The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is your style?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What is your style? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: What is your style? Reply with quote

What is your style of gamemastering? Do you tend to be more lenient, letting the characters get away with more and giving them breaks, or do you "sock it to 'em"? What do you focus most on? Do you focus more on the story, more on the character development, more on combat, etc.?

Personally, I tend to be a little lenient toward the characters if they've been playing well. I also tend to focus on combat, sometimes hurrying through the story to get to the fighting. Guess I have to work on that... Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Mvlakh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to let my players do what they want cause they always finds ways to get knee deep in bantha podo. i also like to let my player get away with some stuf unless they do something really dumb.
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but I tend to sock it to my players a little too much sometimes. Throw a ton of stuff at them and see how they do. The only thing is it seems that my players always find the one thing I forgot and get out of it. I guess I have to work on being smarter than my players.

I like to just have a basic idea of what the adventure will be and then let the characters develop it. I don't like following books too much because sometimes it forces you to steer your characters in a direction they may not want to go or just don't see. Books are good starters for adventure ideas and some background work but customizing it yourself really puts a unique touch to it.
MacDuriz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part I let my players do what they want, but I made somethings for they are going to do what I want, to continue the mission.
I have a lot of combat in my game but I get to have more discussion... without blasters... it's very difficult sometime: I have a wookie in my group and some smuggler very fretful...
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, MacDuriz. A good gamemaster should be able to "steer" the players the way he wants them to go without the players even knowing it... Very Happy

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the two games that i've GMed i've found that not pulling punches gets players to play a lot smarter, they don't pick unnessesary fights and they usually try to find some way to talk their way out of their current situation. I like to keep suspense up in my games and the easiest way to do that is to make the characters believe that they could be killed at any moment.

But overall i tend to try to let the characters do anything they wish. And with the way my players play they usually find enough drama to suit their pallet without my help Smile
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. I think sometimes it's more fun if the characters can't always just shoot their way out of every situation. Making them think of another solution is fun and adds more variety to your adventures. "We're totally out-gunned! RUN!!!!!" Very Happy

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, or roll me out that con Very Happy
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* rolls a 1 on the wild die for the con roll *
"What, what am I doing here? Um... I... uh... well... BLAST 'EM!!!" Laughing

I like adventures that make characters use a variety of skills. They make players realize that maybe they should spend some character points on something other than Blaster and Dodge for once... Very Happy

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, if every situation is "There they are, BLAST THEM!" then you're no better than those jack@$$* in Knights of the Dinner Table. They're funny, but it doesn't seem like they think logically 8)
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Laughing

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea As a director, I try to balance my missions. One third puzzles, one third exploration (different planets/organizations/NPCs/situations), and one third shoot 'em ups. I always create situations where the characters can suceed or fail. My general guideline is "It's the players' game. I write half the script. They write the other half."

If you find your characters are resulting to blasters in every situation, perhaps you, as director, aren't doing enough to show them alternatives. NPCs who have their own goals is a good way to do this.
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making characters think is a trick with our group sometimes. I know I am guilty of this when I am playing sometimes. I find that it is up to the GM to get characters to make their characters well rounded. If a player picks a skill, try to incorporate as many of the skills the players have into the adventure as possible. If they get to use more than just blaster, dodge, and brawling, then they will be more apt to take other skills.

Also, if a person rolls a con but can't think of anything really good to come up with, you should let him succeed. He rolls a 25 on his con check and .... "ummm ... we were just bird watching here with these rifles." Ok cheesy but hey, maybe the guard is an avid bird watcher. Rolling Eyes
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think the GM should put characters into situations where their blasters won't help them sometimes.

"You hear that patrol of 15 Stormtroopers coming down the hallway. They've got you totally out-gunned. There's a door you could duck into but it's locked. You can roll your security skill if you'd like to try to pick the lock."

Maybe they'll think about spending some character points on their security skill when the adventure is over... Very Happy

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or spend those character points to succeed in the first place Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: