The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mission to Lianna advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Mission to Lianna advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Mission to Lianna advice Reply with quote

I'm running a bit behind in my planning for this week's gaming session, so I'm thinking about running a pre written story for our group when we get together tomorow. Skimming through Mission to Lianna, it looks like the story actually touches on a few things thatI had already planned to deal with in my campaign, so I've decided to run it tomorrow. I plan to read the module in detail tonight, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for running the story? Any pitfalls of hangups I sould be concened about? I dont think that stats will be an issue, as I am usually able to adjust or rewrite those on the fly with little real effort.

Here is the campaign journal up to this point if anyone is curious about how the story might fit in with the story up to this point: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4134

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the mission to lianna a bit bland IIRC. Kind of a 'standard' planet with a rather boring city. Spice up the city somehow is my advice. Also, the breakin in the HQ could be placed somewhere else than a really tall office building (again IIRC).

Doesnt the adventure start with the empire having lost a cloaking device while on a test run? I found it a bit weird that they would test the device so close to a major city in a heavily trafficed system.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

It looks like we wont be getting together to game this week. One of our players called in sick, and the second had some personal matters to deal with today. That left just two of us, which resulted in a few hours of Left 4 Dead on the xbox instead of regular gaming.

I had time to read through and rewrite about half of the module last night. I had decided to make some fairly major changes to the story to spice it up and to make it more a part of the campaign we have been running. The history and feel of the planet probably had the biggest overauls and involved a couple of hours of researching wookieepedia and rewriting some of the flavor text for the module. On the up side, we wont be getting together to play again until next Sunday, so I should have plenty of time to finish prepping the module.

As for the cloaking device. I figured that the research was in its later stages, combine that with a person in charge who is arrogant and wants to make a point, I didnt think the 'public display' was all that surprising.

I think the most dissapointing thing to myself today was that I had taken the time to set up the star system for when the chracters arrived, then we didnt get to play. I had dug out my Starship Battles miniatures and placed two SSB maps side by side. Then I had proceded to place 8 Imperial Star Destroyers, a hand full of Neblon-B Frigates, a few other custom built Imperial capital ships, and about 30 TIE fighters. I was really looking forward to seeing the looks on everyone's faces when the dropped out of hypespace and I sat their starship right in the middle of that, . . . . Oh well, there's always next week! Twisted Evil
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell us the changes you made? I will probably run the adventure again with some changes myself (I have Starfall and straigth into Otherspace placed first).

Having a headache to change Starfall atm, so some tips regarding Lianna would be great.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Could you tell us the changes you made? I will probably run the adventure again with some changes myself (I have Starfall and straigth into Otherspace placed first).

Having a headache to change Starfall atm, so some tips regarding Lianna would be great.

The first thing I'm going to say is that I have at least one player who frequents this forum. I dont think he will bother to read this, but I'm going to avoid sharing too many details just so I dont spoil everything for him on the off chance he does read this thread.

I'll see about posting a list of changes once I've finished going over everything and had a chance to run the entire story.

As it stands right now, I've boiled the entire story down to: 1. The characters are sent on a high priority mission to Lianna to deliver information vital to the resistance in the area. 2. The character's ship detects the cloaked probe droid (As described in the module.) 3. Upon arriving on planet, they have a difficult time contacting the person they were supposed to deliver the information to. 4. The players discover that the local resistance has been decimated in a series of raids recently. The few remaining rebels are parnoid and warry of srangers, especially strangers delivering information about the same cloaking technology that the local resistance had been trying to steal. Thats the short version of what I'm planning at this point.

The rest of th story will involve the characters destroying/stealing the cloaking technology (This will be time sensitive, so it will have to be dealt with first.) In the proccess, I'd like to find a way to bring some of the scientists/engineers from the NOVA project into the story at least in passing. From there, the players will discover that there is a chance to save the surviving members of the local resistance, while doing this, they will be forced to deal with the Imperial presence in the system on a much more personal level and discover how the local resistance was dicsovered and dealt with so effectively. The rest of it will turn into a desperate rush to escape the system (With the cloaking data if they were able to retreive it) and return to their commanding officer on Corellia for their next mission.

If you want, I'd be happy to act as a sounding board for ideas with your Starfall mod? What kind(s) of changes are you planning to make?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

The short version of the story this week (First 1/2 - 1/3 of the story was run this weekend.) can be found here: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=129679#129679

Up to this point, most of the changes havent been too earth shattering, but they have laid the ground work for many of the changes that take place later.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own this adventure, so do plan on running it down the road, but it will be some time (based on the timeframe my characters are at).

I'm looking forward to hearing about the parts you decided to change, Guardian, just as I've been enjoying reading about your campaign on the other thread!
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I finished running the scenario. It ended up being run as a two part adventure. Both parts should be up in the campaign thread (Session 4 & 5) The first part of the story ran much like the book, the second part was an almost complete rewrite. The players all enjoyed the adventure, and it gave me a chance to plant some plot hooks for later in the campaign.

I'm glad that you have been enjoying my campaign notes! I was kind of wondering if anyone had taken an interest in them or not. Either way, the notes have proven to be a quick and easy resource for both me and the players by posting them here on the RancorPit.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do the same thing (doing summaries), and also find it really helpful. You can see my stuff on the "Death of Liberty" thread.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had been looking that over earlier. I've been enjoying the summeries.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...One change I made to that adventure is that the stakes are higher if the PCs try to fight their way out of system:

1= With this being the HQ of SFS meant that there was a good chance of new TIE models being in orbit (& ready to vape some fools in a glorified Tramp Freighter).
2= For the same reason, more security--Stormtroopers guarding the assembly lines, for example--but more local security forces in the vicinity of the building (incentives such as extra shares of blue chip stock as hazardous duty pay helped to make sure the extra guards were not sub-standard--they like those quarterly dividend checks!)
& 3 Beefed up system defenses: a few Golan Arms platforms, several local Capital ships (I used the Prosperity-class cruiser from Elrood Sector, supplemented by Marauder-class corvettes from the Corp. Sector Authority).

...just this made it a good deal more challenging. Might not be what you were looking for, but I wanted to chip in my 2 creds worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: