The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do you guys use the tactics skill for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> What do you guys use the tactics skill for? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
I disagree with the kind of bonus Volar gives, but I agree with the hows and whys and would give similar circumstantial bonuses in the form of target modifiers for gaining a tactical advantage.

Hows about this for a few ideas..

Planning out the best possible ambush site (IMO tactics all the way).. Make a moderate roll on the tactics, and add 1d to everyones sneak roll, to avoid being detected.

Planning out a raid on that imp base. Difficult roll gives them 2 of the better ways in, their choice of which they take.

Defending a base against imperials (or pirates). Difficult roll gives them +1d for their search (or perception skills) while on guard duty to notice the enemy sneaking up to the base.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garhkal has the right idea. Plus, you need to remember that taking time to plan often allows for an extra D to be rolled with your skill- like taking a round to aim. If they take the time to LOOK at the target area, they're going to be more likely to spot advantageous routes of ingress that they'd be likely to miss if going in by the seats of their pants.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One critical element of role playing is that we, as players or GMs, are taking on a Role that we ourselves may not have the knowledge, skill, or expertise to undertake. I feel, in this spirit, certain skills shoul dbe aloud to augment a players inability or lack of knowledge. Tactics, is one such skill. While as GMs, most of us deplore simply having players announce "I have the X skill at XD, so I use it" especially with con, bargain, or something like tactics. However, when it comes to skills like Medicine, or Starship repair, we have no problems simply making the rolls, and filling in the player on the blanks...why is that?

For a skill like tactics, I will often allow a player a roll of the skill to give "hints" as to good tactical descisions. The better the players roll, the better the hints. I might reveal that there is a weakened right flank that could easily be exploited by a raid, or that the security fence over looks a stream running beneath it, etc... This is to help push them along.

Certainly, for NPCs, the tactics skill should reflect their ability of deploying, using, and exploiting the resources under their command.

Even so, as others have said, Tactics is one of those tricky skills.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is. As an example i have seen of the 'wrong use'... i had a gm back in norfolk who gave out hints in a fashion that it was not a hint (or what most sane people would consider one). It was practically coming flat out and telling them DO this to win....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yes it is. As an example i have seen of the 'wrong use'... i had a gm back in norfolk who gave out hints in a fashion that it was not a hint (or what most sane people would consider one). It was practically coming flat out and telling them DO this to win....

And THAT is the kind of game I hate to play. Sure I want to win- who doesn't? But I also want to WORK for it and actually DEVELOP my character, not have everything handed to me on a silver platter.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:

And THAT is the kind of game I hate to play. Sure I want to win- who doesn't? But I also want to WORK for it and actually DEVELOP my character, not have everything handed to me on a silver platter.

Alas, if only all players felt that way *sigh*. Even so, sometimes the players do get themselves hung up, or are just missing the obvious, and for less than critical points, it can be useful to default to a skill roll. Also, sometimes, skill rolls come in handy for speeding along the action. For example:
Players announce they are scouting the battlefield and planning and preparing, and want to know everything that can be used to their advantage. I call for a Tactics skill roll, as this skill will determine the full extent of insight they might have to make use of terrain. Then, based on the roll I will give them more or fewer options based on the terrain.
The Smuggler announces he's looking around for a weaponsmith as he wants to make some less than legal modifications to his blaster. He announces he's dropping hints and credits at likely weapons shops, seedy cantinas, etc... I call for a Streetwise roll. Based on the roll will determine how successful his endeavor is, and possibly the quality of the weapons smith.

Just a few examples.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it, Kage! And I would certainly hope that if the character's Streetwise, Tactical, or whatever skills aren't up to snuff, they'd have the common sense to ask others in their party who might be more skilled than they themselves are. Plus, if the characters put their heads together, they might be able to come up with more pleasant results. Two heads ARE better than one...
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here is how i would use tactics, based upon several other game systems i use to play.

The first and "non-combat" use of tactics would be granting hints, especially for good ambush places. The bonus of a succesfull roll would be, as we are always playing with miniatures, a good setup advantage at the start of combat. I would seldom grant a dice bonus or a hint to vulnerable areas of an opponent. I prefer knowledge skills like starship repair or animal lore to give such bonusses.

The second and "in-combat" use would give an advantage to initiative. If one of the characters is giving tactical advice this roll substitutes the perception roll for group initiative. The characters therefore have more options and can react faster (or slower). I think it would take a roll every round, being one action, complete with MAP for the rolling character.

Imho this could be a good way to put less combat-oriented characters to use in combat situations. They could even command some of the characters for further advantage.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that initiave modding side to it. THough it would fall under a new advance skill i have adapted from someone else.... THey called it tactical awareness. Unlike reg advance skills, it had no prereqs, started out at 1d LOWER than your perception, and was 3X the cost rather than 2x to raise... And you also had seperate ones for ground combat space combat etc. It took the place of perception for intiiave.......
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like that initiave modding side to it. THough it would fall under a new advance skill i have adapted from someone else.... THey called it tactical awareness. Unlike reg advance skills, it had no prereqs, started out at 1d LOWER than your perception, and was 3X the cost rather than 2x to raise... And you also had seperate ones for ground combat space combat etc. It took the place of perception for intiiave.......

I achieved a similar effect with a skill called Combat Sense that I borrowed from the Silouhette game line. It was an advanced skill that added directly to initiative, and reflected training and experience under fire. It required at least 2 combat skills to be at 5D. As with all advanced skills it started at 0D, must be first purchased at a full 1D, and cost double to increase.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I achieved a similar effect with a skill called Combat Sense that I borrowed from the Silouhette game line. It was an advanced skill that added directly to initiative, and reflected training and experience under fire. It required at least 2 combat skills to be at 5D. As with all advanced skills it started at 0D, must be first purchased at a full 1D, and cost double to increase.

I like that, Kage! Kinda like a martial artist can develop a Blind Fighting skill through extensive blindfolded training- gives them a good situational awareness regardless of visibility.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:

Now, would I be correct in assuming you put that skill under Perception?
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this. take a look.

http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/dark/791tactic.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it. Got an error message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: