The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What If? Star Wars Campaign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> What If? Star Wars Campaign. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually putting together a game now with a similar situation.

The Players are Rebels and it's 2 years before the Battle of Yavin.

Vader Defeats Obi Wan during their Duel on Mustifar. Padme still dies, but Vader has the twins. Palpatine is aware of Luke and Leia and uses that knowledge as leverage to keep Vader Loyal for now.

Now there are a few ways I can go with this:

A.) Vader Raises his kids and teaches them to use the force as well as leading them to the Dark Side. Eventually, Vader would challenge the Emperor once his children were powerful enough to defend themselves. This sets up a young Luke and Leia as possible Antagonist for the party down the line, say while the party is trying to deal with the First Death Star. Luke and Leia might see each other as Rivals, both for their father's affection (if he has any), and as his future apprentice.

B.) Palpatine keeps the twins as infants, at first merely as hostages, but later he trains them to as The Emperor's hands and they become his brain washed assassins. This can actually pit the players against the Luke and Leia even earlier than in Option A, but also ties Vader's hands up more, because challenging the Emperor would also mean possibly having to fight his own kids. At the same time, Vader would likely see the Emperor as an Enemy. Could lead to a situation down the line where Vader actually turns against the Emperor, or even the empire proper, to take down Palpatine, Might even lead to him secretly reaching out to the Rebel Alliance to accomplish the task.

b.1.) Would Vader even serve the Emperor in this circumstance or would he go into hiding himself and plot his revenge, possibly even from within the Rebel Alliance. Could lead to an avenue of characters being force trained by Anakin who is either redeemed or is still a Dark Jedi. He could even be the mastermind who gets the Rebel Alliance leaders together and cooperating in the first place.

b.2.)If Vader would leave the Empire in this circumstance, the Emperor would certainly be seeking a new apprentice.

Essentially, no matter what, I'm putting the party in a situation where they will be soon be facing the greatest challenges of the Rebellion, but the main characters of the original trilogy will not be there.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds really, really cool, strongarm!!! 8)

Fascinating concepts; I especially like the first option (A).

It always amuses me to consider the "Rule of Two", when the Sith are/were constantly scrambling to have others waiting in the wings. Palpatine alone not only had Vader, but also trained Maul, Dooku, plus the various Emperor's Hands, not to mention he had designs on Luke and Leia...

My campaign is set 2 years BBY too, btw.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with no leia or luke assisting the Rebellion would it even have gotten off the ground as good as it did? Would it have survived to where Yavin was possible?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fan fic that I really liked (Empire's Son by blank101) proposes that Palpatine gets ahold of Luke while he is only 7 or 8 and raises him as a Sith acolyte, while telling Vader that Luke is actually Kenobi's son, while Leia is raised by Obi-wan among the Alliance while teaching her to be a Jedi. So, rather than having them both caught, you could split the difference and have them on opposite sides.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
That sounds really, really cool, strongarm!!! 8)

Fascinating concepts; I especially like the first option (A).

It always amuses me to consider the "Rule of Two", when the Sith are/were constantly scrambling to have others waiting in the wings. Palpatine alone not only had Vader, but also trained Maul, Dooku, plus the various Emperor's Hands, not to mention he had designs on Luke and Leia...

My campaign is set 2 years BBY too, btw.

I was originally leaning towards A, but option B has potential if I counted some of the events of Force Unleashed as being partially canon. Only rather than betraying Starkiller when the treaty of Coreillia happens, they aren't interfered with at all.

But I'm not sure if I'd really want to draw on Force Unleashed or not.

garhkal wrote:
Well with no leia or luke assisting the Rebellion would it even have gotten off the ground as good as it did? Would it have survived to where Yavin was possible?

That's a good question, and one I hope to explore. With no Luke and Leia, and no Obi Wan Kenobi, the Death Star plans have never been given to Leia. A good opertunity for the players to step in.

As it so happens a Bothan spy was pleading for his life with the Emperor when he gave up that Tantive IV was carrying the Death Star plans, and he knew the ship was going to Tatooine. But clearly the spy didn't know where the Rebel Alliance high command was located or else the Death Star would have simply gone to Yavin and blown it up while Vader hunted down Leia and focused on retrieving the plans.

So if the plans were instead carried directly to Yavin, the Rebels could spend more time analysing the Death Star plans safely and come up with a better plan for destroying it.

At the same time, with no leads to go on, the the Death Star on a grand tour of the galaxy blowing up planets with ties to the Rebellion.

crmcneill wrote:
A fan fic that I really liked (Empire's Son by blank101) proposes that Palpatine gets ahold of Luke while he is only 7 or 8 and raises him as a Sith acolyte, while telling Vader that Luke is actually Kenobi's son, while Leia is raised by Obi-wan among the Alliance while teaching her to be a Jedi. So, rather than having them both caught, you could split the difference and have them on opposite sides.

I'll have to check that out!

I do like Luke and Leia not being around though because I can center the primary action of Rebellion around the party itself.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though with no luke flying red 5, would the death star get destroyed?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Though with no luke flying red 5, would the death star get destroyed?

Depends if there was someone else to take his place. If Leia gets trained as a Jedi, she could make the run in his place.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a PC could. I imagine spending a Force point at the appropriate moment for the "big shot". 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that would suck big time if they still bomb their roll! Twisted Evil
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much can go wrong right? Twisted Evil

It's always more fum when things don't work out. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Played out an adventure where the rebels were supposed to steal data and acquire one of the prototype interceptors. 2 of the super techs started downloading the data, but were arguing about inconsistencies, errors and planning mistakes.. THEN went in and corrected the imps design (which made it actually work better). And when they stole the prototype, they crashed it near an imp base, so their sensor data corroborated what the 2 techs wrote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: