The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force lighting: Is it 1D damage for each 1D in alter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force lighting: Is it 1D damage for each 1D in alter? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Force lighting: Is it 1D damage for each 1D in alter? Reply with quote

Accroding to Tales of the JEDI force lighting does 1D damage for every 2D in alter. According to the Thrawn Trilogy source book it's 1D damage for every 1D in alter. Which is it?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever the GM of the game prefers.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I think this is a case of bad editing on the part of West End Games. If you look closely, there are a fair number of inconsistencies that can be found throughout the books. I agree with Crell, this is something the GM has to interpret/decide.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would go with for each 1D of ALTER = 1D of damage of Force lightning rule:

1) The sourcebook about the Thrawn series came first, and
2) I never bothered with the "Tales of the Jedi" sourcebook.

My two cents. Smile
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1D every 2D alter. Otherwise, the skill is overkill

Cheers,
Alex
Take my sun away, away...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd say both are right. Perhaps as time went by Force-users learned how to better manipulate the Force to make certain powers more powerful and/or damaging.

Wanted Poster
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in nerfing the power to 1D/2D. I consider this nerfing, because you'd need a 10D alter to the same damage as a heavy blaster pistol. And even getting the 5cp for every darkside point you get, that still will take you forever and a day to achieve. Due to the fact that you cannot raise an attribute or skill by more than +1 at a time. (this is speaking from the stand point of a player) A GMC, giving them a 10D alter or whatever isn't that big a thing. But still... even a 10D electricution can still be stopped by a force point, or by using the force. On top of that. Norms shouldn't be fighting a dark jedi... period...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, let me explain my point. We will assume that:

1- Force lightning is a dark side power, and there are no dark side player characters.
2- Force lightning is *NOT* a newbie power. Only skilled sith have used it on the movies, so i guess it would require a bit of training
3- We want balanced powers

Then!
You dont have to worry about low levels of alter not the time to raise the skill. Its an NPC skill, and only POWERFUL dark jedi can use it. That means their alter is already high. Plus force lightning ignores any armor the user wears. It also auto-hits, so you cannot dodge. I've seen many versions of the power online, and most not only deal damage, but cripple the target for a round. That means instant death! Even if you don't apply that, the power is already *really* nasty.

Also, i think force lightning's auto-hit should be enough to nerf it, otherwise no one would use bolt of hatred!!! (the charater point loss feature is *completely* disabled on my games.

Bottom line: I also let jedi parry force lightnings with their lightsabers -i had them doing it before episode 2!- The difficulty is the dark jedi control roll. I also think that the power * SHOULD * be dodgeable if you go for full damage.

Cheers,
Alex
Take my sun away, away...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to take into account, all the other damaging force powers are also at the 1d damage per 2d in alter. So it is a consistency issue. That and it does not get too overkill when the DJ is on a force point AND a dark side force point.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Hellcat. The newer power was as researched and learned by Newer Dark Jedi and sith, as tales of the Jedi is set a long time before SW4, let alone Thrawn.

garhkal wrote:
That and it does not get too overkill when the DJ is on a force point AND a dark side force point.

You are speaking of getting double force point benifits, which the rules strictly prohibit. a Dark Side embued force point is still a force point, and can not be spent simultaneously to a regular force point to quadruple your rolls.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect Kage. As per page 86 of the R&E rule book,
"A character whi syccessfully calls upon the darkside receives a force point, which must be spend immediatly - this is in addition to any other force point spent that round."
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in the rule book it makes it clear you can not double up on spending force points on the same action, thus quadrupling bonuses. This is in all three rule books, so the assment I made is quite correct.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1D damage per 2D ALTER.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1D damage per 1D Alter seems reasonable enough to me. This is, mind you, assuming that:

Force skills start at 1D

Force skills cost similar to/more than regular skills to advance.

This means that getting 5D damage, enough for a HBP/BR is at least 3*4*(5/2)=3*2*5=30CP. Quite a lot of CP for simply blaster-level damage. Not to mention all the time required to obtain that amount if the Dark Jedi isn't using Alter every adventure.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is reasonable to say there are two variations of this power. After all, there are force powers to do things already covered by other force powers already in the printed books. It could be based on the actual power the Dark Jedi learned? As mentioned earlier, since this is a dark side power, the amount of CP and such becomes irrelevant unless you are running a dark side campaign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: