The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

There is no 'i' in team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> There is no 'i' in team.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: There is no 'i' in team. Reply with quote

Hello creative people.
I’ve hit a bit of a wall whilst designing a forthcoming adventure, and am hoping that some of you fine folks can lend a hand by chucking some ideas my way.

The scenario is that the characters are going to a tournament held by a crime lord, which also acts as a recruitment opportunity for teams to join his “court” (he sees himself as a King).
As such, there will be some games going on which the players will be entering in order to prove themselves to him (it’s not important to my problem, but the characters don’t actually want to join, they are there to snoop around for some intel). The games are also entertainment for the guests, somewhat like a medieval tournament.

I created 2 team events for them to take part in.
One is a combat based game, where 2 opposing teams have to fight each other in order to get one of their team successfully across a playing field and in to the opponents starting area. This will be multi-stage knockout style competition, which will give the players the chance to use a variety of skills, and use brains as well as brawn.

Initially I was going to have a skiff race as the second competition, and planned for it to get a little out of hand, with dirty tactics being used by some other teams.
However, I have realised that this type of race is almost exactly the same as what I was planning to do in a future scenario, as the characters have been to Sevarcos and were invited back for the Festival of the High Winds.

So, I need another team based event for them to take part in.
Ideally, this will be different from the combat game mentioned above.
It will be a chance for them to work together against the other teams (possibly against all the teams at the same time).
It will provide a chance for one or more teams to use ‘dirty’ tactics.
Naturally, it will also need to be fun and exciting for the players too!

I’ve been flicking through some of my sourcebooks for inspiration. So far the only possibility that leaps out is the BlastBoast 2000 from one of the Adventure Journals. Anyone got any other ideas?
Has anyone got experience of the BlastBoast, and can offer feedback on it?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For thought, rather than look for a Star Wars idea look at real world sporting events. The first sport you mentioned sounds like a rugby/football analog where the team mate is in effect the ball.

Think about other team sports. Then think about how a Hutt or other crime lord would "improve" the games. For example
  • Relay race - spice it up by having the "runners" use walkers. An open light walker like the AT-RT would be good since an actual baton pass could be used.
  • Ice hockey/Water Polo - but instead of being on ice or in the water the players are on repulsor hover boards with a maximum 1-2 meter ceiling over deep water...filled with dianogas. They have some kind of ball they have to get in a goal. To make it really crazy - instead of a ball like in water polo use a thermo detonator with a timer. When the timer goes off, the game is OVER!
  • To bring the crazy to your rugby game, instead of getting a player onto the opponent's side use an Ewok as a football. No points scored if the Ewok is dead on arrival.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Ewok idea Laughing
You are right on my thinking for the first game. A kind of rugby/speedball/griffball style idea, with guns and barriers which will favour a tactical approach to attack and defense.

Aside from that, both good suggestions (especially as none of my players have bothered with Swimming, despite all nearly being drowned twice).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some possibilities:

-You could have jousting, using lances and speeder bikes. They did it in the first Clone Wars animated series. The lances are tournament style designed to break or give rather than injure. Those who are hit must soak the damage or be knocked off their speeder. THe damage could be based off the collision table/speed (instead of adding STR).

-You could have them try to catch rings with their lances.

-Some sort of target shooting contest.Each target would have a base difficulty, set by the range. Meeting the difficulty results in a hit, worth 1 point. Really good attack rolls mean hitting an inner ring and scoring more points. Each contestant could get 5 or 10 shots and the one with the most points wins.

+DIFF: Outer Red Ring (1 point)
DIFF+6: Outer White Ring (3 points)
DIFF+11: Inner Red Ring (5 points)
DIFF+16: Inner White Ring (7 points)
DIFF+21: Bullseye! (10 points)

-Challenges: One of the PCs has to fight one of the "King's" thugs. THis could include some NPC who bears a grudge. Or a young punk who wants to make a name for himself.This could be with lethal weapons or with stun weapons. It get better if you can get the PCs personally vested in the outcome.

-A Hunt: Everybody goes out hunting. The one who bags the biggest game creature wins. You can have a lot of fun here deciding just what the prey is. Womprats? Rancors? Dragons? You could even make it a moral dilemma for the PCs if they end up hunting sentients. Maybe they have to try and help the prey escape--without being obvious about it.

-A drinking contest. Who knows what might happen to somebody who passes out in the lair of a crime boss?

-A singing contest, or other chance to use some performance skill that most characters are terrible at.

With a these events there should be some motivation for the PCs to want to win. Maybe the Crime Boss will be more cooperative if the PCs win; Maybe there is a rival for whatever the PCs are after; maybe the Crime Boss has a daughter (pretty, plain ugly, or just a really exotic alien) who can be swayed by prowess on the field, or whom falls for the PCs and now the PCs must try to discourage without looking too badly in front of the crime boss.

If the Crime Boss is really warped, he could make everybody go through this with archaic arms, armor, and mounts. He could get his kicks watch everyone fumble around with old equipment that they have no familiarity with.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice idea there too, atgxtg.

I might use the drinking contest as a side element to the feast I'm planning for the first night (a chance for all the teams to size each other up).
Of course, this could lead to the one-on-one duel, as it's very easy to cause offense when drunk!

The crime lord himself is definately cruel and twisted (although he tries to appear kindly, it's an act that fools no-one except himself). Therefore the competitions will usually include the risk of injury or death.

I like the idea of a hunt. I am looking to include a rescue of his slaves as part of the story (in fact, the slaves are former allies of the characters, and this reveal is one of the major plot points).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
-You could have jousting, using lances and speeder bikes. They did it in the first Clone Wars animated series. The lances are tournament style designed to break or give rather than injure. Those who are hit must soak the damage or be knocked off their speeder. THe damage could be based off the collision table/speed (instead of adding STR).

-You could have them try to catch rings with their lances.
How did I not think of that. Embarassed I was actually at a jousting competition last weekend.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
Some nice idea there too, atgxtg.

There were usually prizes for winning events at a torunament. You could use that to add adtional story ideas or plot hooks to the game. For example, a PC who wins an event might be awarded a prize mount. THe mount could be a speeder (perhaps with a built in explosive device or tracking device), or it could be a creature.-maybe a sentient creature. If the creture were intelligent, it could lead to addtional sttory ideas. If it's sentience is a secret then the creature could either be employed as a spy against the PCs, or maybe it overheard something and decides to tell the PCs, since they are decent folk and not scrum.

Bren wrote:
How did I not think of that. Embarassed I was actually at a jousting competition last weekend.

No doubt you are busty catching up with you emails [ Wink brick].

Or, if you are like me, you just upgraded Opera and just lost your Bookmarks, Speed Dial setting, Skins, and Email. Mad
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
A Hunt: Everybody goes out hunting. The one who bags the biggest game creature wins

Or a tiny, speedy creature. Players dodge rancors while trying to bag a glimmering dragonfly. Complication: just before they bag one, something pops out of the brush and gulps it down. Can the PCs dig the snitch out of the beast's belly before it's digested, or is it back to square one? Also, the crime boss doesn't tell anyone the bug has a hallucinatory toxic bite; big laughs for him and the spectators.

Plenty of room in any hunt scenario for sabotaging the competition, too--imagine releasing the big, nasty game on the sly after all the work and casualties some rival went through to bag it once.

Be sure to talk up one of the competitors as a famous game hunter, then have him unceremoniously eaten for comic relief. Aww...too bad for the champion! But this means it's anybody's game, folks!

Quote:
maybe the Crime Boss has a daughter <snip> whom falls for the PCs and now the PCs must try to discourage without looking too badly in front of the crime boss.

Yes. This is now obligatory. The great Oz has spoken.

Quote:
He could get his kicks watch everyone fumble around with old equipment that they have no familiarity with

Or not-so-old; high-tech allows you to design deliberate complications. My first thought was of a fairly ordinary sport (say, a soccer- or rugby-like game) complicated by the need to play on giant robo-prosthetics whose legs are springs and whose torsos swivel uncontrollably on their waists. Controlling your vehicle is as important as team tactics. Inevitably, someone will have the ball and be rushing toward the goal but unable to see where he's going because his chassis has swiveled backwards.

Bren's Ewok rugby is pretty good, too. Doubly so combined with awkward robots. Especially if the little bugger can sprint, or, alternately, can climb and is good with a laser-spanner.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing this thread was hilarious! great ideas there guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: