The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am holding hope Ep 7-9 will be decent but i do hope disney does not kid them down.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like 7-9 will be based on Lucas' original storyline-that's good.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what that might have been??

Though i would love to see the Thrawn trilogy put to film..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that Lucas really had a solid storyline for it originally. There have been rumors though that EVI wasn't supposed to be the end, and was written considerably differently in the earlier drafts. Han was killed, Luke fell to the Dark Side, and Leia redeemed him, and there were several Death Stars, and not just one. If those rumors are true, then Dark Horse picked those ideas up and ran with them. Further, if the rumors are true, he nixed most of the ideas, and re-wrote the script as Return of the Jedi and ended the possibility of those story lines being played.

Personally, I'm guessing he had a seed or two in mind for a "sequel trilogy" and probably had a few half-baked ideas as to what Luke would be doing, but I seriously doubt that he had it drafted out back in the 80's.

Of course, now that he's handing Star Wars off, he's apparently taken some things to the drawing board. He said that he's worked on the next movies, and I have no reason to doubt that. It's probably going to be for the best. When he has a story and lets someone else flesh it out and develop a script, things have gone much better. We all knwo what a great job Leigh Bracket did with ESB.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So, three more Star Wars films, that will be less likely to suck, but will potentially include musical numbers with dance routines and a Justin Bieber cameo...

I'm not sure what to think...

'Cause that's what we've seen happen with Pixar and Marvel, right?
I recognize that the comment was tongue-in-cheek, but it's certainly not a unique sentiment, I've seen it dozens of times in other media.

Personally, I see this as a good thing, and, at worst, neutral. If Lucas Film et al. are permitted the same level of autonomy as Marvel, Pixar, etc. from the Disney parent, and Lucas is stepping back from controlling everything, there can only be good things from this... it certainly can't be any worse than Attack of the Clones (or, if you will, since there's some divide on which is worse, Phantom Menace).

Bigkrieg wrote:
I am just glad that George Lucas will be out of the picture. Hopefully Disney will care about the fans more and maybe... just maybe... they will release the original starwars on DVD without all of that extra crap in there. Maybe they will even restore Han shooting first!

Wouldn't that be great?!? Blu-ray, even Smile

Whill wrote:
Bigkrieg wrote:
I am just glad that George Lucas will be out of the picture.

George Lucas will be executive creative consultant for the new films, not unlike Roddenberry was for the first six Trek films. Sorry, Lucas is not completely out of the picture.

Luckily, creative consultant is quite different from executive director, or director, or writer, or… etc. in power/control.

garhkal wrote:
I am holding hope Ep 7-9 will be decent but i do hope disney does not kid them down.

Can't kid them down any more than Lucas himself had with the Prequels and updated OT.

cheshire wrote:
I don't know that Lucas really had a solid storyline for it originally.

Personally, I'm guessing he had a seed or two in mind for a "sequel trilogy" and probably had a few half-baked ideas as to what Luke would be doing, but I seriously doubt that he had it drafted out back in the 80's.

Yeah, I have the same feeling. Vague ideas, but nothing solid.

cheshire wrote:
… Han was killed, Luke fell to the Dark Side, and Leia redeemed him, and there were several Death Stars, and not just one. If those rumors are true, then Dark Horse picked those ideas up and ran with them. …

Yeah, with the exception of Han dying, and multiple death stars (in the films, at least), those were incorporated in RotJ, with Luke's momentary lapse to the Dark Side on the Death Star, caused by and returned by thoughts of Leia… the themes were more heavily used by Dark Horse and DelRey in the EU material.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: GL to donate most proceeds, Hamill & Fisher knew Ep VII Reply with quote

The plot thickens. So in August Lucas had told Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher both about the plans to create a third Star Wars trilogy that would be executive produced by Lucas' chosen Lucasfilm successor Kathleen Kennedy and also not directed by Lucas, but he hadn't mentioned anything about selling Lucasfilm to Disney back then. Mark Hamill weighs in on the future of 'Star Wars'. Interesting.

I've read a lot of fan speculation that assumes the new trilogy will take place soon after Return of the Jedi and thus would feature our classic trinity recast by young actors. If Episode VII is set about 35 years after Episode VI, then that would allow Hamill and Fisher to reprise their roles at an appropriate age while being supporting cast (leaders/mentors) to the next generation of 20-something aged main heroes. It's possible!

In other news, Lucas will donate the majority of the proceeds to philanthropic endeavors. "I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education. It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future -- and the first step begins with social, emotional and intellectual tools we provide to our children. As humans, our greatest tool for survival is our ability to think and to adapt -- as educators, storytellers and communicators, our responsibility is to continue to do so."

I got tears in my eyes when I read that. Not only do I share Lucas' immense passion for education improvement, but this completely debunks all of Lucas' detractors who thought that he only revised the classic trilogy and made the prequels out of intense greed for more personal wealth. The whole "The only people that liked Jar Jar were kids who begged their parents to buy Jar Jar toys" crap I've heard a thousand times. This past February, I was criticized for seeing Episode I 3D in the theater because it was really all a conspiracy just to make Ebenezer Lucas richer.

I can respect anyone's opinion for hating the prequels and feeling Lucas lost his magic back in the 90s. But Lucas donating well over $2 Billion to charity (on top of all of his previous philanthropy) proves he is not motivated by personal greed. This is the same man who is developing low-income housing on part of his land after the rich snobs of his local home-owners association blocked his attempt to create a new movie studio there. These rich people didn't want middle-class people (or local economic growth) on their lands, so now they are getting poor people. Over the years, George Lucas has also bought local lands near his property and developed them into public parks. I've also read that some corporate business analysts are saying Lucasfilm (with the Star Wars, ILM and Skywalker Sound properties, etc.) are worth much more than $4.05 billion. I've read some estimates that value Lucasfilm as high as $30 billion in value, and if so, then Lucas is getting much less than what it is really worth.

Hate Lucas as a movie-maker and franchise manager if you must, but no one with any credibility whatsoever can call Lucas a greedy money-grubber.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: GL to donate most proceeds, Hamill & Fisher knew abo Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I've read a lot of fan speculation that assumes the new trilogy will take place soon after Return of the Jedi and thus would feature our classic trinity recast by young actors. If Episode VII is set about 35 years after Episode VI, then that would allow Hamill and Fisher to reprise their roles at an appropriate age while being supporting cast (leaders/mentors) to the next generation of 20-something aged main heroes. It's possible!

Just before Second Galactic Civil War and after Swarm War? That could be interesting, but I hope they won't try to squeeze anything after Endor. The storyline after Endor is already overloaded with "major events" of X-Wing - Thrawn - Dark Empire and many other.

There could be a nice trilogy with Jacen Solo and his path to the dark side, ending with episode IX which would cover first books from Second Galactic Civil War and rise of Darth Caedus, exactly like episodes I-III do about Anakin. In the books it is said that he traveled a lot before learning new force techniques.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that there's any regard for what's already been written. I somehow doubt they're going to do a lot of research to keep everything consistent, especially since Lucas has only passing regard for the creative works that others have constructed, and Lucas helped outline the sequel trilogy.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the orgnial storline AFAIK was set in the future, and was supposed to feature the next generation. Hamill was supposedly on contract to appear as an older Luke to act as a mentor to the next Jedi.

How much of that is still applicable, especially after ROTJ, is anybody's guess.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Well the orgnial storline AFAIK was set in the future, and was supposed to feature the next generation. Hamill was supposedly on contract to appear as an older Luke to act as a mentor to the next Jedi.

How much of that is still applicable, especially after ROTJ, is anybody's guess.

You recollections are reportedly correct, except that there was no actual contract with Hamill to come back for sequel trilogies. Hamill has stated that during the filming of the original Star Wars film, Lucas had mentioned to him the possiblity of Hamill eventually playing Luke as an older "Old Ben" type of mentor to next generation of Jedi. Lucas abandoned the idea of sequel trilogies during the production of The Empire Strikes Back, and thus Return of the Jedi was altered accordingly to include plot points originally reserved for sequel trilogies, such as the defeat of the Emperor and the identity of Luke's long-lost sister being revealed (and it being Leia instead of a new character). Despite these conclusive aspects of RotJ, Lucas still had some sequel trilogy ideas that are salvageable for use in the new Disney SW movies.

Whill wrote:
According to this, the new movies will definitely NOT be based on any existing books. They will be completely original stories. That is great news!

Nico_Davout wrote:
Whill wrote:

Just before Second Galactic Civil War and after Swarm War? That could be interesting, but I hope they won't try to squeeze anything after Endor. The storyline after Endor is already overloaded with "major events" of X-Wing - Thrawn - Dark Empire and many other.

There could be a nice trilogy with Jacen Solo and his path to the dark side, ending with episode IX which would cover first books from Second Galactic Civil War and rise of Darth Caedus, exactly like episodes I-III do about Anakin. In the books it is said that he traveled a lot before learning new force techniques.

No, not between the "Swarm War" and the "Second Galactic Civil War". Instead of them.

cheshire wrote:
Assuming that there's any regard for what's already been written. I somehow doubt they're going to do a lot of research to keep everything consistent, especially since Lucas has only passing regard for the creative works that others have constructed, and Lucas helped outline the sequel trilogy.

Yes. I don't think that a completely original story for a new film trilogy means that they are going to try to shoehorn the plot into the existing EU timeline. Lucas always blatantly disregarded previous continuity. Lucas hand-picked Kathleen Kennedy to be his successor as Lucasfilm president, and a Lucas contingency of the Disney transaction is that Kennedy is also "Star Wars brand manager" under Disney. And I'm sure that Disney is thrilled with the arrangement anyway (to have long-time Spielberg producer in their camp with a long-term contract). So what makes you think Kathleen Kennedy and Disney will care about existing novels?

As popular as the novels are, there is a much greater population of Star Wars movie fans who have never read a single Star Wars novel and never will. It makes more commercial sense for the new movies to be completely free from the severe creative restrictions that come with the mountains of existing non-film continuity. Disney-Star Wars is even more likely to give the boot to the existing EU continuity than Lucasfilm was.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things that have been most on my mind have had more to do with the screen actors and screen writers guild. Will the new movies give in to the cries for credits beforehand, or will they begin as they always have with the "A long time ago..." and the opening crawl?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think Disney will improve continuity enforcement?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
The things that have been most on my mind have had more to do with the screen actors and screen writers guild. Will the new movies give in to the cries for credits beforehand, or will they begin as they always have with the "A long time ago..." and the opening crawl?

Good question. I see two factors. It depends on how much the Disney accountants have infuence over the budget, and which way the PR department will sway.

Choosing not to have credits at the beginning of the film will result in fines from the guild as it did for Fox on the original film, so Disney will have a choice to either accept the fines and make the new films seem more like the old ones, or put the credits there to not add to the budget by the avoidable fine amounts. I'm sure the fines are peanuts compared to Lucasfilm and Disney budgets, so it is not the $ amounts the bean counters will care about - It will just be the point of shaving off any unnecessary expenses to make the bottom line look that much better. Success and perception of success are both going to be important concerns to justify Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise. Every last bean will be counted.

Also, will Disney want to p!ss off the guilds as Lucas did? Lucas took his SW sequels and prequels independant of the guilds but I don't think Disney would want to have bad PR with them. On the other hand, the fans (end consumers) will want the new films to be like the old ones without credits, so who will Disney care about upsetting more?

Honestly, I personally care about the overall content and quality of the films much more than details like this. It would be nice to not have any credits at the beginning, but if the movies are good Star Wars films then I would be willing to accept credits at the beginning as a very minor issue. Keep in mind they could probably still make the guilds happy by having the traditional opening and then roll the credits over the beginning scenes of the actual film itself. I'm not saying that is better or worse, I'm just saying that's one possiblity. No matter what happens, we as fans would be better off accepting the reality that good or bad, Star Wars is no longer and independant film series. It is a now corporately-owned product.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Do you think Disney will improve continuity enforcement?

Great question! I assume you mean the future body of Disney-produced EU material in relation itself and the films. I wholeheartedly agree that Lucasfilm's continuity maintenance of the current EU has been utterly pathetic. I hope and pray it will be better under Disney, especially in light of how bad it is now.

We know little so far, but at this early stage we know that the new films will take place post-RotJ and they will not be based on existing novels. As I stated above in this thread, it would not be sensible for them to choose to be severely resticted by mountains of EU continuty and try to shoehorn the new films into the existing Eu timeline. Therefore, I think they are going to chuck the entire body of post-RotJ EU continuity and start off fresh. If they are going to chuck the post-RotJ EU, they may go ahead and chuck all the EU continuity. If they made "EU2", I think it would be much easier to maintain continuity.

However they may not completely jettison the previous EU. Instead they may continue using the current tiered canon structure, but maybe insert another canon level above the previous non-film levels, thus making all the previous continuity inferior and able to be retconned at any time by the newer Disney EU material. That would still eliminate the restictions on new products (making it easier to manage), but not completely do away with everything that happened before and instantly alienating a lot of old EU customers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
You recollections are reportedly correct, except that there was no actual contract with Hamill to come back for sequel trilogies. Hamill has stated that during the filming of the original Star Wars film, Lucas had mentioned to him the possiblity of Hamill eventually playing Luke as an older "Old Ben" type of mentor to next generation of Jedi. Lucas abandoned the idea of sequel trilogies during the production of The Empire Strikes Back, and thus Return of the Jedi was altered accordingly to include plot points originally reserved for sequel trilogies, such as the defeat of the Emperor and the identity of Luke's long-lost sister being revealed (and it being Leia instead of a new character). Despite these conclusive aspects of RotJ, Lucas still had some sequel trilogy ideas that are salvageable for use in the new Disney SW movies.

Well it helps to have read the book. Years ago, before the prequel when Star Wars was "dead", therew was a book called Skywaling that gave some infor about the origins of the Star Wars films, and it did have a couple of goodies in there. It's where I first ran across the term Padawan. So Lucas didn't make it all up for the prequel.

According to the book, Leia was supposed to be Luke sister from fairly early on, and she lived with him on Tatooine. Before that, it was more of a Hidden Kingdom motiff with an older Luke basically being more like Obi-wan. But it got dropped when Lucas shield away from the child princess on the run story (until TPM).

A few other things, such as Chewie being Han's girlfriend, also got dropped.

Considering how the Sith work, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Lucas to invent another apprentice for Palpatine or Vader who goes undercover until he can build up enough connections to set into motion whatever ideas Lukcas had left for Episodes 7-9. The only problems I can see is the Chosen One prophecy, but then, originally that was supposed to be Luke not Vader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20

Jump to: