The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Alternate Universe: Two Ideas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Star Wars Alternate Universe: Two Ideas Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, the ray shield trap can use multiple projectors to extend the area, so what if it was used to make a full fledged prison cell which could extend/shrink to allow food to be brought in. If it were combined with the type of energy a Universal Energy Cage uses, it would protect the guards from Palpatine's mind affects and could extend and shrink to allow someone to enter and depart.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, would not absorb disapate energy have neutered that 'field?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Thinking about it, would not absorb disapate energy have neutered that 'field?

Do their stats say they had that ability? Plus, depending on the field's damage level, absorb/dissipate can get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Jerrod Owex
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Gry Sarth's 'Equipment' Collection - Page: 116, Universal Energy Cage wrote:
Model: Imperial Universal Energy Cage
Type: Enclosed prisoner transfer system
Scale: Character
Cost: 100,000
Availability: X (restricted to legal governments)
Move: 15; 45 kmh
Game Notes: Energy cage encloses prisoner In a force field
with a Strength of up to 15D (unit only applies as much
energy as necessary to restrain prisoner, so the energy level
is often much tower when not being resisted). Somehow, the
cage emanates a special type of energy that blocks Force
energies and similar mental energies with an effectiveness
of up to 15D. The unit has a special repulsor unit keeping
the prisoner suspended in the center of the cage. This
bottom mounted unit also supplies oxygen to the prisoner
(there are no provisions for food and water; it is presumed
that a Jedi will go into hibernation if he or she spends a long
time in the cage).
Source: Dark Empire Sourcebook (page 129), Gundark’s
Fantastic Technology (page 74)

Something like this then, lol. This would do nicely to hold Palpatine, or long enough at least.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think Windu's killing Palpatine would have been him going to the dark side, there are a few things to consider:

1. Palpatine MAY have allowed himself to become disarmed so he could show his true power to Anakin, along with forcing Anakin to choose between them. If that was the case, then Windu would have killed him in combat, and it would have been a moot point.

2. Windu killing Palpatine would have rid the galaxy of an interminable evil. While there were indeed methods of containing even Jedi, there's no guarantee that such measures were readily available in that locale. If that's the case, Windu would have been doing the only thing he could to ensure this evil didn't escape. I don't see that as a dark side move.

3. If no Jedi EVER should be allowed to kill ANYONE, then every Jedi you've seen on-screen is a dark sider. They've ALL killed. It boils down to INTENT. Windu wouldn't have been killing Palpatine in cold blood, nor would he have been performing an unconscionable act. He would have been ending the single greatest threat - not only to the Jedi, but to the galaxy at large - EVER. Palpatine was the culmination of centuries of Sith machinations and unchecked evil. Ending such a threat is a part of what the Jedi are there for in the first place.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
If you think Windu's killing Palpatine would have been him going to the dark side, there are a few things to consider:

1. Palpatine MAY have allowed himself to become disarmed so he could show his true power to Anakin, along with forcing Anakin to choose between them. If that was the case, then Windu would have killed him in combat, and it would have been a moot point.

2. Windu killing Palpatine would have rid the galaxy of an interminable evil. While there were indeed methods of containing even Jedi, there's no guarantee that such measures were readily available in that locale. If that's the case, Windu would have been doing the only thing he could to ensure this evil didn't escape. I don't see that as a dark side move.

3. If no Jedi EVER should be allowed to kill ANYONE, then every Jedi you've seen on-screen is a dark sider. They've ALL killed. It boils down to INTENT. Windu wouldn't have been killing Palpatine in cold blood, nor would he have been performing an unconscionable act. He would have been ending the single greatest threat - not only to the Jedi, but to the galaxy at large - EVER. Palpatine was the culmination of centuries of Sith machinations and unchecked evil. Ending such a threat is a part of what the Jedi are there for in the first place.

I tend to agree with you on this on (though I'm no expert so doubt my agreeing lends much weight).

1st I think Windu "being on the edge" of the dark side is a bit over blown. I have a couple of friends who are into martial arts (I forget which school they are into) and their son is starting to go towards the MMA. That said, they LOVE combat and from experience with my limited combative experience with my military training & training with them, they do not hold back in the ring. However, they are also devout Christians and some of the best people you could hope to know.

Also, also through the military I had a chance to train in Thailand, I saw that some very devout and committed Budaist are NOT passivist. They are hard-core fighters and rangers (but didn't like jumping at night but I digress).

With those, I do not think he is as close to the dark side as some think.

2nd, as pointed out earlier (or in the other thread), where Anakin killed Duku with anger etc, Windu's killing Palpatine would have been different (for the reasons you pointed out).

Forgive all spelling errors.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't anikin get a DSP for dooku? How may did windu have?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
... didn't like jumping at night but I digress...
Would you digress harder? That sounds really interesting to me...

Complete Starship Construction System
Frandal
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the energy cage... I have only three words to say.

1- Telekinesis
2- Plug/swicht
3- PWIIUUUuuuuuff ( sound of power going off )

For a so powerful beign as Palpatine ( talking in game terms we are talking of 15D here with tons of CS, DSP and FP to spend ) cutting off the power of even an entire building shouldn't be so hard ( remember size matters not Wink )

But still some of the scenario proposed are really interesting. I don't think that the one where the Jedi became nearly dictators instead of Palpatine is the most probable and one of the most exciting. I don't think that there is no need for Windu, or the Jedi to become dark siders. Palapatine had messed the galaxy enough to had the Jedi full hands of problems for decades. The Separatist and the roots of the Rebel Alliance would disagree with many of the measures that the Jedi should had to take in order to mantain peace and clean the Senate of the corrupt. The paranoia of the Jedi Council about the Sith could escalate even so far that they could use the clone armies to cut another Force philosophies close to the Dark Side, as the Dathomir Witches. Some of the Jedi Knight would oppouse... and the conflict in the Galaxy will continue. Even more darker if you want because in this scenario it would be difficult to know wich is good and wich is evil.

Despite the fact that I like something like this, I think it goes away from the idea of SW. I mean, I like the simplicity of the "Good vs. Evil" . You know who is good, you know who is evil. and that innocent approach is one of the appeals of the SW universe as a whole. At least from my humble opinion.

The scenario with a Luke turned to the Dark Side would be the end of the Rebellion as we all know it at the Battle of Endor. Perhaps Leia, Han and the moon's team could had survived and escaped, but it's unlikely ( hey it's Han after all, never tell him the odds! Wink ) Perhaps Mon Mothma is not part of the attack ( we don't see her at the attack and it's a wise move for the cautious leader) but they could had years to rebuild some resemblance of the Rebellion. And, at least for a time, the "Tarkin doctrine" would have worked nicely. The former hero of the Alliance turned into the new herald of the Emperor ( doesn't care if the Emperor is Palpatine or Vader in his place) and the new Death Star would discourage any system to fight agaisnt the New Order. A really dark time with little hope for the new heroes ( named the PCs)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Energy cage encloses prisoner In a force field
with a Strength of up to 15D (unit only applies as much
energy as necessary to restrain prisoner, so the energy level
is often much tower when not being resisted). Somehow, the
cage emanates a special type of energy that blocks Force
energies and similar mental energies with an effectiveness
of up to 15D.
The unit has a special repulsor unit keeping
the prisoner suspended in the center of the cage. This
bottom mounted unit also supplies oxygen to the prisoner
(there are no provisions for food and water; it is presumed
that a Jedi will go into hibernation if he or she spends a long
time in the cage).

Blocks force energies and similar mental energies with an effectiveness of up to 15D. That's for a standard mobile unit, for something that's hard wired into the planetary power grid, I don't see why you couldn't double or triple that max blockage.

The point is, it would be more interesting if someone broke Palpatine out rather than having him just use his force skills plus a force point. That defeats the purpose of interesting story, don't you think?

Even Magneto wasn't able to break himself out of a cell specifically designed to keep him held. That's why the cell is designed to hold the prisoner. Also, one must not forget the possibility of memory wiping Palpatine and exiling him to a barren world where he can't do any more damage to the galaxy at large.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na.. just knock him out, and keep him in a medically induced coma!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detox poison allows him to beat the drugs inducing the coma.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
lurker wrote:
... didn't like jumping at night but I digress...
Would you digress harder? That sounds really interesting to me...

Haaa ok. First a little background. Though I was in the AF, I trained specifically to work with special Army (and other sister services) units. Part of that training allowed me to become a jumpmaster (both static line and MFF).

Ok, now for the fun Thailand night jumps. We had modified birds with ‘light screen’ on the tailgate to block all in AC lights (which were dim blue anyway). To get your visual checks of the DZ and the surrounding air, you HAD to get out on the edge of the ramp and hold on like a spider to the screen and bend way around (into the open air) to properly do your checks. To top it off, it was one of those dark nights with NO moon. (It looks like when you open the ramp the darkness sucks out all the light in the AC out and you are in a sea of blackness) Now we (me and the guys I worked with) loved being out on the ramp and doing the checks, the Thai JMs not so much … you’d all but push them to the edge of the ramp, they would stick their head out for a split second, and then give a thumbs up. We’d then give them a big NO and show them too look around, see and check that the DZ was correct, and correctly marked, nothing was in the air etc (takes a good 10 seconds or more). They would then do another split second check and try and go back up off the ramp.

Then when it came time to jump, every step they (the JMs and jumpers) took toward the edge of blackness, their eyes got wider and wider and their steps got slower and slower. (I was a safety for some of the jumps and didn’t jump but watched them jump before I lead my stick) It was almost cartoonish to see them, and then look at my guys who were pumped and ready to jump.

However, and in all honesty, I’m sure they could make fun of me and my guys AFTER the jumps. Our DZs were in fields and rice patties on the edge of the jungles. To make it bad, we trained with them on survival 2 days before the jump and were shown the poisonous snakes that if bite you, you had minutes to an hour to live (at best). And they were the snakes we watched them catch in the fields that we were jumping into. Soooo after we hit the ground (me in 6-8 ft tall razor grass) we had to work our way to the rally point in the same dark night that scared the Thais in the AC and hear every creepy crawly thing moving around us and picture which exact version of fanged death was slithering toward you (yes I hate jungle ops and even now thinking about it shiver as I type ….) Soooo I’m sure somewhere there is a little 5’4 Thai ranger telling his buddies about the big Americans that were soooooo brave in the AC but were little babies in the jungle.

The sad thing is that the Thais were not anywhere near the worst guys I ever worked with … The Mideast/N Africa guys were scary !

Quote:

About the energy cage... I have only three words to say.

1- Telekinesis
2- Plug/swicht
3- PWIIUUUuuuuuff ( sound of power going off )

For a so powerful beign as Palpatine ( talking in game terms we are talking of 15D here with tons of CS, DSP and FP to spend ) cutting off the power of even an entire building shouldn't be so hard ( remember size matters not )

Quote:

Blocks force energies and similar mental energies with an effectiveness of up to 15D. That's for a standard mobile unit, for something that's hard wired into the planetary power grid, I don't see why you couldn't double or triple that max blockage.

The point is, it would be more interesting if someone broke Palpatine out rather than having him just use his force skills plus a force point. That defeats the purpose of interesting story, don't you think?

I think Raven hits the nail on the head on that one. If he was captured, I’m sure there would have been a deep dark hole with very heavy security to keep him in. And I’m equally sure, that there would have been a very well coordinated team that eventually helps him escape (it would take years but eventually). And yes, that would make a great game!

Quote:

But still some of the scenario proposed are really interesting. I don't think that the one where the Jedi became nearly dictators instead of Palpatine is the most probable and one of the most exciting. I don't think that there is no need for Windu, or the Jedi to become dark siders. Palapatine had messed the galaxy enough to had the Jedi full hands of problems for decades. The Separatist and the roots of the Rebel Alliance would disagree with many of the measures that the Jedi should had to take in order to mantain peace and clean the Senate of the corrupt.

Rgr on that! There would be fodder for many games in trying to mend the republic after the years of war

Quote:

The scenario with a Luke turned to the Dark Side would be the end of the Rebellion as we all know it at the Battle of Endor. Perhaps Leia, Han and the moon's team could had survived and escaped, but it's unlikely ( hey it's Han after all, never tell him the odds! ) Perhaps Mon Mothma is not part of the attack ( we don't see her at the attack and it's a wise move for the cautious leader) but they could had years to rebuild some resemblance of the Rebellion. And, at least for a time, the "Tarkin doctrine" would have worked nicely. The former hero of the Alliance turned into the new herald of the Emperor ( doesn't care if the Emperor is Palpatine or Vader in his place) and the new Death Star would discourage any system to fight agaisnt the New Order. A really dark time with little hope for the new heroes ( named the PCs)

Shocked

But would be also a GREAT setting for SW without the SW EU cannon!

Forgive all spelling errors.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Detox poison allows him to beat the drugs inducing the coma.

Is that even usable if not consious?

If so, then use carbon freezing.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon Freezing people is still a theoretical practice until Han is frozen on Bespin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: