The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New to GMing Star Wars RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> New to GMing Star Wars RPG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: New to GMing Star Wars RPG Reply with quote

I am starting up a game and have no experience. What books/resources would anyone sugest? I have the second edition rule book, should I get the revised and expanded one? Any comments are good.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy 2nd R&E, I do recommend it. As for other books, it really depends on what you want to run, what kind of characters will you be playing with?

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: New to GMing Star Wars RPG Reply with quote

Gavin wrote:
I am starting up a game and have no experience...I have the second edition rule book, should I get the revised and expanded one?

No. There are three versions of the rule book, but the differences between them are minor. I've played and directed (GM'd) all three versions, and the book you have is fine.

Rule books and guide books provide a framework within which to game, but they're not the most important thing. What you need to be a good director is 1) a love of Star Wars and 2) the desire to tell a story. Everything else is secondary.

If you need ideas, look up my profile and click on the line that says "find all posts". Anything marked with a Idea is an idea for new directors. Use what you like. Ignore what you don't. Tell a good story, and your players will have a good time.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: read the post blast it Reply with quote

I don't have any books except the main rulebook. Back when Star Wars was still on WEG I didn't have the money to buy the books. Now that I got back to playing it, the %#!X&es of the coast have the rights and I really HATE the 3rd edition D&D rules.

I found there are enough resources on the internet to run campaigns in almost any age of the SW-universe.

>-q=p---
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd NOT recommend the 1st ed one. It's just not as "fleshed-out" as the 2nd ed/2nd ed R&E books. Some skills greatly differ from 1st ed to 2nd ed, also, I think. That could end up tripping you up if you plan to play some of the adventure modules that were published after the 2nd ed book came out. I think the rules regarding force use also got a major overhall...

Correct me if I am wrong. Going on memory here.
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope!

I agree with ya!

Stick to the 2nd Edition Books.

If you can get 2nd Ed R+E, I highly recommend it.

But 2nd Edition (Blue Book) works just as well and you can get the revisions here that updates it to R+E.

http://www.rancorpit.com/swrules.shtml

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: