The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reducing Rolls for Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Reducing Rolls for Force Powers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reducing Rolls for Force Powers Reply with quote

Hey folks. I haven't been around in a while, but I'm wanting to dabble in the fun of Star Wars again.

I've been pondering a way to reduce the number of rolls needed to perform the various Force powers used in the game. I haven't done an extensive search of the forums to see if anyone has had a similar idea, and I'm thinking off the cuff here, so bare with me.

A typical Force user must make up to three rolls for certain powers (one for Control, Sense, and Alter). Some consider that it's perfectly understandable to have the player make these rolls while the other players are making theirs for combat/non-combat actions, and I can see that. However, I like to keep the action rolling, and would like to have things expedited. Here's my idea:

Let's look at Jo Smophus, a Padawan with Control: 3D+1, Sense: 2D+2, and Alter: 1D+2. Jo wants to "turn on" Lightsaber Combat, which requires a Moderate (avg Diff 13) Control roll, and an Easy (avg Diff 8.) Sense roll. Now, you can be a good GM and give the player a Control Diff on the low end of the spectrum (11), and Sense at (6).

Now, if you are wanting to keep the flow going, would it be feasible to total up the Difficulties for the power (11+6=17) and have the player roll the total of their Control and Sense abilities, minus a MAP for multiple skill use? It would be 5D+3 minus 1D for the MAP, for a total of 4D+3. It would still make the chance to get the power working kind of a squeaker, but you'd get the rolls out of the way quicker.

Let's look on the higher side of the Force. Darth Maul (C: 7D+1, S: 8D+1, A: 7D+1) is fighting Qui Gon (C: 10D+1, S: 13D+2, A: 9D+1), and decides to pull one of his telekinetic pushes to the Jedi's face (Projected Fighting). The difficulties for the power are C: Difficult (avg. 18.), S: Difficult (avg. 18.), A: Moderate (avg. 13, modified by proximity; line of sight +2 for a total of 15). Adding the difficulties together gives us a whopping 51! Now, that seems crazy, yes? Well, now we add up Darth Maul's Force ability dice for a total of 22D+3 (minus 2D for MAPs, or 20D+3). Just rolling 16D on my computer's dice roller keeps giving me an average in the 60s, even with an occasional 1 on the Wild Die. This says that it is a simple task for Maul, and that is reflected in the movie during the Duel.

So, to keep a game moving, to keep the heat of the moment HOT! Would it not be prudent to use this method of rolling for Force powers?

Last edited by Jamfke on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like this idea a lot. It woul make the action faster and you get to do your stuff earlier without giving you too much of an advantage thanks to the MAP, AND your overall knowledge of the force would be important.

Thumbs up from me Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it reduces the # of rolls, you are not really changing things much. Plus it also makes it seem easier imo to get powers up and running.. just keep bumping up ONE of the 2 (or 3) force skills needed for said power (so if you wanted to get LS combat up, just keep bumping sense only, so its cheaper.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it the other way around?
Only bumping Sense would cost much more then advancing in both sense and control. While you have to pay like 5 CP to advance sense from 5D to 5D+1, you only need to pay 2 CP for Control from 2D to 2D+1. So you get 2 1/2 pips for the same amount of CP when you don't only bump sense in this case.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such approach makes multi-force-skill powers easier to use because there's only one MAP (in RAW each roll has it's own MAP).
Let's take LSC as an example: having C:4D, S:3D and wanting to activate power in one round you have to declare two actions and roll both C and S with MAP (3D and 2D accordingly, giving 5D in total). With rules you proposed you roll 4D+3D-1D=6D (total MAP is 1D vs. 2D). Difference is even bigger if power is using all three skills (-2D vs. -6D). Not sure if it's the effect you wanted to achieve.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Hel, I'd go as far as to say I love it. Genius, Jamfke, pure genius.

Tupteq wrote:
Such approach makes multi-force-skill powers easier to use because there's only one MAP (in RAW each roll has it's own MAP).
(...)
Not sure if it's the effect you wanted to achieve.

It seems that's easily remedied by applying the sum of all MAPs you'd normally get to the single roll.
- Tom Lehrer
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reducing Rolls for Force Powers Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Hey folks. I haven't been around in a while, but I'm wanting to dabble in the fun of Star Wars again.

You and me both! Very Happy

I like your approach, but if and when I get to run a game again that involves force powers, I will probably simplify everything a LOT more, along the lines of what I have tested for d6 Fantasy games. I'd shift to a more free-form "describe what you want to do" system, and change the multiple skill powers to each be a single skill (with increasing difficulties).

When I've run d6 Fantasy, I've made more powerful spells have a CP requirement. I don't use anything like "force"/"fate" dice, so I haven't thought through how I'd translaate that to SWRPG. Spending a force die for a force power is obviously too much and messes up the utility of that system for non-force using characters. Even a CP requirement might be too much, maybe just a feedback/fatigue type mechanic.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought:

When making such a combined roll, shouldn't we roll not one but two or three Wild Dice, depending on the number of skills combined?
- Tom Lehrer
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
I actually like this idea a lot. It woul make the action faster and you get to do your stuff earlier without giving you too much of an advantage thanks to the MAP, AND your overall knowledge of the force would be important.

Thumbs up from me Smile

Thanks!

garhkal wrote:
While it reduces the # of rolls, you are not really changing things much. Plus it also makes it seem easier imo to get powers up and running.. just keep bumping up ONE of the 2 (or 3) force skills needed for said power (so if you wanted to get LS combat up, just keep bumping sense only, so its cheaper.

Well that would be a bit of a problem. Of course, if you held to the advancement rules in the book, unless the character has access to a teacher or some form of training device (holocron), then the cost to raise a Force skill is doubled. So the 2D to 2D+1 raise in Control would actually cost 4 CPs instead of 2. You can limit that further by following the basic skill rules that say a character can only increase a skill by 1 pip per adventure. I've waived that rule from time to time, but in this case I'd probably enforce it.

Leon The Lion wrote:

Tupteq wrote:
(...)
Not sure if it's the effect you wanted to achieve.

It seems that's easily remedied by applying the sum of all MAPs you'd normally get to the single roll.

Didn't think of that. Leon The Lion seems to have figured that one out though. I like that.

Leon The Lion wrote:
I just thought:

When making such a combined roll, shouldn't we roll not one but two or three Wild Dice, depending on the number of skills combined?

That sounds reasonable too, let's add that to the equation!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just still seems to me like yet another way to bump up the power of jedis over everyone else (since no one else has any 2 skill use powers etc)..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, too (and welcome back, Jamfke!) 8)

I was just thinking that one plus to this is that it does away with so many chances for failure (by eliminating the number of Wild Die rolls), though it also would reduce the number of extraordinary successes one could get (by rolling 6's), too.

I think I actually like that, so might test this out with only a single Wild Die. Makes things faster and more streamlined. Why get bogged down, waiting for someone to roll so many dice? (our Jedi often ends up rolling ahead of time, since it takes so long for him to pull off all his Force rolls).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself leaning more toward the flat value rules in the back of D6 Space. I would use the Wild-Die-only method when making a single roll, then use the 5D method for making multiple rolls or rolls in distracted situations.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently starting up a dark side campaign over at my forums. I'll be giving this a try.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've tried this a bit and it seems to work well, FWIW.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has for us too so far. I'm only using it in the Play by Post game I'm running over at my own site, but I haven't seen any issues with it yet. We'll see how things stack up when there is a lot more Force slingin' taking place...soon...(Skyler, you didn't read this)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: