The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Expansion of Sense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Expansion of Sense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Expansion of Sense Reply with quote

I've never been quite comfortable with the defined limits of Control and Sense, as there appears to be a gap between their respective domains. Here's their respective definitions from the 2R&E Rulebook:
    Control is the Jedi's ability to control her own body*. A Jedi with control can access her own internal well of Force energy, learning harmony with and mastery over the functions of her own body.

Sense teaches a Jedi to sense the Force in other things beyond her own body*. The Jedi learns to feel the bonds that connect all living things and gains the ability to understand how all things are interconnected. Sense governs powers such as detecting danger and learning information about the world around the Jedi.

*Emphasis Mine.
The impression I get from these two highlighted phrases is that, while a Jedi can sense what's going on around them, and can control their own body's connection to the Force, they can't Sense inside their own bodies. I may be reading too much into the skill titles, but this wouldn't be the first time I've juggled skill names / portfolios to better fit what they actually do.

In short, what I'm thinking of doing is grouping all passive "sensing" of the Force - whether internal or external - under Sense, then having Control cover only active manipulation of the Force in the character's body (which is essentially what it already is, as basically all RAW Control powers involve active manipulation of some form).

Not a huge change, obviously, but it is something that's been on my mind, especially with the introduction of the Force Attribute. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean here.

How would this affect force powers, for example?

My intuition says that control is essentially a combination of sense and alter within the self.

Which force powers would you reassign to sense from control (or vice versa)?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Not sure what you mean here.

How would this affect force powers, for example?
Quote:
Which force powers would you reassign to sense from control (or vice versa)?

I don't really see any extant powers that it would affect, but I do think there's room for homebrew powers that detect illness, which would be a precursor to using more active powers, such as Resist Disease or Detoxify Poison. These powers exist, after all, but some poisons / illnesses are subtle enough that the character wouldn't know that there's a problem for quite some time. It seems intuitive to me that a character who is in touch with the Force on a consistent basis should be able to sense when something is wrong with them.

Quote:
My intuition says that control is essentially a combination of sense and alter within the self.

My take has more to do with the denotations of the words themselves; Control is intrinsically more active, while Sense is decidedly more passive.

As part of our discussions of the Force Attribute, the point was made that certain skills should be learned before others, particularly Sense, since it's logical that a Force Sensitive will start from a place of instinctive awareness of the Force before they learn to actively manipulate it. By making Sense cover passive internal and passive external, it helps subdivide Force skills such that, while a character may have awareness of the Force both within and without, they require additional training to actually make use of it.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.

I always considered control to cover the self-awareness aspect... but I guess I already said that.

For example, a character who had been poisoned, by my interpretation, could roll control to figure out that they had been poisoned.

I could also see danger sense as having some application in this scenario, but it would require GM Fiat, since that is outside what the power does by the exact rules (but I think it's in the spirit of the power, nonetheless).

Now, as for adopting what you're looking at doing, I think that it could work. But I'd expect 99% of difficulties to be in the very easy or easy range. Heck... maybe even let some functions kick in automatically with no roll.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also coincides with my concept of allowing Sense powers to auto-activate (as in, the GM telling the character to roll Sense in cases of things like Danger Sense). The concept is that, rather than treating the Force like a magic spell system, the character is in constant contact with the Force, and some things can be sensed automatically, similar to a GM telling characters to roll Search or Initiative. By grouping everything under Sense, all the "passive activate" abilities would be placed under a single skill.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It also coincides with my concept of allowing Sense powers to auto-activate (as in, the GM telling the character to roll Sense in cases of things like Danger Sense). The concept is that, rather than treating the Force like a magic spell system, the character is in constant contact with the Force, and some things can be sensed automatically, similar to a GM telling characters to roll Search or Initiative. By grouping everything under Sense, all the "passive activate" abilities would be placed under a single skill.

I like the "GM rolls Sense when appropriate."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: