The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

coordinated fire from massed enemies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> coordinated fire from massed enemies Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjawhite
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: coordinated fire from massed enemies Reply with quote

greetings.

in the star wars miniatures game, there is a rule for coordinated fire. battle droids, which are weak, can coordinate their fire to get an attack bonus. this bonus is granted in exchange for less attacks. without coordinated fire, the battle droids have little chance of ever shooting another mini. with the use of coordinated fire, a legion of battle droids is deadly.

in star wars d6, is there a coordinated fire rule? lets say a PC is facing a team of stormtroopers. if the PC has a dodge of 4d6, he has a good chance to avoid all of heir blaster attacks because they're only 3d6.

seems to me it would be tougher to dodge a hail of blaster bolts than the shot fired by one storm trooper.

comments? advice?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's a coordination chart that allows two or more people to coordinate an activity, and attacking is one of them. I don't recall the chart and am away from my books, but I use a binary increase for each added person (+1 person = +1d, +2 people = +2d, +4 people = +3d, +8 people = 4d etc.)
bigjawhite
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so six stormtroopers would have one attack at 8d6? wow. that makes them much more fearsome.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2R&E rules make it even simpler; just add a pip for every person shooting.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official rules from 2nd ed. R&E say that you have +1 pip for each person. But I'm using rule identical to jmanski's, where you get +1D for doubled number of persons engaged (2, 4, 8, 16 etc.).

The other thing is the command roll needed to properly coordinate action.
bigjawhite
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tupteq:

i have '87 star wars core rules. not familiar with a command roll. how does it work? what are the target nmbers?
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjawhite wrote:
i have '87 star wars core rules. not familiar with a command roll. how does it work? what are the target nmbers?

You need to make a roll of command skill (under Perception attribute). Description of combined actions is quite long (more than one full page). But I think here is rewritten almost identical to original (from what I see only names in examples are changed).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official rules for Command skill rolls have always been in need of an update. Right now, it isn't useful for much beyond commanding a small squad, but with the appropriate modifier chart, it could be so much more...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjawhite wrote:
tupteq:

The roll is based on 2 things.
1) the # of people being commanded (with a max limit of 1 person per full D in command, so only have 4d+2 command, can by the rules only in normal situations, command 4 people).. This CAN be ignored for well trained people used to one another (storm troopers!!)
2) the average skill of those being commanded.

So lets say i have 8 people i wanted to combine fire on say an AT-AT..
One has blaster 5d, one 8d, two at 5d+2, one only uses his dex (2d+2), 2 at 4d and one at 10d. Convert it all to pips (5d=15, 8d=24, 5d+2=17, 2d+2=8, 10d=30 and 4d=12 for a total of 113. Divide that by 8 for a total of 14 pips, which equates to 4d+2 average. Looking at the chart (THIS IS AN EXAMPLE) 4d to 5d average for 8 people requires a difficult roll to coordinate. If i roll my command and hit 16-20 (depending on what the DM sets), the HIGHEST to hit score adds 4d to hit, and if hits rolls +4d damage.

Depending on which book you use though, it may only be a set bonus that YOU pick either to hit or damage its added to.
bigjawhite
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the command and the coordinated attack occur on the same segment?
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjawhite wrote:

Not sure what the segment is, in SW D6 there are combat rounds where all action occurs. Command roll precedes attack, but both command and attack are performed simultaneously. The consequence of this fact is that if commanding person also participates in attack, his command roll is reduced by -1D due to multiple actions penalty.

If you are not familiar with SW D6 mechanics, you may take a look at wiki I linked in my previous post, where all mechanics is rewritten from SW RPG book.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjawhite wrote:

Yes.
Init roll pcs- 11
init roll npc storm trooper squad officer, 10.
Pc's win.
PC1 decides to do 2 actions
Pc 2-4 do 1 action each,
Pc 5 declares 3 actions

Dm decides the officer will do 2 actions, and the troopers 1 each.

Pcs all take their first action.
Stormtrooper officer's first action is to co-ordinate his troops. he rolls his command (minus 1d for doing 2 actions).
If that roll succeeds the troopers all shot as one at pc #2 (the wookie!)
IF NOT they still shoot at their regular score.

Npcs are now done bar the officer who had 2 actions declared.

Pc 1 and 5 each now take their 2nd declared action, which is to shoot at the officer (they don't like he commanded his troops for combined fire), officer now uses his 2nd declared action for his dodge.
Galadrin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Rules Companion for 1st Edition, each "assisting" character in a combined effort (any skill test, including shooting) adds +1 pip for every die in their relevant skill (bonuses are ignored). Thus 11 Stormtroopers with Blasters 3D+1 would roll 3D+31 in combined fire.* Note, there is no need of Command roles in 1st Edition combined actions. If they took two actions, then the attack would only be 2D+21. Still, I think I prefer if extra "assisting" characters somehow added dice instead of just pips. I might go with jmanski's solution, although it'd be great if there was a way to account for skill in this as well!

*3D+31 may seem very high, but keep in mind 1st Edition characters added their Dodge reaction roll to the difficulty number, meaning a character taking fire from long range might roll 23 and increase the difficulty number to 43.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another refugee from Dragonsfoot! Smile Haven't seen that username in a while.

crmcneill wrote:
The official rules for Command skill rolls have always been in need of an update. Right now, it isn't useful for much beyond commanding a small squad, but with the appropriate modifier chart, it could be so much more...

I think it makes sense as a "squad leader" type of skill. Are you thinking about something like a D&D bard sort of "rally the troops" effect? Might be kind of interesting.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as a military brat its not really a full on squad you are commanding.
It breaks down like this
Platoon leader commands 3-4 squad leaders.
Squad leaders command 3 fire team leaders and their grenadier.
Each fire team leader commands the 3 members of his fire team.
So at most via the 2e rules each officer needs 4d in command to successfully command the group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: