The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars equivalent of an A-10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Star Wars equivalent of an A-10 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that is an excellent start. IMO, the next step to building a balanced stat is, if this is what the ship is designed for (i.e. what it is good at), then what is it bad at? What are the design compromises and sacrifices that had to be made to make this ship excel at its primary mission?

In many ways, what you describe would be analogous to a Y-wing, which works well as a bomber both in space and in atmosphere. The key advantage a Y-Wing would have over an SW A-10 would be its hyperdrive, greatly increasing its utility when used for independent strike missions, while the A-10 (if you stick with not giving it a hyperdrive) would be limited to capital ship transport or deployment strictly in-system from a planetary base.

Another key vulnerability would be the externally mounted weaponry. In the SWU, projectile weapons are carried almost exclusively in internal magazines and fired through ports in the hull. There could be many reasons for this, but an obvious advantage for me is that any ordnance is completely covered by the ship's armored exterior, and therefore less vulnerable to damage (and premature detonation), while an A-10, with almost exclusively externally mounted weapons (minus the cannon) could quickly turn into a fireball if a lucky blaster shot clipped a heavy bomb or rocket on an under-wing pylon.

A good way to help flesh out what you want the ship to be and do is to write up a capsule with the background information as to how and why a specific vessel was developed. The details often help clarify things...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
OK, that is an excellent start. IMO, the next step to building a balanced stat is, if this is what the ship is designed for (i.e. what it is good at), then what is it bad at? What are the design compromises and sacrifices that had to be made to make this ship excel at its primary mission?

In many ways, what you describe would be analogous to a Y-wing, which works well as a bomber both in space and in atmosphere. The key advantage a Y-Wing would have over an SW A-10 would be its hyperdrive, greatly increasing its utility when used for independent strike missions, while the A-10 (if you stick with not giving it a hyperdrive) would be limited to capital ship transport or deployment strictly in-system from a planetary base.

Another key vulnerability would be the externally mounted weaponry. In the SWU, projectile weapons are carried almost exclusively in internal magazines and fired through ports in the hull. There could be many reasons for this, but an obvious advantage for me is that any ordnance is completely covered by the ship's armored exterior, and therefore less vulnerable to damage (and premature detonation), while an A-10, with almost exclusively externally mounted weapons (minus the cannon) could quickly turn into a fireball if a lucky blaster shot clipped a heavy bomb or rocket on an under-wing pylon.

A good way to help flesh out what you want the ship to be and do is to write up a capsule with the background information as to how and why a specific vessel was developed. The details often help clarify things...

still working on the concept of everything here so as to better write up a capsule for the starfighter in question.
good points are there. ok, thoughts im considering, it doesnt have to look like an A-10, im just using the general concept of the A-10 as a basis. i like the idea of the big forward mounted gun, mainly to be used to strike light or medium armored targets. i also would like to keep it a small missile boat. looking around a bit i saw the Xg-13 missile boat. didnt see that before, but i still stand by my design intentions, and would think that the SW A-10 concept would be more of a competition model for the other ships like the Xg-13 and Xg-1.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so if it doesn't look like an A-10, what does it look like? I have been working under the impression that the main reason you posted the big picture of the A-10 was that you wanted this starfighter to look like the A-10. For me, visualization is also a big part of designing the ship...

thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: visual. Reply with quote

well i figured that it didnt have to look like an A-10. but in my minds eye i see:

cockpit: would stay the same general shape and size. appears to provide the same general visual range as other starfighters already available.

main fuselage: i really dont see a need to change this at all, unless one really wanted to put a droid slot in to allow an R2 droid (or similar model) to aid the pilot in flight.

tail fins: i like the look of the rear end of the A-10, so maybe the tail is pretty useless in a vacuum, but it adds to the overall flavor of the design.

wings: possible shortened by up to 33% and reinforced to better accommodate and protect the 2 launchers that will be mounted under each wing.

engines: here i see something similar to the Y-Wings engines, but shortened to better accommodate the designed maneuverability.

other: everything else will remain the same.

so far everything is still flexible.

ok i did a quick review and tweeked the stats some and came up with this:

Name: A-10 Thunderbolt II
Craft: Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II
Type: heavy strike bomber
Scale: starfighter
Length: 16.26 x 17.53 x 4.47m (LxWxH)
Skill: starfighter pilot
Crew: 1
Passengers: 0
Cargo Capacity: 150kg
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: 180,000 new; 90,000 used
Hyperdrive: n/a
Hyperdrive Backup: n/a
Nav Computer: no
Maneuverability: 2D (3D in atmosphere)
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 km/h
Hull: 5D+2
Shields: 2D+2
Sensors
Passive: 50/0D
Scan: 75/1D
Search: 100/2D
Focus: 5/4D+2

Weapons
1 Assault Cannon
Fire Arc: forward
Skill: starship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1,200/2,500m
Damage: 7D

4 Multiple Warhead Launchers
Fire Control: varies
*Proton Bomb: 0D
*Rocket: 1D
*Concussion Missile: 2D
Space Range: varies
*Proton Bomb: 1/2/5 (non-self propelled, i.e. semi-stealth)
*Rocket: 1/2/5
*Concussion Missile: 1-3/8/15
Atmosphere Range: varies
*Proton Bomb: 100/200/500m (non-self propelled, i.e. semi-stealth)
*Rocket: 100/200/500m
*Concussion Missile: 100-300/800/1500m
Ammo: based on payload
*Small Proton Bomb: 8 per launcher
*Medium Proton Bomb: 4 per launcher
*Heavy Proton Bomb: 2 per launcher
*Small Rocket: 10 per launcher
*Medium Rocket: 5 per launcher
*Heavy Rocket: 2 per launcher
*Small Concussion Missile: 4 per launcher
*Concussion Missile: 3 per launcher
*Heavy Concussion Missile: 2 per launcher
Damage: based on payload
*Small Proton Bomb: 3D
*Medium Proton Bomb: 6D
*Heavy Proton Bomb: 11D
*Small Rocket: 2D
*Medium Rocket: 5D
*Heavy Rocket: 10D
*Small Concussion Missile: 7D
*Concussion Missile: 8D
*Heavy Concussion Missile: 9D

Capsule: The A-10 Thunderbold II was designed and built by Fairchild Republic as short range, carrier based heavy strike fighter and heavy bomber. its powerful forward cannon gave it unparalelled firepower. its 4 warhead launchers provided exceptional power while providing various ammunition options to allow for a better range of mission profiles. Fairchild Republic modified and mounted the sublight drive systems from a Y-Wing.
Unfortunetly Fairchild Republic failed due to a number of marketing mistakes and poor finacial management. Due to these issues the success or failure of the A-10 Thunderbolt II is unknown. it is known that during testing it was very successful in elimiating simulated gound targets. During Live fire testing there was a performance issue regarding a then unknown variance between maneuverability inside an atmosphere versus a vacumm. another performance issue that randomly occurd during simulated damage tests were sensor failures when transitioning between an atmosphere and space.
all flaws aside the A-10 proved to out perform most fighters of the day but didnt stand up against the Skipray blastboats.

im thinking the basic capsule needs a good revision, but thats what all this is here for.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: visual. Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
main fuselage: i really dont see a need to change this at all, unless one really wanted to put a droid slot in to allow an R2 droid (or similar model) to aid the pilot in flight.

You could also do something like this and put a turret behind the cockpit. The image is pulled from an old G.I. Joe toy, the Cobra Rattler. It's an obvious A-10 clone, but you get the idea.

Quote:
tail fins: i like the look of the rear end of the A-10, so maybe the tail is pretty useless in a vacuum, but it adds to the overall flavor of the design.

Personally, I would remove them. In the SWU, the larger a vehicle is, the less likely it seems to be to feature manual control surfaces. You find them on most speeder bikes and swoops, as well as some airspeeders, but by the time you reach the starfighter level, they are almost completely absent.

Quote:
wings: possible shortened by up to 33% and reinforced to better accommodate and protect the 2 launchers that will be mounted under each wing.

Makes sense. I've always justified wings on starfighters by saying that that they are part of the repulsorlift system.

Quote:
engines: here i see something similar to the Y-Wings engines, but shortened to better accommodate the designed maneuverability.

I like the visual here of a pair of Y-Wing engines mounted close in and slightly above the fuselage. The trailing end of the Y-Wing engines would make the tail sections of the craft somewhat redundant, as the end-caps on the engine are used to direct the thrust being produced by the engines (Having them mounted so far behind the actual engines makes sense from a leverage standpoint)

Regarding the stats:

Quote:
Length: 16.26 x 17.53 x 4.47m (LxWxH)

Just say 16.26. No other starfighter stat gives height and width

Quote:

This is an appropriate price, as the stats are still a bit overpowered. The excessive cost would be one of the drawbacks / bad points that I mentioned.

Quote:
Hull: 5D+2

I still think this is over the top, but its your stat

Quote:
Sensors
Passive: 50/0D
Scan: 75/1D
Search: 100/2D
Focus: 5/4D+2

These numbers are over the top, as well. In the classic era, even the Alliance's main front-line fighters had a max Search range of 75, not 100. The A-10 is not known for its sensor capability: during the gulf war, A-10 pilots had to jerry-rig their own FLIR systems by powering up Maverick missiles and using their IIR seekers as a primitive FLIR. As near as I can tell, the A-10 isn't even equipped with a radar, but the sensors you've given this thing are even better than those mounted on the Millennium Falcon.

Quote:
1 Assault Cannon

As described, this weapon still lacks the versatility needed for a bomber that can do both anti-ship strikes and engage ground targets. You need to either augment this cannon with smaller weaponry that can engage smaller scale targets, or change the stats so that this gun can do both. I would suggest making it a rapid fire weapon of some kind and incorporating some kind of auto-fire rule.

Several ideas have been posted for rapid-fire rules. You can pick what you like or make your own, but for the purposes of this example, I'll use mine. Short version, auto-fire weapons receive a D bonus that can be added to either damage or fire control, or can be split between them. Military rifles that can fire short bursts (but are not fully automatic) receive a FC of 1D, while fully automatic weapons receive a 2D and extremely high fire rate weaponry (such as gatling-type weapons) receive a 3D. That 3D can be applied to Fire Control (representing the gunner sweeping a line of fire across a target in the hopes of getting in a few good hits), to Damage (representing the Gunner fire at a fixed point and trying to hit it with as many rouns as possible), or he can split it between the two however he chooses.

Using that rule, I would suggest giving the cannon a more mid-range stat, such as 2D Fire Control and 4D damage, but then add a Fire Rate of 3D, which the pilot can then apply however he likes. By using the Fire Rate rules, he can hit heavy targets for 7D of damage, or go after smaller targets with 5D of fire control. He just can't do them both at the same time.

Quote:

This write up is a little confusing with regards to the weapon types. I would group it like this:

Scale: Starfighter
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: Varies by Weapon Type
Range: Varies by Weapon Type
Damage: Varies by Weapon Type
Weapon Types:

PROTON BOMB
    Fire Control: 0D
    Space Range: 1/2/5
    Atmosphere Range: 100m/200m/500m
    Damage:
    -Light: 3D
    -Medium: 6D
    -Large: 11D
    Ammunition:
    -Light: 8 per launcher
    -Medium: 4 per launcher
    -Large: 2 per launcher

ROCKET
    Damage:
    -Small: 2D
    -Medium: 5D
    -Large: 10D
    Ammunition:
    -Light: 10 per launcher
    -Medium: 5 per launcher
    -Heavy: 2 per launcher

CONCUSSION MISSILE
    Fire Control: 2D
    Space Range: 1-3/8/15
    Atmosphere Range: 100-300/800/1500m
    Ammunition:
    -Light: 4 per launcher
    -Medium: 3 per launcher
    Damage:
    -Light: 7D
    -Medium: 8D
    -Heavy: 9D

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A weeks consumables for a fighter? I can see Xwings and such having that much as they are space superiority, but an A-10 is a ground assault craft.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure WEG/SWU rendition of something equivalent to the role of the A-10, well I've been rewriting the starship combat system in our gameworld anyway analoguous to real world avionics so have been doing this sort of thing bringing the nuances of signal locks and countermeasures phases in the combat round by detailing sensor systems and gunnery controls and other avionics in starfighters.

I've uploaded some technical manuals in the starships/equipment forum (under the thread Y-Wing flight manuals, did an X-Wing manual and a TIE comparative evaluation done in the style of military comparative testing documents).

It's a pretty simple system, during the combat round the attacker must achieve successful sensors detect on the enemy starfighter to get his weapon fire control bonus and medium/long ranging (otherwise fires over open sights using Perception/Search rolls to identify the target and no fire control bonus, this is only possible at point blank and short range for the given weapon system). Once a "target lock" is achieved the target remains locked unless he passes outside sensor range and back in (a function of comparative speed values and respective positioning over the course of combat). If the enemy passes outside sensor range you must again lock him up with the sensors when you get him back in range.

So if you get a sensors lock and are going fast enough, or do enough moves to keep him in sensor range you get your full fire control and full weapon range capabilities for the duration of the combat. If your weapons only fire on one facing, you need to continually outmanoeuvre him as well, to keep him in your gunsights. Unless you use missiles/torpedos, at medium range or greater these will track to any fire arc using their seeker heads (but relative speed differences increase base firing difficulty as per core rulebook, instead of determining base difficulty as speed versus stationary target, use relative speed difference between you and the target, so a target travelling the same speed, ie. within the same frame of reference has no additional range difficulty modifier).

Effectively all missiles and torpedos are "fire and forget" weapons in our game, so long as you lock him up on the sensors and keep him within sensor range and weapon range. This makes missiles and torpedos extra useful even against other starfighters, being able to track onto any fire arc the way guided missiles will do if you keep a lock. You can lock up a TIE, but he's a better pilot and outmanoeuvres you to get away from your front firing arc, so what, you're a better gunner and fire off a proton torpedo at 5 spaces range and despite the fact that he's veered off to your left facing and you can't swing inside his circle...the torpedo tracks from your sensor array and follows him on a computer generated intercept firing solution doing ridiculous G's so...boom.

There is also an ECM phase whereby enemy pilots can attempt to break your lock (useful if he's getting missiles/torpedos fired at him or can get to medium range and outside your visual "head out of cockpit" capabilities to target him), if their starfighter is so equipped he can use his sensor skill against yours to break your lock as a reaction skill. TIE do not have ECM like this due to production cost cutting measures, but almost every other well equipped starfighter, like X-Wings, Skiprays, etc. do, though the buyer pays for this in retail credit cost. Things like sensor baffling and sensor jamming equipment already listed in sourcebooks simply add their dice to the sensor skill of the user to break sensor locks. Simple.

Adds an extra dimension and gets more immersion for my Starfighter pilot PCs, we've always had a few in our campaigns and they love to get real with the avionics and starfightering side of SWU. It also forces PCs to spend their CP in a variety of starship related skills such as sensors, you don't perform as well when you have average sensors skill and high gunnery skill, you need both, just like a real world jet fighter pilot needs both. You want good BVR you need good sensors. You want good close combat BFM then stick with gunnery and piloting is okay but you need to get everyone into short range or point blank and use your eyes. That's pretty realistic. The fighter pilot term "head out of cockpit" is actually an Israeli Air Force term and is the preferred kind of fighter combat, just some trivia.

Okay so that brings me to the A-10 rendition in the WEG/SWU. Its role clearly is one which could actually be very useful.
I take it you've watched the Empire Strikes Back? Remember the problem with Walkers? (that armour's too strong for ~speeder scale~ blasters)
Okay here's the thing, starfighters are pretty much the thing to use against heavy walkers. Obvious.
Problem there is put starfighters up, the enemy puts starfighters up, it's a battle for air superiority before you can even think about close army support. What are you going to do, send Z'ers or X-Wings against Walkers and just ignore all the TIE they send after them?

This is where the role of something like the A-10 comes into play. Starfighters can hit walkers just fine, but if you use 2e (not 2R&E) scaling die caps like I do for realism in large scale battles, which I run with miniatures a lot like WH40K using combined actions and hero units and whatnot...well the thing is a starfighter has no problem hitting walkers, but has just about bucklies of hitting an airspeeder. Starfighters are no good against airspeeders.

Let me say that again. Starfighters are no good against airspeeders. You want the Walkers down. You don't want to be distracted by an air superiority battle against enemy starfighters. So you send your X-Wings against their TIE, and you send some airspeeders with custom walker scale kill-you cannon against the walkers.

There's your A-10.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: visual. Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
You could also do something like this and put a turret behind the cockpit. The image is pulled from an old G.I. Joe toy, the Cobra Rattler. It's an obvious A-10 clone, but you get the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattler_%28G.I._Joe%29

ive not seen this this in what feels like more than 25 years. i had a dozen or so of them as a kid, and yes they do fly with bottle rockets in place of the engines...

revision as follows:

Name: A-10 Thunderbolt II
Craft: Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II
Type: heavy strike fighter/bomber
Length: 16.26m
Skill: starfighter pilot
Passengers: 0
Cargo Capacity: 150kg
Consumables: 3 days
Hyperdrive: n/a
Hyperdrive Backup: n/a
Nav Computer: no
Maneuverability: 2D (3D in atmosphere)
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 km/h
Hull: 5D
Sensors
Passive: 25/0D
Scan: 50/1D
Search: 75/2D
Focus: 3/3D+2

Weapons
1 Auto Fire Heavy Laser Cannon
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1,200/2,500m
Rate of Fire: 3D
Damage: 5D

Scale: Starfighter
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: Varies by Weapon Type
Range: Varies by Weapon Type
Damage: Varies by Weapon Type
Weapon Types:

PROTON BOMB
Fire Control: 0D
Damage:
-Light: 3D
-Medium: 6D
-Large: 11D
Ammunition:
-Light: 8 per launcher
-Medium: 4 per launcher
-Large: 2 per launcher

ROCKET
Damage:
-Small: 2D
-Medium: 5D
-Large: 10D
Ammunition:
-Light: 10 per launcher
-Medium: 5 per launcher

CONCUSSION MISSILE
Space Range: 1-3/8/15
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/800/1500m
Ammunition:
-Light: 4 per launcher
-Medium: 3 per launcher
Damage:
-Light: 7D
-Medium: 8D
-Heavy: 9D

i very much like the auto fire rule brief youve listed. i would like to know more on it please.

ok made some stat changes.

regarding a picture. well id find and modify a top profile view of an A-10 and incorporate the visual changes and present a few different options, but on a scale 1 (crap) to 10 (awesome) of my photoshop skills, i rate in the 1.5-2 range, which is why i sometimes find it easier to draw it in windows paint. so for now our imaginations will have to suffice.

vanir. i thank you for your optional combat system upgrade. i like it but the issue is that outside of an occasional player my groups flight and space combat ideas come from games like call of duty, battlefield, ace combat and other similar games. they like automatic weapons and we've been trying various rule ideas with little success, they like to use them but hate me when the bad guys uses them too. when i dont gm, the other gms limit my starfighter capabilities due to a actually using the full 3 dimensions and working somewhat with the 4th and 5th ones. but thats neither here nor there. (another reason i GM more, i think ahead more than most GMs ive played with)

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
Let me say that again. Starfighters are no good against airspeeders. You want the Walkers down. You don't want to be distracted by an air superiority battle against enemy starfighters. So you send your X-Wings against their TIE, and you send some airspeeders with custom walker scale kill-you cannon against the walkers.

There's your A-10.

But what if making an A-10 (or something close to it) was the point? The tech already exists to equip airspeeders with anti-walker weaponry in the form of the Finbat missile. It's slow and short ranged, but packs enough of a punch to at least damage an AT-AT. Mounting 4-6 of these on the undercarriage of a T-47 gives the airspeeder a respectable punch against heavy GAVs, while still maintaining in-game balance by requiring the airspeeder to get in close to use it instead of using from a stand-off distance.

Regardless, if the goal is to have an A-10 in the SWU, then just invent a reason (preferably backed by the stats or the capsule). That's what I did with my Z-Wing, by including the requirement that the fighter had to be able to self-deploy and self-extract, if need be, and then I backed it up by including a basic hyperdrive, as well as dedicated anti-speeder weaponry.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: visual. Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
i very much like the auto fire rule brief youve listed. i would like to know more on it please.

There isn't much more to it, really. The rule works in simple form, and I didn't really feel like adding more to it and making it too complicated.

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
vanir wrote:

There's your A-10.

But what if making an A-10 (or something close to it) was the point? The tech already exists to equip airspeeders with anti-walker weaponry in the form of the Finbat missile. It's slow and short ranged, but packs enough of a punch to at least damage an AT-AT. Mounting 4-6 of these on the undercarriage of a T-47 gives the airspeeder a respectable punch against heavy GAVs, while still maintaining in-game balance by requiring the airspeeder to get in close to use it instead of using from a stand-off distance.

Regardless, if the goal is to have an A-10 in the SWU, then just invent a reason (preferably backed by the stats or the capsule). That's what I did with my Z-Wing, by including the requirement that the fighter had to be able to self-deploy and self-extract, if need be, and then I backed it up by including a basic hyperdrive, as well as dedicated anti-speeder weaponry.

This is the sort of thing I had in mind. Look at the role of an A-10 and translate that role to WEG SWU.

craft: slayn & korpil A-10 Avenger
type: close support anti-walker airspeeder
scale: speeder
crew: 1
skill: repulsorlift operation
manoeuvrability: 1D (2D with stores jettison)
move: 295; 850km/h
body strength: 5D
weapons:

1 assault projectile cannon
arc: front
scale: walker
skill: archaic guns
fire control: 1D
range: 5-50/250/1km
damage: 3D

6 anti-walker assault missiles
scale: starfighter
skill: missile weapons
fire control: 2D+2
range: 50-250/1/3km
damage: 4D

2 concussion rocket launchers (16 carried)
scale: speeder
skill: missile weapons
fire control: 1D
range: 10-150/350/1km
damage: 6D
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: visual. Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
thedemonapostle wrote:

There isn't much more to it, really. The rule works in simple form, and I didn't really feel like adding more to it and making it too complicated.

i was just wanting to know if there were more specifics to it in relation to the rate of fire to the D bonus.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: visual. Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:

I think my autofire rules are very alike crmcneils, my rules have an 'area fire' added as well

ZzaphodD wrote:

To some weapons I add X Autofire dice to the stats. Most of the time this is +1D, the highest is +3D for a 'gatling' type blaster cannon. This bonus die can either be used as a bonus to hit(adds to skill), or as a bonus to damage(adds to damage). Each die also allowed the character to 'spray' a 2m target area, having a chance to hit everyone within that area for basic damage.

This way automatic weapons exists, but does not completely dominate the game which I find a bit non-SW (as an old Grognard). I find that good balanced rules for automatic fire are very hard to find in most RPGs. Therefore I have chosen this rather abstract way of handling autofire.

So, for example, a Light Repeating Blaster in my games do 5D of damage with 1D autofire. An E-web does 7D damage with 1D autofire. I also have a weapon called an Assault Blaster (essentially a Blaster Carbine with +1D Autofire). Each 'burst' (ie each 1D Autofire) consumes 5 shots from the magazine. Autofire weapons in my games tend to be less energy efficient than normal semi-automatic blasters (ie lower ammo capacity as well). An Assault Blaster have Ammo 50, with each burst fired consuming 5 shots (you can still fire the weapon as a semi-automatic blaster). This is actually purely for game balance.

Heres an old 2009 thread with links to different autofire rules (also from where the above quote is taken)
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2644&highlight=autofire
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
This is the sort of thing I had in mind. Look at the role of an A-10 and translate that role to WEG SWU.

The only issue I see with this stat is how heavily ordnance intensive it is, specifically by mounting it with a projectile cannon. One of the big advantages of a blaster over a projectile cannon is ease of resupply, in that blaster gas doesn't have to be manufactured and distributed in packets of specific size and shape (with bullets, even minor variations in shape and design can cause issues if used in a weapon they weren't designed for). Fitting the ship with a blaster weapon makes resupply simpler, and it also makes it fit in better.

While this stat does reflect one aspect of the A-10 (the anti-armor mission), making the ship a speeder leaves out other aspects. Most notably, the A-10' durability is really better served by making it SW scale, as bigger generally equals tougher by the RAW. Making it a starfighter also makes sense in that the A-10 has the ability to self deploy to a combat zone (usually with auxiliary fuel tanks strapped on in place of ordnance). In the SWU, self-deployment capability practically demands a hyperdrive.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: visual. Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
i was just wanting to know if there were more specifics to it in relation to the rate of fire to the D bonus.

I never got into that specific of detail with it. If you want to augment the rule for your own use by including differing rates of fire, that could easily be expressed by adding in pips on the D rating for ROF.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: