The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Thermal Detonator damage versus stock light freighter hull
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Thermal Detonator damage versus stock light freighter hull Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Thermal Detonator damage versus stock light freighter hull Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just wanted to see if I am correct in this. I was figuring that 10D Thermal Detonator Damage refers to Damage against people, and maybe 7D damage to speeder bikes, swoops or skiffs. If this is the case would a thermal detonator only do like 5D Damage if it explodes under a stock light freighter being that hulls are very dense and durable?

Please provide some guidance on this.

Thanks,

MM
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10D damage is character scale, you could reduce the damage in accordance with scaling rules in 2nd Ed R&E or increase the soak of the ship. The difference would be 6D in scaling between starfighter scale and character. If the freighter has a hull code of 4D or more, it's in little danger of suffering damage. However, as with all rolling situations, the ship could roll terribly and the Thermal detonator rolls ridiculously well. So, theoretically a ship could be destroyed by a detonator.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though i would rule if it was set off within the ship, the hull is immediately lesened by 2d since the internals have NO PARTICAL shields to protect them (which by the rules reduces the hull by 2d). THEN i might add a d of damage from the fact its in one location.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, if detonated inside, the explosion will be completely contained within, as opposed to a portion (at least half) being directed into the surrounding space.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PC is specifically intending to damage a structure, why not use the demolitions skill/RAW for explosives against a structure, with the thermal damage as a base modified by the demolitions roll?

He might place it in at a vulnerable location, contained by a bulkhead to magnify the explosion, or place it in the airlock, or next to a central computer system, the power core, etc.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing the stock character scale damage to the starfighter scale freighter isnt so much of a big deal or concern. use the various scaling damage rules that are available, pick one that fits your games and go with it.

the real issue is if it is detonated at point blank range. it might not necessarily destroy the ship with the blast. more so if detonated on the exterior. the real problem comes into play if detonated internally. again ship probably wont go boom from it. though it could cause a back draft like problem. it will not be able to properly displace it explosion radius properly. thus its normal explosion radius would filter through the ship until it runs out of energy.

another concern is if its detonated internally, it could cause minimal structural damage, but could cripple the ships electronics, blow out any windows causing a vacuum issue, damage fuel systems, etc.

remember to be creative. even on a capital ship a thermal detonator can cripple it if used in the right place.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
doing the stock character scale damage to the starfighter scale freighter isnt so much of a big deal or concern. use the various scaling damage rules that are available, pick one that fits your games and go with it.

the real issue is if it is detonated at point blank range. it might not necessarily destroy the ship with the blast. more so if detonated on the exterior. the real problem comes into play if detonated internally. again ship probably wont go boom from it. though it could cause a back draft like problem. it will not be able to properly displace it explosion radius properly. thus its normal explosion radius would filter through the ship until it runs out of energy.

another concern is if its detonated internally, it could cause minimal structural damage, but could cripple the ships electronics, blow out any windows causing a vacuum issue, damage fuel systems, etc.

remember to be creative. even on a capital ship a thermal detonator can cripple it if used in the right place.

The ship is sealed and being attacked by Stormtroopers. 3 of them will each throw a thermal detonator under the hull. I expect that the detonators may break through the lower outer hull and make it difficult for the craft to break atmosphere and head into vaccuum. Crew may need to head to other side of planet for repairs. That would be my first choice as GM.

MM
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattMartin23 wrote:
The ship is sealed and being attacked by Stormtroopers. 3 of them will each throw a thermal detonator under the hull. I expect that the detonators may break through the lower outer hull and make it difficult for the craft to break atmosphere and head into vaccuum. Crew may need to head to other side of planet for repairs. That would be my first choice as GM.

MM

hmm sounds like compounding thermal detonator damage...landing gear might be a little too extra crispy. could vaporize quite a bit of the lower half or center mass of the ship....shields might not work....hyper space travel isnt recommended without shields. the ships super structure might get damaged, big boom under ship causes the ship to "fold/bend" over the explosion. the shock waves could rupture the power supply systems, etc....need more info

what kind of ship is taking the 3 pocket nukes to the belly?

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 2E die caps scaling system for damage. Under that system, a thermal detonator rolls 10D damage against the freighter, but no damage die can count for more than two. Under that system, you can expect a damage of 18 or 19 versus a stock light freighter's hull. Likely, this would result in heavy or severe damage, and could destroy the ship outright on a bad Hullroll.

Complete Starship Construction System
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
MattMartin23 wrote:

MM

hmm sounds like compounding thermal detonator damage...landing gear might be a little too extra crispy. could vaporize quite a bit of the lower half or center mass of the ship....shields might not work....hyper space travel isnt recommended without shields. the ships super structure might get damaged, big boom under ship causes the ship to "fold/bend" over the explosion. the shock waves could rupture the power supply systems, etc....need more info

what kind of ship is taking the 3 pocket nukes to the belly?

Old Republic model, sleeker version of Amidala's Nubian vessel. Ship is well maintained and modified but is 30 years old. It is used by a bounty hunter and has passenger capacity for 12 passengers - basically 3 bunks per quarters, 4 passenger quarters, 1 Captain quarters, 1 crew quarters - double bunk. A subplot is for the thermal detonator to damage the bottom of the ship forcing them to relocate the ship until they can get repairs done. It is okay if this doesn't happen though. Will leave it up to the dice.

MM
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I use the 2E die caps scaling system for damage. Under that system, a thermal detonator rolls 10D damage against the freighter, but no damage die can count for more than two. Under that system, you can expect a damage of 18 or 19 versus a stock light freighter's hull. Likely, this would result in heavy or severe damage, and could destroy the ship outright on a bad Hullroll.

I like your idea and I think I might apply this with a twist. All die that roll 1 count as 1 pt damage, all die that roll 2 - 4 count as 2 points damage, and all rolls that are 5-6 count as 3 points damage. This will give added benefit to the higher rolls. Besides if the result is a destroyed, that roll is only for a specific area - example center hull is destroyed. If I as GM roll something sick like 60 Damage, (lets say 8 rolls of 6, 2 rolls of 5, and a 4 on the extra dice (due to wild die-That is highly unlikely btw.), the actual damage would be 32 point damage - I will curb this as needed going as low as 27. As long as the 4D hull rolls at least a 12 it does not get destroyed. I think this will be good. I will do the rolls and then determine whether to do all 10D as Max 2 pts Damage or whether to use the 1.2.3 pt method.

Thanks for the suggestion.

MM
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to ignore the roll (if its too high) and just script out what happens, why bother rolling in the first place?? Just script it out from beginnig to end.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal has a point here, you could just set a soak difficulty, or have something happen to the ship regardless. You can do a roll behind the screen to keep up appearances. But, you shouldn't be afraid to give the ship enough damage to keep the players where you need to be.
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If you are going to ignore the roll (if its too high) and just script out what happens, why bother rolling in the first place?? Just script it out from beginnig to end.

I want there to be some damage to the ship. I have not decided how much damage will be done yet. I want to leave that to change but do not plan on destroying the entire ship. That is the point I was trying to make. In any event the ship will most likely be damaged to some degree.

MM
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an event important to the adventure, the ship being damaged by stormtroopers and forced to remain within atmosphere and land on the other side of the planet for repairs, why not make it a cut scene.

Run the firefight as per normal but once the PCs get aboard their ship and fire it up, describe the stormtroopers throwing thermals as a cut scene rather than an action declaration by combat rounds, eg. "two stormtroopers continue blasting at the entry ramp with their rifles, one with a light repeater starts raking its pulse-blasts across the engine complex trying to hit a vital location, whilst two stormtroopers throw thermals under the rear of the ship. From inside you can hear the muffled blasts all across the hull, then suddenly a tremendous explosion beneath the rear of the vessel rocks the entire craft and emergency horns begin blaring throughout the ship. The fuel cells are ruptured and leaving atmosphere will be extremely dangerous until repaired, making hyperspace will be impossible."
Then have an NPC (it's smart for the GM to always have at least one NPC with a PC party, I usually have one or two mixed in as regular party members), simply suggest they take off and take a suborbital path to the other side of the planet for repairs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: