The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Base Difficulty rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lightsaber Base Difficulty rule
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Lightsaber Base Difficulty rule Reply with quote

My friend interprets the 2nd edtion R&E rules for Full Reaction on a lightsaber as thus.
Attacker decides to attack target with lightsaber
Defender decides to use full dodge
All new attacker difficulties applied
He believes that this included the base difficulty for using a lightsaber. So Instead of Difficult it is now Difficult+Whatever just to use the saber..not hit the guy.

Is this correct or not?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's base difficulty + defender's parry to hit the guy, base difficulty is used for determining whether or not the lightsaber user inflicts self injury.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Base Difficulty Reply with quote

But the base difficulty to use the lightsaber is unaffected by a full reaction parry roll..only the reaction(parry) is affected correct? 2nd edtion R&E says all attackers difficulties' are increased. My friend thinks that includes the base difficulty of the lightsaber.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightsaber difficulty is difficult which is about 18-20. Full parry is your roll plus the difficulty number to hit you.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys play lightsabers so that you can't hit anybody unless you roll at least a 16 (minium for Difficult difficulty)?

I started a new Jedi campaign this weekend and we soon abandoned this rule, since if we played it like that, nobody would ever hit anyone. We still stuck by the rule that if you roll less then difficulty-10 (in this case 6) you hit yourself. But needing to roll a 16 to hit an imobile target seemed a little harsh...

What do you think? Are we making a mistake?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes, you are making a mistake. I have always required a 20 to hit with this weapon in combat because much of the wielder's concern is on not hitting himself. This increases the difficulty.

Generally, though not always, it requires a 5 to hit with your hand (or a small knife), a 10 to hit with a larger one handed weapon (such as a sword or club), a 15 to hit with a two handed weapon, and a 20 to hit with a weapon that can cut yourself in half if you screw up (a lightsaber). This seems reasonable to me, especialy since the larger weapons require more skill. The game difficulty is balanced with the damage the weapons inflict.

I have often ruled it takes less to hit a stationary object when opposition is not a problem, such as cutting open a dead taun-taun or a door. This might be a better approach than lowering the overall difficulty.

After all, if you actually had an opportunity to twirl a lightsaber all around yourself - wouldn't you be more carefull? Given the opportunity in real life, wouldn't you think twice before even turning the thing on?
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Volar. Instead of reducing difficulties, try to add bonuses to hit stationary objects. THis way you may just roll a 10 but with another +10 bonus you still hit the skill difficulty...
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Base Difficulty Reply with quote

worfbacca wrote:
But the base difficulty to use the lightsaber is unaffected by a full reaction parry roll..only the reaction(parry) is affected correct? 2nd edtion R&E says all attackers difficulties' are increased. My friend thinks that includes the base difficulty of the lightsaber.

Idea I would rule the base difficulty is unaffected. The lightsaber requires a 20 to hit. Your friend probably wasn't playing when the 1st edition was all there was, but in 1st edition the rules stated only another lightsaber could parry a lightsaber. (Given the Expanded Universe material I've seen, I would include a Sith sword and force pike to the list of weapons that can parry a lightsaber, but everything else is useless.) A crowbar / bar stool / vibroblade / whatever offer no resistance to a lightsaber, so the lightsaber wielder still needs a 20 to hit no matter what the defender's parry roll is.

Now a defender who dodges the lightsaber, can add to the lightsaber's difficulty - even though he rolls his melee parry (assuming he has a weapon that can parry) or brawling parry -10 to the lightsaber's attack difficulty. I remind you the rules state one cannot dodge a melee or brawling attack, but instead must use his parry skill. I require players to use the brawling parry skill -10 even though we realize they're actually dodging.

I consider the lightsaber to have hit the wielder if the wielder rolls 10 or less. Your friend is right in that the rule requires the possibility of self injury to increase, but I ignore this. Why? Because I don't like it.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, brawling parry is not only blocking but dodging, ducking and weeving out of the way. The skill brawling parry is a misnomer in this respect. Using the example of lightsaber vs. unarmed, the lightsaber wielder gets a +10 to hit. The defenders skill roll is not penalized. Also, one does not have to parry with the melee wpn while still using the melee parry skill, as stated on pg. 90 of SW2ndR&E, to get out of the way.

Personally, I keep lightsaber difficulty as the stated difficult. I mean if kids can do it... Cercumstance modifiers make the roll more or less difficult. Right?

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to beat a dead tauntaun but...

So the difficulty to use a lightsaber is 20 but the Jedi rolls a 14. Ok, now the defender rolls Melee Parry (not full parry) as his defense and gets a 9.

Does the Jedi hit the target because he rolled higher than the defender even though he didn't get 20?
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:

So the difficulty to use a lightsaber is 20 but the Jedi rolls a 14. Ok, now the defender rolls Melee Parry (not full parry) as his defense and gets a 9.

Does the Jedi hit the target because he rolled higher than the defender even though he didn't get 20?
Yes, IMHO it is the same that with ranged attacks.

If the target tries to defend, the difficulty number is his reaction result.
(that's why we rarely use the lightsaber diffuculty number, since usually people try to defend Wink )
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Jedi rolls a 10 or less does he miss no matter what? (Since he probably just injured himself)
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is up to the GM, but I would say yes Twisted Evil
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:

I would say no. The Jedi still requires a 20 to hit. If a Jedi cannot hit his target (because he's too busy concentrating on not cutting his own leg off), he will not hit that target because that target is attempting to parry the Jedi's ineffective attack.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always ran it, that the jedi using the LS has to hit the base diff or the parry which ever is higher, but the base diff (16) still comes into play, as with a LS you DO have to worry more about cutting yourself.

As to the parry. If he does a full parry with his LS, what he rolls adds into the base range diff, like someone doing a full dodge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: