The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Continuing Adventures of The Murder Hobos in Space
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Continuing Adventures of The Murder Hobos in Space Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Whill.

Well, my gaming night has been cancelled this week due to its unexpected move to Hoth. Terrible night to be without a TaunTaun.

Did I ever tell you about the time when Agent Nallok went missing ?

Shields was hitting up our rebel contacts to see if we could get some additional armament for the ship, and they told us Agent Nallok was the woman to talk to. Killing two birds with one stone, our contacts set us up a rendezvous with her, and we were to bring her and her cargo back with us.

Agent Nallok was scouting remote systems in the Outer Rim for much needed supplies for the Rebellion. All we had to do was show up, load her and her cargo on the ship, and jump back to base. Easy, Easy

Unfortunately for us, nothing is ever easy. Nallok was missing. Some forsaken little planet, that I can't even remember the name. It so was backwater it only had a single settlement

We tried to be discreet, but in a community that small it's impossible. Everyone played dumb and we basically worked our way all the way to "mayor". An Arcona by the name of Bennbus Polag. The planet name is vapor to me, but I'll remember that slimy Arcona for a long time to come.

Polag remembered Nallok. It was probably the highlight of his solar year, who can blame him. He said she was inquiring about the abandoned salt mine, a few klicks away. The Rebellion didn't need salt, but mining equipment could sure come in handy. Said she left 2 days ago, and no one had heard from her since.

Then he got extra helpful, for a small rental fee of 100 credits, he'd lend us a landspeeder and throw in a handful of glowrods so we could go play explorer on our own. We didn't have any other leads, so we took him up on his offer.

Super helpful Polag had even given us the GPS data we needed to get there. The ride there was uneventful. Things didn't go sideways until later on.

The entrance was clear.
We found a guard post, and braced for an ambush that never came.
This place was just an empty dust bucket.
What little equipment was left was rusty and broken down beyond repair.
There was nothing here for the Rebellion, unless they wanted to recycle scrap metal.

There was a minute of excitement when we found a sealed blast door, but nothing we could do would open it. The power was out, the thing was built tough, and even Vektor couldn't work his Verpine Voodoo on it.

We were about to give up, when someone spotted a droid. An R2 unit just sitting there waiting for us in the dark. How convenient. If we weren't so damned green at the time we should have smelled trap with a capitol T and started running the other way, but as I said, we were still green. We just walked right up to the darn thing like it was some sort of treasure chest waiting for wandering adventurers to claim it for themselves.

The little bugger sparks to life, and begins projecting a holorecording. Were treated to a half meter tall, blurry, blue image of Bennbus Polag. He tells us he's sold us out as rebel spies, and the Imperials will be there momentarily to collect us. Then he gets a bit too smug and mentions something about us "having a blast" down here. No one missed that last little bit.

We fan out and look for explosives. We've already searched this place for supplies, and found nothing, so we're grasping at straws at this point. Someone hears some ticking noise coming from the droid. Vektor searches the R2 and finds a few cubes of Detonite. With only a few seconds to spare the verpine is able to disarm the detonite. Instead of being happy we're not all blown to bits, Vektor is dissapointed that there wasn't much left in the droid shell beyond the detonite and holoprojector.

Deciding we've worn out our welcome here, we make for a quick exit. That goes about as well as everything else has so far, sideways. Half way through the tunnels we run into Imperial Stormtroopers. They have night vision, and we have glowrods giving away our positions like bullseyes.

They must have been ordered to take us alive since they were shooting on stun. Unfortunately for them, we didn't get that memo. Shields and Baggin each dropping a bucket head before going down. Vektor shooting wildly and Tysonis charging the remaining troopers in beserker fashion.

Stormtroopers advancing through darkness, guns a blazing, reasonably expect to get shot at. They are not really prepared to get punched in the face by someone who hits like a Wookie. There is only a single trooper left standing when the Stormhammer goes down for a brief nap, and Darkstar takes care of him with a well placed blaster shot.

Darkstar drags the unconscious to the guard post, while Vektor lays a trap.

Take one Droid shell, add detonite, and a spare comlink and you have yourself a better rodent trap.

Another wave of toy soldiers makes their way in, no doubt looking for their missing brother in arms, and joins them in the afterlife.

We all eventually work off the effects of the stun blasts and dig our way out. Polag is dead, he just doesn't know it yet.

We make our way back to town, and Polag isn't quite as dumb as we thought he was. When the Imperials didn't show up, he holed himself up in his townhouse with a small contingent of mercs to protect him.

Should we con our way in ?
Blow the door ? Nope. Used all the detonite.
Smash through the wall with the landspeeder ?

Screw it, Stormhammer fueled by adrenaline impersonates a human battering ram, demolishing the door and a few of the mercs behind it.
Shields and Baggin are right behind him dispatching mercs with well placed blasts, at nearly point blank range.

Where is Polag ? That cowardly double crossing son of a slug is hiding off in his personal quarters with a hostage. Not only did he sell us out, and is using a hostage as a shield, but the hostage is Agent Nallock. He's had her prisoner this entire time, and sent us to salt mines as a distraction, while the Imps were on already on their way here to collect her.

Gun to her head, he's trying to talk deal. Baggin starts negotiating. Polag is offering us each a 1,000 credits, plus lovely Twi'lek Nallock, in exchange for his life and us leaving the planet immediately. No one really get's to discuss it.

Vektor has gotten eerily quite and calm. and then he fires 3 times. The first 2 shots catch Polag right in his ugly scheming face, while the 3rd flashes thought he empty space his head once occupied a fraction of a second before.

Shields rushes to Nallok's side to comfort her.
Vektor starts rummaging through the late Polag's pockets, and the rest of the crew get the bright idea to search for those credits Polag had just offered them.

They didn't find any credits, but they did loot all the mercs before getting off that forsaken mudball of a planet.

Nallok spent most of the ride back in the captains quarters.
Tysonis spent the ride back cleaning all the merc weapons.
Vektor spent his time lamenting over destroying the only droid he encountered on the trip.
Darkstar spent the ride back meditating in the cargo bay, making some weird humming noise that stopped any time someone checked on him.
Baggin was playing with the coms. We think he has a secret girlfriend stashed somewhere that he doesn't want us to know about.
Shields has an ear to ear grin. Evidently the lovely lady Nallok is stimulating company.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centinull wrote:
Erick Darkstar was dreamed up after watching this video
http://youtu.be/QyYbvVAtlWk?t=23s

It's the Star Wars: The Old Republic Intro Cinematic. If you've never seen it, you should. It's 6 minutes of awesome that embodies everything that makes Star Wars awesome.

When the player described Erick Darkstar to me, I instantly knew this is where he drew his inspiration from.

It had been some time since I'd seen that, and it was just as awesome seeing it again! I even played this game for some time (back when it cost $), even though I'm not really a video game player anymore.

Completely agree that it's 6 minutes of everything that makes Star Wars awesome! 8)
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centinull wrote:
Did I ever tell you about the time when Agent Nallok went missing ?

Awesome write-up, Centinull! I've introduced Agent Nallok to my characters, and plan on running that one someday. Your description of events makes it sound like a great adventure! Very Happy

Darkstar sounds like a cool character. When we first saw that intro video a few years ago, we all remarked that that same character is almost exactly like a character in our supers game. Here's a drawing I made of him, just so you can see the similarity:

Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DougRed4 !!

I enjoy telling war stories, and writing them out here lets me practice a little creative writing as well as reinforce the stories in my head.

As a GM I used to run my adventures on the fly, but for this campaign I've decided to try and use established modules as much as possible. I've found it's kept me from getting burnt out, not having to craft new compelling stories each week. Also, I really just enjoy reading and playing through the WEG adventures. There are lots of great Star Wars stories there.

It's also pretty awesome that I can chat with people thousands of mile away about my recent gaming session and they recognize the tale, like we've all seen the same movie or something, but everyone's version is a little bit different.

---------

That video suckered me into playing Star Wars online, as well.
It's a good game, but I'm trying to avoid MMOs like the plague.
I used to play City of Heroes, and then later World Of Warcraft, like they were a second job.

That smuggler is pretty cool, and I dig your drawing as well.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree about the use of published adventures. I'm pretty surprised that - among my group of RPG buddies - I'm pretty much the only one that enjoys using published works.

I do enjoy creating my own as well, but I find it a great deal of fun to use ones that are already made for me. They make me feel like I'm a director (of a movie or TV show), but the writer has already written a script.

Like you said, others can instantly relate or picture things, especially if they've played through it or run it before. Even if they've just read it, they know a bunch about the story. And there will always be differences with every group that runs through it, so it's like you said (that it's like we've all seen the same movie).
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centinull wrote:

I enjoy telling war stories, and writing them out here lets me practice a little creative writing as well as reinforce the stories in my head.

Rgr that, That is why I do the write ups for the 'Monday night google' thread.

Great write ups by the way. I enjoy them. I will say being in that party would drive me crazy. But I love reading about it.

Also, rgr on it being like seeing a movie but it being different for each of us. I see how your guys do it and then I can picture how the group I'm in would do it ... Also it is cool to think that what we are sharing is seen and used/thought about by those around the world and back again.

Forgive all spelling errors.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lurker !

I never know if I'm in for a serious adventure or a parody

------------------------------

Due to recent Hoth like conditions, my gaming night was initially cancelled, and then rescheduled for the next night. Unfortunately, Baggin and Darkstar bailed at the last minute. The group decided to trudge on without them.

Shields "Is there anywhere we haven't checked out yet?"
Tysonis "I think there is a General Store we haven't set foot in yet"
Vektor "Sure, let's check it out"

On the way to the general store they hear a scream coming from a dark ally way up ahead. They see three figures beating up a fourth. By the looks of it some of the local Bounty Hunters are kicking the snot out a poor Devronian that insists he doesn't know right answer they are looking for.

Back on Tannis V, a few weeks back, Vektor spent a two week dunk in bacta, and small fortune, for a Neuro-Saav Cardio-Muscular enhancement package. He's been dying to try it out, and these unfortunate Bounty Hunters look like they just unwillingly volunteered to be Beta Testers.

Vektor puts everything he has into a punch to the back of the head of the lead Beta Tester, just as he's raising his hand to deliver another blow to the Devronian. The result is not something that would have suitable for viewing by children.

The other Beta Testers, covered in blood and other bits of their former comrade hesitated momentarily, before drawing with the intent to gun down the insect monster. A moment to long, I might add, but don't worry they didn't live long enough to regret it. Shields is quick on the draw and dispatched both of them before they ever got their guns clear of their holsters.

The Devronian is grateful to a fault. He won't shut up about how much it means to him that we helped him, and swears he'll never forget our generosity. He claims doesn't know anythign about Adar Talon, other than everyone is looking for him lately. His boss however, a low level Ithorian crime boss, Slag Flats may know more. She only sees who she want's to see, but our new Devronian friend, Labria thinks he can get us an audiance. We're to meet him at twilight at the spaceport hotel.

Vektor takes enough time to liberate the fallen Beta Testers of their weapons, and move them deeper into the dark alley, before heading off to the General Store.

Along the way they hear two sentients talking about "Heff being dead". Vektor and Shields discuss briefly about the serious ramifications of this news. Should they spend time out of their busy day to rob the house of Heff, now that he's dead ?

Disgustedly, Tysonis insists they have better things to do, and a limited time table before a Star Destroyer full of Imperial Stomtroopers decends upon them.

Off to the shop they go. Seriously, how much trouble can they get into in a General Store ? I need to learn to stop asking myself questions that I'm not going to like the answers to.

Nice little shop. A literal mom and pop store, where mom and pop are hairy wolfman like peoples. Tar Lup and his wife Kal are nice enough. They manage to talk the group into buying some water vaporator/converters and a few medpacs before things went horribly wrong.

Akkik and Gorrt, a Jawa and Gamroean duo in the employ of Jabba the Hutt show up to collect their weekly protection payment. Tar has it in hand, and it ready to hand it over when Shields decides to get chivalrous.
Tar begs the Muder Hobos not to interfere.

Shields, having already gone full blown Super Saiyan Murder Hobo, can't hear him. Tunnel vision sets in, and the only sound he can hear is the blood racing through his veins. Gorrt, no doubt in a show of force, unsheathes his Vibro Axe. Shields screams "HE'S GOT A GUN !!!" and things go sideways yet again.

Gorrt is riddled with blaster fire.
Akkik is clothes lined as he attempts to escape.
Tar is screaming "What have you done", "Jabba is going to kill us", "Why? Why? I asked you not to interefere" Kal is in tears hiding behind the counter.
Shields coming down from his adrenaline high, now fumbling to find the right words, and failing miserably.

Last edited by Centinull on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUN FACT: Verpine are terrible at reading the emotional states of non-insectile races, especially humans.

Vektor prefers mechanicals to living beings. Droids are logical, predictable, and they don't run around screaming and crying after you saved them from being robbed. Vektor response to the situation seems perfectly logical in his head, but comes may come across as Psychopathic to the mammals.

Vektor "Be quiet, female"
Vektor "Be quiet, female. Your loud outcries will attract unwanted attention"
Vektor "Be quiet, female, or I will silence you"

Kal is so hysterical at this point it's not even clear if she can hear him.
Vektor is advancing toward her, when her husband Tar jumps in between them. He holds his wife trying to calm her hysterics. Eventually he muzzles her with his hands and just pleads with the group to leave.

Shields "Don't worry, we'll take care of this. Jabba will never know they made it here. I have a plan. Is there a back door ?"
Tar points to the back
Shields "Tysonis, go get the repulsorlift"
Tysonis, looking at Shields then rolling his eyes over onto Vektor, says "Vektor, why don't you guard the front door, to make sure we don't have any more unexpected guests"

As they discreetly load the bodies into the back of their vehicle Tysonis asks Shields "So what's the plan?"
Shields "We'll head back to that alley and make it look like the Gamorean and Jawa had a run in with those Bounty Hunters we left back there"
Tysonis "You know this would have been easier if you hadn't turned it tino a gunfight ?"
Shields "He had a gun, I didn't have a choice"
Tysonis "Looked more like a vibroaxer to me"
Shields " I thought it was a really big gun"

They make it back to the Alley, block the entrance with the repulsorlift, deposit their cargo, stage the scene quickly, and get out of there before attracting unwanted attention.

Twilight falls, and they meet Labria at the Spaceport hotel.
Labria says that his boss Slag Flats is interested in a meeting
"She can tell you where to find this Tallon. She holds audience in the silo"
Labria, on his speederbike, leads us out into the dark deserts of Tatooine.

Vektor " Why didn't the Devronian just ride with us?"
Tysonis " He said he was more comfortable with his own ride and that he didn't want to leave it unattended in Mos Eisley. Something about it being a wretched hive of scum and villainy..."
Vektor " You don't find that suspicious ?"
Tysonis " I just assume he felt safer further away from you. He did see you take that guys head off"
Shields laughs, Vektor shrugs, and the rest of the ride is uneventful.

Once they arrive the silo things get interesting.
Labria "This is as far as I go. Good luck my friends !"
He turns around his bike and speeds off back to Mos Eisley.

Vektor " You don't find that suspicious ?"
Tysonis "No. That was definitely suspicious"
Shields "So what do we do know?"
Tysonis "Probably walk into a trap"
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centinull wrote:

Shields "... I have a plan. Is there a back door ?"

Haaaaa, Maybe, I would fit in with your group .... I wonder how many times my character (Harris) has said that ... and how hair briand said plan actually is ....

Great write up !!!

Forgive all spelling errors.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excellent! So fun to have a familiar 'face' (with Labria! I'm so looking forward to having adventures on Tatooine myself someday!

I also like how you went against type with an Ithorian gangster (as I really don't like the "all Rodians are hunters, all Ithorians are gentle, etc.).

So what race is Tysonis? Is he human?
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tysonis is a human, from Tatooine no less, who traveled the Outer Rim as a shock boxer before becoming a Bounty Hunter. Travelling on the road was lonely, and this crew has become family to him. He's not quite ready to die for the Rebellion, but he's more than willing to bash a few faces in to protect his travelling companions.

---------------------

The Water Silo

Shields "You think it's a trap?"
Tysonis "Almost certainly"
Vektor "So what should we do?"
Tysonis "Walk through the front door, and shoot anyone who tries to kill us ?"
Shields, dripping with sarcasm "Sounds like a plan."
Tysonis " I never said it was a good plan"

On edge, guns drawn, they burst through the only door to find... dead bodies. Three dead human, a big furry something or other, and a dead Ithorian slumped over a desk.

Vektor "I'll loot the bodies"
Tysonis " Hey Shields"
Shields " What ?"
Tysonis " Remember when I said this was probably a trap?"
Shields " Yeah. You thinking that's not the case now ?"
Tysonis " No. It's definitely a trap."
There is a loud clank followed by a faint hum as the door slams shut.
Tysonis "See, I told you"
Vektor "Magnetically sealed ?"
Tysonis shrugging " How should I know?"
Shields " I got this" as he fires his blaster into the door.

The blaster bolt ricochets off the apparently magnetically sealed door, and miraculously manages not to hit anyone.

Shields "Yup. Magnetically shielded"

There is a loud clank, some gurgling noises, and the sound of a repulsorlift riding off.

Shields "That's not good"
Vektor " What do you think it is?"
Tysonis "We are in a water tower"

As if on cue, a hatch in the roof opens up and water begins pouring in.

Shields "We are going to drown"
Vektor "We ?" pointing to Tysonis and then back to himself "We are in armor with sealed systems. Rethinking that whole not wearing armor fashion choice you have going on there aren't we now ?"
Tsyonis "We should figure out something before he drowns. He's the one who flies the ship"
Vektor " I got this. You might want to find cover"

Shields ducks behind the desk.
Vektor drags the body of the big furry white thing over himself before lobbing a grenade at the door.
Tysonis "Really?" as he dives flat on the ground.

No one manages to take any damage, including the door.

Shields "Detonite ?"
Vektor "I don't have any. Another grenade?"
Shields and Tysonis "NO!"
Vektor "I'm officially out of ideas then"
Shields "Tysonis. remember when we rescued Narlock?"
Tsyonis "You want me to punch through the wall?"
Shields "It's probably not magnetically sealed"

Tysonis punches a fist sized hole in the wall, and the water starts pouring out, but the room is still filling up.

Vektor "Save some from for me"

The wall loses the most life and death game of whack a womprat ever played on Tatooine. The weakened wall gives way under the weight of the water and crew float outs on wave of debris. A speeder bike and landspeeder leaving a dust trail in the distance.

Vektor "Labria sold us out"
Tysonis "What makes you say that?"
Vektor "He wouldn't ride with us. He wouldn't come in with us, and I think that's his bike in the distance"
Tysonis "Fair enough"
Shields pulls up in their speeder "Come on, get in"

What follows is the most anticlimactic chase seen in history. Shields fails every roll, and they are left in the dust.

Tysonis "We should head back to Mos Eisley. Maybe we can catch up with Labria at the hotel"
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another awesome summary! What timeframe is your campaign set in, Centinull?
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started before the Battle of Yavin. This adventure happening a few months after the destruction of the first Death Star.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. You're just a year or so ahead of us in our game. It's a great time period to game in, IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: