one-handed then supercharge it with mishap modifiers so you can conceivably come up with a 6D+2 blaster that can be used one-handed, but it basically looks like you're shooting a Stormtrooper One blaster rifle one-handed with the stock folded, it's a big gun. You can't use it in a quickdraw holster for example, it will always cost you a MAP to draw (and every now and then it might blow your arm off with a mishap). The Thunderer and another superduper gun in the heavy blaster weapons list (1 does 6D+2 the other 6D+1), I just apply these house rules for, you can purchase these weapons on the black market but the reason those particular ones are banned/black market only is safety reasons... (ie. those guns I assert are really compact, modified blaster carbines being used one-handed in attempt to explore the limitations of sidearm blaster technology, with risks).

In actual pistol sizes, 5D+2 is the limit, based on a 4D blaster pistol base damage.

Partly the reason for this house rule was to have a consistent, firm set of ground rules on blaster modifications that works between in game weapons listings published, and adheres to Player blaster modification rules. At the same time it fleshed out classes of blasters to specific categories nicely: pistols 4D base, rifles 5D base, cannon/repeaters 6D base. An E-Web for example falls outside single user achievable damage so is light artillery, sure enough requires a 2-3 man crew and static mount.

But as for Coynites being overpowered, I think once we start rolling two handfuls of dice for a Jedi's lightsabre damage we can lighten up a bit unless you're finding within your gameworld environment, a particular PC species is too overpowered for the campaign and GMing. I can handle Coynites just fine and have no problem taking one out with a squad or two of Stormtroopers (you don't want to know), but found I had to draw the line at Noghri. Had a PC group of two combat orientated Noghri lay waste to the entire gaming world once, just slaughtering/eating their way from ship to ship then activating the beacon (the only starship skill they ever learned) to wait for another rescue ship/meal turn up. Learned the lesson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: