The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is your style?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What is your style? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i'm happy that we could help you out arcadia Smile
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a MOG, I have a real loose style. Just about every game is a continuation of the previous game, so I have an improv/spur of the moment way of things. My players have more ideas about what they want to do than I. Believe me, with Ragnar in the game things are going to be interesting. I just go with the flow. He can get into more trouble than I could ever throw at him on my own. Late.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few times I've pulled a move that i've seen done in Dragon Strike... I have all the players declare what they're going to do, roll, I do a few rolls for whatever (baddies, GMCs, ect...) and then i describe out the scene cinematically... but i've only really done this a few times, but it's really cool when i did it... Like one time with a speederbike missle 8) Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty much almost mandatory in our games that everyone, players and GM, describes everything as in-depth, detailed, and cinematic as possible.
We call it “being like Jackie”.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for my style i'd say im fairly loose with the rules,we have established im gratitus with Cps and as well with cash, i use the books as a time line and i weave my players in and out of whats happening if you know the books well i've got them in the thick of the Yannse Isard stuff in the X wing series stuff, Currently they work for Garm Bel Iblis as Mercs, none of my group started out knowing each other. we have a Bounty hunter who was freelance and has done jobs for both sides before he joined up with the rest of the guys, a smuggler easy enough to get in a big game hunter a jedi and my npc barbel merc. when they started i had the jedi needing a ride to do some studying here and there and as he got skill i had Garm contact the Academy (before i blew it up a few sessions ago) and say he needed an unknown who could be an oprative (i moved garm to Coruscant) this is where i hooked him up with the barbel loyal to all jedi of corse and already worked for garm he's really just a meat shield for the players. but he's my character and i play him heart and soul. the smuggler had done an odd job or two and lived down the street from my bounty hunter they had the same "agent" to find jobs from and the smuggler hired him as muscle one time for a while my smuggler was getting jobs and needed a small crew and he was paying my players out of his profits just like he would have to do they delivered some stuff to a planet where the big game hunter was when it got raided and he payed to hitch a ride with them back to civilization when the planet got raided. i really just go into my game with an outline of what i want to happen and i use the books as a time line since i have them right in the middle of the galaxy. the reason i give more character points than normal is the simple fact that luke skywalker on his way from tatoine to bespin learned enough about the force in those 3 weeks to be a formidable aprentice if not a knight and within a year he was considered a master... if thats the pace of the "hero's of the galaxy" i can try and keep up. i limited my group as i've said to a die cap for now so they didnt get to strong and its forced them to flesh out there characters and i make them roll play that too. wanting an upgrade to that hull or this and that well streetwise roll would let them know that they could make a run to sluis van or nar shadda and get a better price and much better work. while i don't have them taking major plot points away from the books they've been in on several key things, they attempted to stop the repulsor sled from raising the Lusankya from under coruscant. ( plot point this had to happen but they could try and stop it ) they were at the run down cafe where niles ferrier had all the members of the now smugglers aliance attacked they don't know it but they just recently delivered 12 tie defenders for Yannse Isard to Corellia they thought it was Blaster Gas the readings were right?! so i mean you can use the books as a guide for a timeline i like the post movie era we've always played in it. the only real rule i have is as far as my players interaction with Hero NPC's like Skywalker and Boba fett han and chewie. is this.

when it comes down to it. Boba Fett isn't on paper because that means he has a weakness thats tanigible or some flaw or something that he's not capable of. Where in the novels can you show me boba fett was incapable? wow i really rambled on... sorry guys.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Boba Fett isn't on paper

But Boba Fett is on paper...his stats are in a few of the books.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have the movie trilogy source book and the stats in the bounty hunters guide are far from complete and out of date with my time line
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Crell has his stats for post- ROTJ... in one of his new books... you should ask him.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did a personal update of his stats from the b-hunter book to my time line i just let my players think boba doesn't have stats. its a scare tactic
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i've heard his stats for post-ROTJ are crappy because of his injuries, but his new partner is supposed to be very skilled...
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dengar yep the man who hated solo but found a lover in manaroo and is starting to be nicer... kinda.. he doesn't think everyone is solo and only take hits on people that he could think look like solo. he just hates solo.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: What is your style? Reply with quote

Loc Taal wrote:
What is your style of gamemastering? Do you tend to be more lenient, letting the characters get away with more and giving them breaks, or do you "sock it to 'em"? What do you focus most on? Do you focus more on the story, more on the character development, more on combat, etc.?

Personally, I tend to be a little lenient toward the characters if they've been playing well. I also tend to focus on combat, sometimes hurrying through the story to get to the fighting. Guess I have to work on that... Very Happy

I'm lenient one players who haven't played too much before, harsh on bad players and probably even harsher on experienced players, adversity builds great players/characters, at least I think it does. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GM has a very twisted concept of what is good and evil. I have been in his group for about 3 years now and I've gotten one dark side points and that was for gutting a semi-innocent Hutt.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted a thread on rpg.net that became a rather long and involved debate about the nature of the Force and its use in gaming.

Here's a link: http://rpg.net/showthread.php?t=176323

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Star Wars D6 system lends itself to an action-oriented game. My group usually plays deeply involved roleplaying games where every step you take needs to be carefully planned ahead, and we use Star Wars as a sort of "stress relief" game.

Therefor we tend to get away with more then in other games and our sessions are usually a little lighthearted and we greatly enjoy the fast paced rythm. However, its definately not all crash boom bang, we do face moral dilemmas, sith lords, Star Destroyers and other nasty things. And dark side points flow quite fast (and in vast amounts when you're force sensitive) onto your character sheet if you're not careful.

In our campaign, we focus on story and character development, while combat happens every other session or so, which is a LOT more then in the other games I play. But we try to never let it become the focus of the game, even if we play in a very combat intensive scenario. There is always essential stuff to do for noncombatants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: