The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate force-using traditions, how do you handle them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternate force-using traditions, how do you handle them?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Alternate force-using traditions, how do you handle them? Reply with quote

Ok yet again, I’ve been digging around wookiepedia and saw the various force using traditions. How do you all handle them?

The only reason I ask is because (if I ever get to run a game) I am planning on having force users a little more prevalent than in the movies, at least through the Empire era (Darth, a few old Jedi hiding out, and Luke) and to a point even more prevalent than the following EU. I just can’t see only a hand full of force users living through the whole galaxy. And even only 2 Jedi, plus a few thrown into the following books, surviving the purge seems a bit too few for me. Yes most of the fighting Jedi tied into the war are easy pickings with order 66. However, more than just a sliver should have survived. I would assume that many of the survivors, especially the younglings & padawans would be drawn to or actively recruited by the alternative force using groups. Even the surviving Jedi would gravitate towards them (at least the good groups) they may disagree on the fine points of force philosophy, but there is safety in numbers …

With that, how do you handle the other force traditions? Especially the ones that seem to be able to use the force more offensively without receiving significant DSPs?

I am specifically looking at the Potentium, Grey Jedi (though they aren’t immune from the draw of the dark side), the Grey Paladins, & the Jensaarai.

Oh yeah, with the Potentium I found my Greco-Roman version of the Jedi. With that, I will HAVE to dig into them …

Forgive all spelling errors.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken the Jensaarai and the Witches of Dathomir were given coverage in Cracken's Threat Dossier. The general advice of that book was "be careful in letting your players use this."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was Falanassi from the Black Fleet Crisis, not the Jensaarai. I lose track after a while...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Some of those traditions just run together after a while.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken to testing a singe-Attribute Force system in the past couple years (though I've only had opportunity to test it a little due to a lack of d6 playing), that treats the Force Powers as skills under the Force attribute... With this system, the alternate Force use paths work exactly the same as the Jedi; there's the base Force ability, and each power has its own rating (kinda like the Dathomirian spells in Cracken's); with this in mind, each tradition would simply have its own power list.

Using standard rules, I've only tested the Dathomirian rules, and they work OK, but not great; the power is a little too spread out.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Oh yeah. Some of those traditions just run together after a while.

Rgr on that ... before digging into wookiepedia last night, I had NO IDEA that there were sooooo many versions of force users.

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken the Jensaarai and the Witches of Dathomir were given coverage in Cracken's Threat Dossier. The general advice of that book was "be careful in letting your players use this."

After thinking about it, that is good advice with the Jans... regardless of them being (or not being) in that book. I'm not sure how they were in the books, but knowing the average player (at least from my C&C games and back in the day with SW) opening that Pandora's box may be toooo much of an open door for dark side abuse

Ankhanu

Rgr, I like the idea of your force attribute system and if I ever get to play/run a game, it'll be in my house rules.

From what I read last night, I think that at least for Grey & Potentium would be simply Jedi that have a different angle on the force and may debate standard Jedi on fine points but actual mechanics will be the same. With that, I'll have to look at having the Potentium use the force as effectivly with a blaster as a Jedi with the LS ...

Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Ankhanu

Rgr, I like the idea of your force attribute system and if I ever get to play/run a game, it'll be in my house rules.

Feel free, let me know how it works for you.
For the most part, the Powers shouldn't really change much to be used here, but some will. I drafted up a rework of Lightsaber Combat that should work with the new ruleset... and really, I think it would adapt itself well to greater implementation of just a Force Combat system, in which the base principle of split die pool would apply widely, whereas something like parrying blaster bolts would be lightsaber specific.

lurker wrote:
From what I read last night, I think that at least for Grey & Potentium would be simply Jedi that have a different angle on the force and may debate standard Jedi on fine points but actual mechanics will be the same. With that, I'll have to look at having the Potentium use the force as effectivly with a blaster as a Jedi with the LS ...

Yeah, a lot of the Grey idea, etc. is largely fluff. However, I was also working on a Force Alignement system, modeled after concepts in KorOR, back in the day. It still needs a lot of work, especially regarding the Dark Side, but feel free to read and adapt as you like. It was designed in such a way that it could easily work with classic Force rules or the single attribute system.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankh

Thanks for posting those. It will be months (at best) before I can play much less run a game, so it’ll be a while before I can field test them.

That said, first look at the LS combat, rgr on your difference between other combat and the reflect bolts.

Also, I like your idea on the force alignment. I agree the dark side should be more seductive. However, I’m not sure any rules mechanic can capture that and it’ll be up to the GM to try and entice the character here and there. That said, I’d still say that things like force lightning would still inherently be evil and cause a DSP (at least if used by a light leaning Jedi. However, I like the idea of it opening up force push kind of powers to light users. Especially in light of the Potentium minded users (and the Clone Wars more aggressive use of the force)

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that I'm coming into this a little late, but I'll put in my two bits anyway.

I honestly think there are a lot more force users in the galaxy than it feels like in the books/movies/games. The reason that it dosnt always seem like there are many is because a lot of them spend their time trying to lay low so they arent noticed.

My advice:
1. Dont over do it. The Empire hunted ALL force users that they thaught could be a threat. Any time that force users gathered in any number,the Empire came after them. Even non-Jedi got pretty good at avoiding anyone who might be able to identify them as force users.
2. Do your homework. Choose a couple of groups that you want to use an read up on them. Add additional groups to the game as you go instead of trying to add everything at once.
3. If your players are NOT playing any non-Jedi force users, then dont share a bunch of informaton about those non-Jedi groups. Instead, let the characters learn about those groups through play.
4. Dont forget the Jedi & Sith. Even if your story dosnt focus on those groups, they are still the best known force user groups in the galaxy. People's prejudouses and preconceptions will affect the way people treat them even if they are not part of ether of those groups.
5. If the players are NOT playing non-Jedi force users, then you can fudge a lot of details instead of spending a bunch of time worrying about the mechanics. Sometimes its enough just to know that something works, you dont always need to know how.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the reference (it may have come from the Wookieepedia article on Mandalorians), but I read somewhere that Mandalorians, as a rule, were never Force sensitive, and that "Mandalorian Jedi" were really just non-Mandalorian Force sensitives wearing Mandalorian armor.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
I honestly think there are a lot more force users in the galaxy than it feels like in the books/movies/games.

I dunno, man. It always seemed to me that access to the Force was something of a rare gift/curse... I mean, yeah, there might be billions throughout the galaxy, but, in light of the 100 quadrillion beings they're a subset of, it'd still be quite rare.
WEG certainly engendered this concept, and I agree with that choice.

Guardian_A wrote:
My advice:
1. Dont over do it. The Empire hunted ALL force users that they thaught could be a threat. Any time that force users gathered in any number,the Empire came after them. Even non-Jedi got pretty good at avoiding anyone who might be able to identify them as force users.
2. Do your homework. Choose a couple of groups that you want to use an read up on them. Add additional groups to the game as you go instead of trying to add everything at once.
3. If your players are NOT playing any non-Jedi force users, then dont share a bunch of informaton about those non-Jedi groups. Instead, let the characters learn about those groups through play.
4. Dont forget the Jedi & Sith. Even if your story dosnt focus on those groups, they are still the best known force user groups in the galaxy. People's prejudouses and preconceptions will affect the way people treat them even if they are not part of ether of those groups.
5. If the players are NOT playing non-Jedi force users, then you can fudge a lot of details instead of spending a bunch of time worrying about the mechanics. Sometimes its enough just to know that something works, you dont always need to know how.

Good advice, particularly #5.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I honestly think there are a lot more force users in the galaxy than it feels like in the books/movies/games. The reason that it dosnt always seem like there are many is because a lot of them spend their time trying to lay low so they arent noticed.

Quote:

I dunno, man. It always seemed to me that access to the Force was something of a rare gift/curse... I mean, yeah, there might be billions throughout the galaxy, but, in light of the 100 quadrillion beings they're a subset of, it'd still be quite rare.
WEG certainly engendered this concept, and I agree with that choice.

I think that is chasing the same rabbit down different holes. & I agree, it is RARE, but also when you look at the number of beings, there has to be more than only 100ish Jedi and a hand full of other users here and there.

Quote:

Guardian_A wrote:
My advice:

Good advice, particularly #5.

Rgr on those.

Especially, #2. If I ever get to run a game, I'll have the standard Jedi & Sith as everyone knows them, But also have "grey" Jedi be a little more prevalent (not fighting the Jedi, just not agreeing with their regimentalized structure and rules) and Potentium Jedi being in the mix. As for the other traditions being out there in the background somewhere but the party will have to look to find them.

Also, rgr on #1. As the Empire grows, if you are a force user, you have to be VERY careful of who you trust and associate with. Very much an underground resistance mindset. That said, I'd also look at the WWII underground movements to see that despite the danger etc, these groups would risk themselves to help other 'freedom fighters" so there will always be the underlying tension between quietly surviving and risking yourself to help a force user on the run.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I don't recall the reference (it may have come from the Wookieepedia article on Mandalorians), but I read somewhere that Mandalorians, as a rule, were never Force sensitive, and that "Mandalorian Jedi" were really just non-Mandalorian Force sensitives wearing Mandalorian armor.

Thanks, I didn't know that (again back to my weakness in the setting).That makes my Mandalorian question "a horse of a different color". I assume as there are races that lean toward force sensitive there will be others that lean away form it and Mandalorians are one such race. Therefore and Mandalorian user would be rare in deed!

Thanks

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the more "estoric/off the beaten path" you have force using groups be, the harder it should also be to find any teachers in it, let alone masters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: