The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Generic Bar Map? (introductory adventure campaign)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Generic Bar Map? (introductory adventure campaign) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphnebluestrat
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Generic Bar Map? (introductory adventure campaign) Reply with quote

Friends of the Rancor Pit:

I am a long-time reader, very (very, very) occasional poster, and I now come before you with a request for information!

I am currently running a group of players new to Star Wars D6 through the Introductory Adventure Campaign; next Wednesday we'll be playing Episode 2, which includes a brawl in a fairly low-tech bar on a backwater world. All of my players are used to running combat scenes with a grid to help visualize who's where and so forth.

I have no problem with USING grid maps...just a hard time CREATING them. Do any of you have a generic (aka Not-Wuher's-Cantina) bar grid map, or know of any websites that might have something like that?

(Props to anybody who's made one for this particular bar fight)
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use grid maps for our games as well.

Go check out your local gaming store. Piazo has an exelent assortment of dry-erase maps for sale (Fantasy setting), that work great for either outdoor adventures, or low tech adventures. There are a couple of tavern style maps that might serve your purpose (There are three at least). They also have a blank grid map that sees a lot of use with our group since we can simply draw out whatever we want on it.

If you had the blank map, you could probably draw out a close proximity to one of the cantinas from the "Wretched Hive" book.

Hope that helps at least a little bit!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I picked up some of Paizo's Galaxy Tiles, made specifically for Star Wars. They have some neat things drawn in, like control panels, Imperial symbols, TIE fighters, etc., but none really specifically for a cantina, unfortunately.

Here is a picture of what they look like, and from this discussion it sounds like they at least had the intent to make some for cantina scenes (though I don't know if this ever happened).
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Years ago I picked up some of Paizo's Galaxy Tiles, made specifically for Star Wars. They have some neat things drawn in, like control panels, Imperial symbols, TIE fighters, etc., but none really specifically for a cantina, unfortunately.

Here is a picture of what they look like, and from this discussion it sounds like they at least had the intent to make some for cantina scenes (though I don't know if this ever happened).

I thought those were made by Wizards of the Coast? (And yes, this was the only tile set they ever released for Star Wars.) I picked up two of those tile sets back when they were released. They are great for deckplans, or the inside of Imperial garrisons and the such, but not much else. Also, many of the Star Wars Miniatures sets came with maps. I cant think of any of the maps or tiles that would help in this case though.

That said, in addition to the Piazo stuff, WotC has a lot of maps AND tile sets associated with D&D that may prove useful for a more primitive tavern, . . .

The last option I can think of is to his DriveThruRPG and look up some of their tile/map sets. You may be able to find what you are looking for there.

A lot of this has to do with how much money you want to invest in your maps. If you want something cheap, then I'd suggest the dry-erase flip mat I mentioned earlier and just draw a close proximity to an existing cantina map. If you want to make a bigger investment, I'd suggest looking into some of the Star Wars Miniatures starter sets (Which come with their own maps) or some of the Piazo or D&D maps or tile sets, both of which has an exelent assortment of midevil era items.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the Tatooine map for the minis game (and a non-minis-color-coded map was released for the SAGA RPG) had a cantina in it. Granted, the cantina wasn't the only thing on the map, but it's there.

It may be worth searching through Paizo under the terms "map pack" as they have at least 17 pages of tiles and maps. Most of them are fantasy, but I saw all varieties of maps listed on there. Granted, I got bored at page 5 without seeing cantinas, but it's worth looking if you're in the market for bars.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

I thought those were made by Wizards of the Coast? (And yes, this was the only tile set they ever released for Star Wars.) I picked up two of those tile sets back when they were released. They are great for deckplans, or the inside of Imperial garrisons and the such, but not much else. Also, many of the Star Wars Miniatures sets came with maps. I cant think of any of the maps or tiles that would help in this case though.

That said, in addition to the Piazo stuff, WotC has a lot of maps AND tile sets associated with D&D that may prove useful for a more primitive tavern, . . .

The last option I can think of is to his DriveThruRPG and look up some of their tile/map sets. You may be able to find what you are looking for there.

A lot of this has to do with how much money you want to invest in your maps. If you want something cheap, then I'd suggest the dry-erase flip mat I mentioned earlier and just draw a close proximity to an existing cantina map. If you want to make a bigger investment, I'd suggest looking into some of the Star Wars Miniatures starter sets (Which come with their own maps) or some of the Piazo or D&D maps or tile sets, both of which has an exelent assortment of midevil era items.

Yes, GA, you're absolutely right. Now that I'm home, I can verify that they're indeed made by WotC.

Last time I needed a cantina, I did exactly as you suggested. I used our standard, light brown vinyl grid map and layed out the Mos Eisley cantina (which I've got a paper map of, enlarged to full-scale). Then I simply drew out my own version (with a few variations) before the players showed up.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the WEG book Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy has several different cantinas and similar "hang-outs".

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I know the WEG book Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy has several different cantinas and similar "hang-outs".

On that note, you could just "Bing" or "Google" "Tavern Maps" and you should get a LOT of great floorplans that shouldnt be too hard to copy (I ran the search on Bing and got several great maps, several of which were on a 1" grid.)
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which makes sense. It's a trope of the typical fantasy RPG for the players to first meet in a tavern.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Which makes sense. It's a trope of the typical fantasy RPG for the players to first meet in a tavern.

I think that stands for more than fantasy RPGs. For Star Wars, it seems like a lot of groups spend most of their down time in one cantina or another, and my old World of Darkness campaign had a nightclub that my players frequented. Even a lot of the Battletech/Mechwarrior games I've been involved in have the characters hanging out in one sports bar or another, . . . Wink ("Nightclub floorplan" is a good search for more modern establishments.)
daphnebluestrat
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! I think I'm gonna end up just drawing my own, but I've got much better ideas now than I had before.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one!

http://www.cartographersguild.com/members/jacemachine-albums-jacemachine%27s+game+maps-picture21086-pulpit-cantina-former-church-turned-into-drinkery-design-meant-evoke-mos-eisley-cantina-feel.html

Last edited by cheshire on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just use google image for "star wars bar grid map" and you get a few things.

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphnebluestrat wrote:
Thanks, all! I think I'm gonna end up just drawing my own, but I've got much better ideas now than I had before.

Glad we were able to help!
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my thingies too late, didn't I?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: