The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do you guys use the tactics skill for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> What do you guys use the tactics skill for? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players are tactically inept, so the skill is for me forwarning them before shooting themselves in the foot, particularly when the character knows better.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
My players are tactically inept, so the skill is for me forwarning them before shooting themselves in the foot, particularly when the character knows better.

Always a good use for the Tactics skill Laughing or the equally little used Common Sense skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What attribute would that common sense skill be under?? 8) Confused Very Happy Wink Wink
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that it does not belong under a physical attribute, so STR & DEX are out. The others.....................
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Admiral Andersen
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Tacyics Reply with quote

I sometimes use the Tactics skill to give my players some information when they plan an attack or something similar. The higher the roll, the more information.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you ask them to roll, or do you wait till they think of it, first?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I'd go ahead and give them a small piece of information or two- it'd depend on the characters. If there's a military-trained character in the mix, they're going to naturally have a better grasp on tactics than the average joe. There would be situations that lined up with field problems they'd been on, or lessons they'd been taught in training, whatever.

And I wouldn't make these BIG things, either. Just small nuances about the current situation that pop to their trained eye. At that point, they'd either tell me they want to make a Tactics roll, and I'd give them whatever info they'd earned, or they'd not tell me that, and we'd just go from there.

I personally ALWAYS take it as a prompt for a roll of some kind whenever the GM gives me a tidbit of information. It usually means there's a LOT more to be gleaned, if one would simply roll the dice...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As would many. Though one would have to ask, would they bother with the skill if you did not 'drop the tip' first??
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the smarter of us (or at least those who can be taught, anyway) will eventually come to realize that they can, at any time, tell the GM that they're going to roll Tactics to see if they can determine the best place to set up an ambush, or roll Search to see if they can detect a trap, etc. Those who can learn, will. Those who can't will forever expect the GM to just pass out tips and hints, thus turning him into a cheat code book rather than storyteller. Of these imbeciles, those with a good GM will see to it that they're constantly having to create new characters because they keep getting vaped. Maybe sometime down the line they'll finally wise up. Maybe they'll just move on to a different gaming group. Either way, I'd say the group as a whole wins.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Einh. I'm not going to begrudge them simply because theyre not good with strategy or tactics- some people just don't have that 'general's sense' so to speak. That's no reason to penalize them unduly- It is a role-playing game, and the skill is there to represent that their characters know tactics. I wouldnt expect someone with a high scholar:chemistry to know actual chemistry, nor repair to know how to repair a space transport.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
Einh. I'm not going to begrudge them simply because theyre not good with strategy or tactics- some people just don't have that 'general's sense' so to speak. That's no reason to penalize them unduly- It is a role-playing game, and the skill is there to represent that their characters know tactics. I wouldnt expect someone with a high scholar:chemistry to know actual chemistry, nor repair to know how to repair a space transport.

I feel like Skyler, here. I don't think it is punishing them, if they consistently have to rely on you 'dropping a hint' for them to realise they can use a skill. If they don't get it, i would be highly inclined to stop dropping those hints. Like i am when i run combat. For a few games, i go easy on those new to the game. But once they are no longer new, i don't go easy...
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if they put points into the skill, why begrudge them? They're paying the penalty by not putting those points into other skills that could be more useful.

Frankly I'd prefer it if they put more points into tactics and other such skills and ask for hints instead of trying to make uber 8d6 blaster characters.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if they are putting points in that skill it should be on "their shoulders" to activate it, not yours.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I like to take a bit of a happy medium. Once I've shown them a couple times that this is quite a useful skill, I'd start letting them ask for a roll rather than just dropping the hint. It's a learning process to be sure... and if they steadfastly refused to ask for such a roll, I might talk to them separately and explain that they have that option and that right. Perhaps the player is just a bit more dense than the character is, and needs a little extra prodding.

But if I've gone there, the hints are done. It's up to them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. My misunderstanding... i was percieving that you gave it to them regardless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: