The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do you guys use the tactics skill for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> What do you guys use the tactics skill for? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. I found it at Commander Skywalker's SW RPG post under misc. stuff.

http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/dark/791/index.htm

still trying to understand how to work this darn thing (my puter).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's alright. Patience, Grasshopper!

Not a bad little write-up on tactics. There are more facets that could be included, but it's not bad for someone who wants to start using Tactics properly...
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. though the second link worked...

Not bad... Wonder if those rules work, or make things more hectic... especially since most of the time i see tactics rolled are for when i do them with NPCS...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one way to find out... You'll have to use them in your own game. What works for someone else might not work for you... Let us know how it goes for ya.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest with you I have no idea. Only had one character have the tactics skill and it was mine. I got it in case I needed it. I have a lot of useless skills, such as culinary arts , etc.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's why I like the idea of only having skills that would actually be relevant to your character. Now, if you have a character that's kinda eccentric, then it would be reasonable for him to have a bunch of wacky skills (like if he's been a dillettante or something.) I find that off-the-wall skills like that are usually best for comic relief, sometimes warranting the awarding of extra CPs for good roleplaying.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that almost all of the shills he has are relevant. Usually for getting away & things such as that. But a few are for attacks too.

Example: hiding a poison in food so it is not detectable (culinary arts).
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now that's almost plausible... For the stickler GM, you'd want to make sure your character also has either the Poisons skill, a Medicine or Chemistry skill to be able to justify to the GM, "Why, yes, in fact I DO know that this broasted nerf medallion with pickleberry sauce will completely cover up the taste of this Toydarian Stinger Root extract I'm putting in there..."

Catch my drift?

In another forum we've discussed the use of poisons/sedatives, and introducing them in different ways. It was argued quite adamantly that one of the above skills (some or all of them being Advanced, by the way) would be required for successful mucking about with poisons. Poisons, of course, in this case are being defined somewhat loosely as "anything that will completely screw up your insides to the point of causing severe nausea, diarrhea, or death." This could be applied to someone with Medicine, because they'd know how much of a certain drug would be required to cause an overdose, and could be substituted for an actual poison.

But yeah, it'd be real handy in that case to also have the Culinary Arts skill... so you'd be able to counter the tastes and cover it up from detection.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always a use for any skill in the book Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much.

I guess I'm just reflecting a little maturity in my gaming (yeah, oxymoron and all, I know...) I used to want to just have every skill in the book and THEN some on my character sheet. I mean, if they're gonna include em, they must be important, right? These days I'm more into making sure my character is as realistic as possible. If there's no reason why my character would know how to create flechette mines, then his character sheet isn't going to say Flechette Mine Technology on it.

But I DO like the idea of having some wacked out skills on a sheet now and again. As I said, it allows for MASS comic relief. And a happy GM is often a generous GM... 8)
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or maybe it's if you can keep the GM too busy holding his sides because he's laughing so hard at your character's antics, he'll be too busy to dock you CPs for some of the boneheaded stuff you try to pull...

Either way, it works for me!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Now, would I be correct in assuming you put that skill under Perception?

Advanced skills don't actually belong "under" and attribute, as they start at 0D, IMHO. But, yes, it would be a perception relevant skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Though the prerequisits for the skill, were:

Ground tactical awareness. 2 of the combat skills (blaster, missile weapon, firearm, bow, archaic weapons, vehicular blaster) at 5d.
Atmospheric tactical awareness: Both piloting (whether repulsorlift ops, or freighter/fighter piloting) and gunnery (vehicular blasters, or starfighter gunnery) at 5d.
Space tactical awareness: As with atmospheric..though repulsorlift ops and vehicular blasters are out..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: