The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zombies in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Zombies in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Interesting. I'll keep those in mind if I do it again.
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of the Dark Side Zombies and the Dark side Spirit making the zombies and controlling them
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend gave me the idea. He'd been researching the Sith and read that some Sith lords created them to use as tome guardians and servants. The zombies could still be standing around in the tombs thousands of years later. Very egyptian sounding when you consider their use of pyramid shapes.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
You should check out World War Z (the book, not the movie) for some in-depth information on possible quirks for zombies. A couple of the more interesting ones in the book: zombies freeze in extremely cold temperatures, but thaw out and reanimate when things warm up, and since they have no need to breathe, they function quite well on ocean floors...

What about the effect of atmospheric pressure crushing them ...

That said, I like the idea of not breathing having no effect, and then cold 'freezing them. I can picture an old abandoned ship with no life support (thus cold) having the zombies inactive, floating around in the ship. Then when the party, ordered to recover the derelict ship, heats the ship up by powering up the life support (or moves the bodies onto their own ship) then they come back 'alive'.

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Well, in the book, the chapter that dealt with underwater zombies took place at a depth of over 1,000 feet, yet the zombies appeared unaffected. No real explanation was offered.

Quote:
That said, I like the idea of not breathing having no effect, and then cold 'freezing them. I can picture an old abandoned ship with no life support (thus cold) having the zombies inactive, floating around in the ship. Then when the party, ordered to recover the derelict ship, heats the ship up by powering up the life support (or moves the bodies onto their own ship) then they come back 'alive'.
Nice one. I'll have to remember that.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Quote:

Cool. The pc's would think that they were just dead bodies. Maybe I'll use this sometime...
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
You should check out World War Z (the book, not the movie) for some in-depth information on possible quirks for zombies. A couple of the more interesting ones in the book: zombies freeze in extremely cold temperatures, but thaw out and reanimate when things warm up, and since they have no need to breathe, they function quite well on ocean floors...

Ugh...World War Z the book written by the guy who states that artillery is not effective against a zombie horde because it won't damage the brain. Hint air-burst fragmentation, there's a reason that the helmet was the first piece of body armor reintroduced to modern warfare. not to mention over pressure effects. Of course he also claims that the purpose of shuriken is to pierce skulls.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe his statement was not that artillery couldn't affect a zombie horde, but that it wasn't effective enough. Anything other than a piece of shrapnel straight through the brain will not kill a zombie. Even blowing limbs off just slows them down. Plus, the fact that zombies can still function under several thousand feet of water indicates that whatever chemical changes the zombie virus makes to the brain make it less susceptible to pressure effects.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Well, in the book, the chapter that dealt with underwater zombies took place at a depth of over 1,000 feet, yet the zombies appeared unaffected. No real explanation was offered.

Quote:

Plus, the fact that zombies can still function under several thousand feet of water indicates that whatever chemical changes the zombie virus makes to the brain make it less susceptible to pressure effects.

Ok, part of me wants to scream at how of base (science & physics wise) that stuff is … However, as we are talking about 'living dead' in a universe that has FTL travel, swords of light, ships that track with flight characteristics in the void of space, I'll suspend that little bit of reality.

crmcneill wrote:

Quote:

Nice one. I'll have to remember that.

Lane Arroway wrote:

Cool. The pc's would think that they were just dead bodies. Maybe I'll use this sometime...

Thanks, that idea is especially evil and twisted. Usually, I'm not that clever … It all came together because Sunday night my wife and I finally watched 'Gravity', so the idea of dead people floating around in a ship (the crew in the shuttle) frozen was fresh in my mind. Mix that with crmcneill's comment about cold slowing and freezing zombies, but not killing them, and wah-lah you have a great seed for a twisted adventure.

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Ok, part of me wants to scream at how of base (science & physics wise) that stuff is … However, as we are talking about 'living dead' in a universe that has FTL travel, swords of light, ships that track with flight characteristics in the void of space, I'll suspend that little bit of reality.

Oddly enough, the characters in the World War Z book asked similar questions, wondering why it was that zombies managed to survive in such extreme conditions, yet had no answers. I imagine its rather difficult to perform detailed research on something that will continually try to bite you.

Also, with regards to the ships that track with flight characteristics in zero-g, I finally came up with a satisfactory answer. It's a little off subject, so I'll open it up in a new topic.

Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The couple of times it happened in my campaign universe, it was a darkside version of the power 'transfer force' which allowed for the darkside to summon back shades of living beings.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our sparks group, we have had zombies show up twice. Both the result of Sith alchemical experimentation.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump on account of the additional Zombie possibility from The Last Of Us setting, with a fungal-based zombie. Any fans of that series have thoughts?

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Giving this a bump on account of the additional Zombie possibility from The Last Of Us setting, with a fungal-based zombie. Any fans of that series have thoughts?

I belive there is some "force sentiive" goo thing that creates sort of Zombies that can be compared to that of the last of us fungus......Mgnggal-Mnggal

I also like the Blackwing, and the SWTOR Rhakghoul thing, with these ghouls being very much like Zombies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: