The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace Pulsemass Generators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Hyperspace Pulsemass Generators Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so perhaps have damage as from Hull+1D to Hull+6D?

So it's varied but still based upon the ship's hull, allowing for a varying intensity?

T.C.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Declared by the gunner before he fires.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
It could be used in pairs with Interdictors, hitting the ship with damage just before it hits the projected gravity well and drops into realspace badly damaged.

Would the Interdictor actually be necessary? I was always under the impresion that if you crashed into a mass shadow in hyperspace, you automatically dropped back into realspace (what was left of you anyway), either because that's just how the "physics" of it works, or else as a safety measure on the hyperdrive. Or is that wrong?
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, certain questions about what hyperdrives do in certain situations have never been answered officially. However, gravity well projectors trick a ship 's hyperdrive into thinking the ship is rapidly approaching a large mass in realspace, automatically disengaging the hyperdrive. Pulsemass generators, on the other hand, do not appear to trigger the drive cut off; they inflict impact damage instead.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. A ship's safeties automatically force the hyperdrive to cut out when a mass shadow is detected. But if those cut-outs are not engaged (damaged, removed etc) then the ship is going to take damage as it hits the mass.
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few ideas of this sort of thing floating around the net. Such as the fanon Abolisher-class Cruiser or the Tie Fighter Hangar Bay's Destructor-class Cruiser.

I've always wondered just exactly how the targeting would work, wondering if it's a limited factor in the ship's deployment (as in, the exact route would have to been known in all three axial coordinates) as well as the time (if it is an energy intensive weapon).

Leon The Lion wrote:

Would the Interdictor actually be necessary? I was always under the impresion that if you crashed into a mass shadow in hyperspace, you automatically dropped back into realspace (what was left of you anyway), either because that's just how the "physics" of it works, or else as a safety measure on the hyperdrive. Or is that wrong?

Random sidenote, if this weapon does hit a starship's hyperdrive while the ship is in hyperspace, the target ship is basically screwed, as without a functioning hyperdrive, the starship forever remains in hyperspace (as per Sil Sorannan in Tyrant's Test).[/url]

EDIT: I suppose targetting could maybe be improved with something like Orbital Long Range scanners. But it sounds like it would still need a bit of a set up time...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methedor wrote:
Thanks for the write up! I think I'll adapt this as a "Darkstryder Array System" in my Trilogy.

Are you talking about my write-up for the Observer or for the Pulsemass Generator? Either way, feel free.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion has brought up some questions regarding how hyperspace affects physical objects from realspace, as there seem to be some definite contradictions in the official material (surprise, surprise). Here's what I gleaned from my research...

1). According to Brian Daley, hyperspace is supremely harmful to physical objects from realspace, and ships in hyperspace require a hyperspace energy field that protects the ship from direct contact with the substance of hyperspace. This field projects a meter or so from the surface of a space transport-sized vessel like the Millennium Falcon, enough for a character to perform emergency EVA for repairs while the ship is still in hyperspace. Ending up outside the hyperdrive field is instantly and utterly lethal, essentially disintegration.

2). Conditions do exist under which objects can exist naturally within hyperspace (or otherspace, if you feel the two are separate)

3). Objects ejected from starships in hyperspace do not emerge in realspace, per Sil Sorranon. What happens to those objects is unknown, as not even debris remains.

Here's what I'm thinking...

1). Hyperspace exists as described by Brian Daley (since under the canon, hyperspace is nothing more than a medium to permit rapid interstellar scene changes).

2). All ships have hyperdrive fields as part of their hyperdrives to protect them from destructive contact with the substance of hyperspace.

3). Ships must have an active hyperdrive sustaining their transit in hyperspace. Hyperdrive malfunctions? Ship drops into realspace.

4). In addition to the gravity well detection cut-out, ships also have a critical damage cut-out. If the ship takes damage or malfunctions sufficiently that the integrity of the hyperdrive field is compromised (or in danger of being compromised), the cut-out shunts the ship back into realspace.

5). Ships that are destroyed in hyperspace suffer instant failure of their hyperdrive field and are disintegrated.

6). Any vessel or object not equipped with a hyperdrive and hyperdrive field that is ejected from a ship in hyperspace is instantly destroyed. This is what actually happened to Nil Spaar at the end of the Black Fleet Crisis.

Thoughts?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corise Lucerne wrote:
There have been a few ideas of this sort of thing floating around the net.

That's where my idea for more accurate stats originated. I'm also working on stats for what I call the Obstructor-Class Hyperspace Weapons Cruiser; which mounts two gravity well projectors, two pulsemass projectors and hyperspace fluxnet transceiver (see the link above for my Observer-Class Hyperspace Reconnaissance Cruiser). While shorter ranged than the fluxnet transceivers on the Observer, the single unit on the Obstructor would be sufficient to provide precision targeting for the hyperspace weaponry. The orbital long range scanner you mentioned below is short on details, but could work on similar technology...

Quote:
I've always wondered just exactly how the targeting would work, wondering if it's a limited factor in the ship's deployment (as in, the exact route would have to been known in all three axial coordinates) as well as the time (if it is an energy intensive weapon).

Well, I always just shrugged and figured that, if they can do it with the Interdictor's gravity wells, they could also do it with a pulsemass projector.

Quote:
Random sidenote, if this weapon does hit a starship's hyperdrive while the ship is in hyperspace, the target ship is basically screwed, as without a functioning hyperdrive, the starship forever remains in hyperspace (as per Sil Sorannan in Tyrant's Test).

Based on my previous post about the nature of hyperspace, I would say that, unless the ship was out-and-out destroyed while in hyperspace, the ship's automatic cut-outs would kick in and drop the ship back into realspace, badly damaged and with an inoperative hyperdrive, but still alive.

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me.

So a ship's hyperdrive is actually two closely related systems:
a) the "motivator", which lets the ship enter and stay in hyperspace, and serves as it's propulsion unit once there;
b) and the "envelope projector", which protects the ship, isolating it from the normally lethal contact with the medium of hyperspace.

If the "motivator" stops working for whatever reason, the ship drops back into realspace (think of it like a underwater vessel without ballast tanks: to stay submerged it must continually use it's propulsion unit to push itself down; once it stops doing that, bouyancy pushes it to the surface).

If the "envelope" stops working for whatever reason, (almost) unfailable safety cutoffs engage in the "motivator", and the ship drops back into realspace (see above).

Would that be about right?

An (off-topic, I'm affraid) question which just popped into my mind: can a ship stay stationary in hyperspace? Or must it be always moving forward?
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
So a ship's hyperdrive is actually two closely related systems:
a) the "motivator", which lets the ship enter and stay in hyperspace, and serves as it's propulsion unit once there;
b) and the "envelope projector", which protects the ship, isolating it from the normally lethal contact with the medium of hyperspace.

Pretty much. For game purposes, unless the GM actually wants the ship stuck in hyperspace, I would say that the automatic cut-out is infallible, and the only reason that a ship destroyed in hyperspace leaves no wreckage is because the ship was destroyed too quickly for the cut-out to do its job.

One option for the "stuck in hyperspace" scenario is the runaway hyperdrive, as shown in the opening pages of Outbound Flight. In essence, the hyperdrive sticks on and can't be shut down by normal means, requiring repairs while the ship is still in hyperspace. The cause can be left up to the GM, as well as whether or not the ship has continued down its previous course or has shot off on a blind route to who knows where.

Quote:
An (off-topic, I'm afraid) question which just popped into my mind: can a ship stay stationary in hyperspace? Or must it be always moving forward?

Not off topic at all. There is precedent in the EU for objects being stationary in hyperspace, specifically the stasis probes featured in the final battle of the Black Fleet Crisis. However, also per the Black Fleet Crisis, a stationary ship in hyperspace is pretty much blind, deaf and dumb, plus it can't go anywhere without dropping out of hyperspace to calculate a new course (unless it is equipped with a Nav-Computer Route Astrogation Bypass device).

I toyed around with the idea of a stationary carrier in hyperspace deploying starfighters that drop into realspace on their own, but I could never quite make it work the way I wanted. However, I did take the reverse route and equip it for hyperspace intercept, in that it could track a ship in hyperspace, close with it, dock and board it, all without leaving hyperspace. Makes for a great jailbreak sequence when you are trying to break a prisoner out of the ship's brig and sneak them back to your shuttle before the target ship drops out of hyperspace...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

3). Ships must have an active hyperdrive sustaining their transit in hyperspace. Hyperdrive malfunctions? Ship drops into realspace.

This is the only one i can't see.. If the hyperdrive is needed to bubble up and put you in.out of hyperspace, how can it by default drag you out if it malfunctions.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
This is the only one i can't see.. If the hyperdrive is needed to bubble up and put you in.out of hyperspace, how can it by default drag you out if it malfunctions.

It's not the hyperdrive that drags you out. It's hyperspace itself which spits you out once the hyperdrive motivator stops working. That's just how the "physics" of it works. See my submersible analogy.
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was thinking. Ultimately it will depend on how you want hyperspace to function in your SW. Both ways have their advantages; your perspective reminds me of hyperspace in Babylon 5 where ships only require a hyperdrive to jump in or out and are stuck there if their drive malfunctions.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It's not the hyperdrive that drags you out. It's hyperspace itself which spits you out once the hyperdrive motivator stops working. That's just how the "physics" of it works. See my submersible analogy.

I guess Hyperspace just doesn't have enough incentive to keep the ship without the hyperspace motivator. Laughing

But seriously, it does sound like the hyperspace motivator does something tot he ship to make it attractive for hyperspace to pick up and drag along. Almost like sort sort of magnetic charge or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: