The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

No, not between the "Swarm War" and the "Second Galactic Civil War". Instead of them.

So it is going to be another Transformers with dozens universes, variations and alternatives. OMG, hope it won't be that. Hope there won't be a day when people will say: we want Lucas and Jar Jar Binks back! Wink

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some degree we've already got alternate realities. Try reading Children of the Jedi and having it make one scrap of sense. Plenty of things in the Thrawn trilogy are contradicted by the new movies. Of course, it didn't start there. Ever read Splinter of the Mind's Eye? In the end, yeah, we'll have plenty of things that don't fit in with the movie continuity. When the new movies are out, people will write new novels matching the new events. The only difference will be the quantity of material contradicted, retconned, or otherwise creatively absorbed.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on...no one treats Children of the Jedi of Splinter as real books Wink .... or Crystal Star - I read it and understood nothing Shocked .

Anyway there are mistakes and inconsistencies, but these are only "at the corners". The whole universe is keeping together pretty good for something that big - comics, books, movies, RPG sources, etc.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely remember the content of Crystal Star. I clearly remember disliking it at the time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Excerpt from a fan film]:

Vader: "George never told you about Episodes 7, 8 and 9."
Luke: "He told me enough! He told me he wasn't going to make them."
Vader: "No. Kevin Anderson is going to make them."
Luke: "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

I suspect that ultimately Star Wars continutity and canon will end up following a model more like Star Trek's. THat is only the stuff we see in the films and on TV "counts". THat's pretty much what Lucas has been doing, and frankly, about the only way they can do it. As the number of novels and TV/flims grow, and since Lucas has already said that he will overide the novels as he sees fit, more condradictions are bound to occur, and more and more stuff from the novels will get thrown out or retconned. Eventually stuff from the novels will be so outdated that they novels will get shunted to an alternate universe.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
To some degree we've already got alternate realities. Try reading Children of the Jedi and having it make one scrap of sense. Plenty of things in the Thrawn trilogy are contradicted by the new movies. Of course, it didn't start there. Ever read Splinter of the Mind's Eye? In the end, yeah, we'll have plenty of things that don't fit in with the movie continuity. When the new movies are out, people will write new novels matching the new events. The only difference will be the quantity of material contradicted, retconned, or otherwise creatively absorbed.

...I recall Lucas saying in an interview that Star Wars was a "Multi-verse". This leaves any Infinities as a possibility, or even our own respective interpretations/settings, etc...as potentially acceptable. (For me, the Episodes 1-3 that fit with the OT have yet to ever be made...but that's a whole separate rant in & of itself, lol)
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are going to be making movies that follow the originals, I really hope that they start with the Thrawn series. Those were always among my favorate books.

There are a lot of other things that they could do as well. Anything from TV series (Maybe an X-Wing series?) New Ewok movies, maybe something from the TotJ or KotOR era?

My biggest worry is that they will try to replace the existing books/comics/etc with their own materials instead of creating new material that compliments and/or makes use of it.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want them to start with the Thrawn trilogy? I mean, I loved the books and everything, but if the story has already been done, and you would have to REALLY snip out a lot to make it fit on screen, why start making movies with that? Or do you mean you would love to see them do plot lines around that time period without contradicting what was done in the books?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
You want them to start with the Thrawn trilogy? I mean, I loved the books and everything, but if the story has already been done, and you would have to REALLY snip out a lot to make it fit on screen, why start making movies with that? Or do you mean you would love to see them do plot lines around that time period without contradicting what was done in the books?

I'd actually love to see them adapt the Thrawn trillogy into a trillogy of movies. They may need to trim some things down a little, but I honestly think it would be a great place to start.

That said, no matter what they end up doing, some people arent going to be happy. If they stay close to the existing materials, some people will be dissapointed by what was cut or modified to make it all work. If they create new materisls, people will be upset about how it differs from canon. Right or wrong, I'm just happy that someone is going to at least try to create some new movies in the series!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that theForce.net had a casting poll featuring several Thrawn trilogy characters. I think the winners were Jeremy Irons for Thrawn and Derek Jacoby as Pellaeon.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons would make for an excellent thrawn.

But who would do cyboth?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Connery or Ian McKellen.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Irons would make for an excellent thrawn.

But who would do cyboth?

It's a shame Christopher Lee is already in the canon as Dooku, because he would be an excellent C'baoth. Watching him as Saruman, he has just the right look, plus that unhinged air that someone would need to portray a mad clone Jedi master.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Gary Oldman?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 3 of 20

Jump to: