The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

NPC Backgrounds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> NPC Backgrounds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: NPC Backgrounds Reply with quote

Not sure if this belongs in the Gamemaster section or here, but I'm going with here since it's still characters even if they are NPCs. Anyway, I've recently been working on some new NPCs and when I got done with the most recent one, I realized I'd given them a background which covers a page and a half. And another their background is just over three quarters of a page in length. Looking back on things, I've realized that I really seem to give my NPCs rather lengthy backgrounds.

Just wondering if anyone else out there tends to do the same thing or if you give them some basic background and then add on to it as their used in adventures.

Wanted Poster
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally give them a very extensive background... but I almost never write it down... for if it were to fall into the wrong hands...

"Just start killing bothans, I'll tell you when to stop..."

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my important NPCs have from one or two pages of back ground depending on how big a role they are going to play in an adventure. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If the NPC is going to be a major player in my adventures/campaigns I tend to come up with more extensive backgrounds. I think it helps you determine how to play them more realistically.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what happens when you're doing that and you don't have an adventure in mind to use the characters in? As I've said before I've only been able to run a few adventures since getting involved with Star Wars RPG, and all of them were before '99. Since then my only real involvement in it has been to keep creating material that someone might be able to us in their games. So is it a bit strange to be developing such detailed backgrounds for characters who do not have a specific adventure for which they were designed?

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually create huge backgrounds for NPCs. A few short quick characterizing statements are usually fine for me. Stuff like:

Kolgath Ur
Description: Red-hued trandoshan with cold black eyes and a raspy voice. Does not speak basic. Dresses in functional, battle-ready clothes.
Capsule Summary: Leader of the Entoran military junta that just seized control of the system. Tough but fair leader with something to hide.
Personality: Pressed for time, to-the-point, dismissive. Laughs at inappropriately cruel comments but is otherwise humourless. Despite this, he rarely acts rashly and listens more than he gives the impression of.
Relationships: Actually started the uprising for Moff Qaulay and is now worried that no Imperial fleet is coming to save the day. Has few advisors, many mistresses, no wives, and few children.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: