The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Old WEG Adventures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Old WEG Adventures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Old WEG Adventures Reply with quote

Yesterday I stopped by a Half-Price Books, often a great source for old D6 material. There were a few WEG books there, among them a couple of very old material (circa 1988). The two were:

Battle for the Golden Sun
Tatooine Manhunt

They both seemed pretty dated, which isn't really a surprise considering that they came out only 5 years after the OT ended.

Anybody play (or run) either of those? Or have fond recollections of any of the really old WEG stuff?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, those were the 1st edition versions of the adventures. I've got Tatooine Manhunt in the Classic Adventures series. I've heard a lot of good things from people running Tatooine Manhunt. I've read through it and it looks like a decent adventure. Depending on the price, it might not be a bad idea.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah "Tatooine Manhunt" has a lot of things good about it and definitely worth the investment. I believe that "Battle of the Golden Sun" was actually the very first adventure WEG produced for SWRPG. It is an okay adventure but suffers from a lot of things. Some of the concepts and how things work do not mesh very well with what is now established SWU. There are problems with balance as well. The entire adventure suffers from not enough information, misplaced information and loses cohesion at times. Its still a decent adventure if nothing more than to show you how to outline an adventure. There are a lot of in-media res boxes as well as plotted description boxes and a nifty little script for the beginning of play. Again, not a bad addition to a collection, but not a strong adventure either.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Tatooine Manhunt
Battle for the Golden Sun

Sometimes I forget that I am one of the only first generation WEG Star Wars gamers around. As a high school student I bought the original 1E RPG rule book and its companion Sourcebook the week they came out in the Fall of '87. I still have my original 1E rule book - Its like my Star Wars ten commandments resting in the ark of the covenant. I also still have both of these 1E modules.

Tatooine Manhunt is the very first adventure module published for WEG SW. I've ran the adventure 6 times (6 different player groups of course), and its always been a lot of fun. If you can accept the premise of yet another aging hero of the Republic hiding in exile of in the deserts of Tatooine since the beginning of the Empire (apparently unaware of General Kenobi being there), then you'll probably like the adventure. However I usually make changes to published adventures, and two times I ran it had someone else in hiding. The planet Tatooine truly is a classic SW adventure setting and this adventure works a lot of filmic aspects into it. The 1E module comes with a full-color fold-out map of a part of downtown Mos Eisley backed with a encounter map of a cantina very similar to the one featured in A New Hope (it could only be the same one if it had some renovations soon after ANH). The map was reproduced with the Mos Eisley Adventure Set, and like Cheshire referenced the "Tatooine Manhunt" adventure itself was adapted to 2E in Classic Adventures: Volume Three, along with 2 other pretty cool 1E modules, "Death in the Undercity" and "Riders of the Maelstrom".

Battle for the Golden Sun is an early 1E adventure module (3rd or 4th). It's a Force-centered story designed for use with a Force-using PC. I've ran it a few times, but I've always change things, including the adventure's primary aquatic species to one inspired by D&D sea elves because I didn't care for the half-humanoid sea lion species (Sedrians, but I've warmed to the concept of them in recent years though). This module comes with a full-color diagram of an Imperial Aquatic Garrison (part of the adventure takes place in one under construction on the water-world), and the adventure has things like Imperial Seatroopers and AT-AT Swimmers (Aquatic Terrain Armored Transports), basically submarines that look like AT-AT Walkers without legs. It's an ok adventure with some good source material, but I've never ran it as is. I've always inserted some of my campaign's NPCs into it and made changes to the plot of the story, especially towards the end.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Sometimes I forget that I am one of the only first generation WEG Star Wars gamers around. As a high school student I bought the original 1E RPG rule book and its companion Sourcebook the week they came out in the Fall of '87. I still have my original 1E rule book - Its like my Star Wars ten commandments resting in the ark of the covenant. I also still have both of these 1E modules.

Shocked

You just made me feel old ...

I to remember playing SWRPG back when it forst came out, but I had forgotten it was sooooooo long ago. I didn't buy any of the books untill I was in the military at my first duty station (so 1990 -91ish) because I had all of the AD&D books for the group so my friends bought the books for the other games we would take turns playing.

As for those adventures, I remember Tatooine vaguley from back in the day, but my aging memory is a bit fuzzy on it Laughing

Forgive all spelling errors.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the good info on them, everyone! Smile

The Tatooine adventure sure looks intriguing (as I'd really like to get my players there at some point; such an iconic setting!). But I've wondered about using this 'as is'. Some of the characters seem overly derivative - Jodo Kast looks like Boba Fett and the Gand bounty hunter looks just like Zuckuss; shoot, there's even a droid on the cover that looks a lot like IG-88!

Some of the maps included do look cool (they looked intact in these copies, so they probably were never used), but I've already got a map of Mos Eisley (I think from the Adventure Set), and I wonder if I could end up making something on my own with the resources I have already. Besides Wookieepedia, there's WotC's "Geonosis and the Outer Rim" (which I use a lot) and lots of other sources, including plenty of WEG stuff on the planet and it's denizens.

Jodo Kast seems like a cool character (I'm familiar with him from the CCG), but I think it'd be a bit of a stretch to have another General from the wars hiding on this secluded world.

And I was a bit concerned with the timelines for both. We're not quite to 1 BBY currently.

Both books were $8 each. Looking at eBay that seems like a bargain for Tatooine Manhunt, but 'Golden Sun' can be had for even cheaper (and I think it's the one I'd be less likely to play).

Thanks again for all the great intel on these! 8)
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Tatooine Manhunt Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Shocked

You just made me feel old ...

I to remember playing SWRPG back when it forst came out, but I had forgotten it was sooooooo long ago. I didn't buy any of the books untill I was in the military at my first duty station (so 1990 -91ish) because I had all of the AD&D books for the group so my friends bought the books for the other games we would take turns playing.

As for those adventures, I remember Tatooine vaguley from back in the day, but my aging memory is a bit fuzzy on it Laughing

So you were at your first duty station when I went off to college. Sorry, but yeah, we're old. 8) Glad to not be the only old-time SW gamer here.

DougRed4 wrote:
Thanks so much for all the good info on them, everyone! Smile

The Tatooine adventure sure looks intriguing (as I'd really like to get my players there at some point; such an iconic setting!). But I've wondered about using this 'as is'. Some of the characters seem overly derivative - Jodo Kast looks like Boba Fett and the Gand bounty hunter looks just like Zuckuss; shoot, there's even a droid on the cover that looks a lot like IG-88!

Some of the maps included do look cool (they looked intact in these copies, so they probably were never used), but I've already got a map of Mos Eisley (I think from the Adventure Set), and I wonder if I could end up making something on my own with the resources I have already. Besides Wookieepedia, there's WotC's "Geonosis and the Outer Rim" (which I use a lot) and lots of other sources, including plenty of WEG stuff on the planet and it's denizens.

Jodo Kast seems like a cool character (I'm familiar with him from the CCG), but I think it'd be a bit of a stretch to have another General from the wars hiding on this secluded world.

And I was a bit concerned with the timelines for both. We're not quite to 1 BBY currently.

Both books were $8 each. Looking at eBay that seems like a bargain for Tatooine Manhunt, but 'Golden Sun' can be had for even cheaper (and I think it's the one I'd be less likely to play).

Thanks again for all the great intel on these! 8)

This adventure was the first appearance of Jodo Kast. In most of campaign worlds, Jodo Kast became a reoccurring villain who ended up being much cooler character than Boba Fett was ever portrayed to be in the films.

Kast and 3 other characters in the adventure are derivative of TESB bounty hunters featured on the cover. I'm sure they just wanted to use the nice McQuarrie conceptual painting for the module's cover and invented non-film characters that could be said to be represented by the picture (You'll notice they are still standing on Cloud City not Tatooine). The other hunter is supposed to be "IG-72"in the module. The Transoshan and Gand were agents of Adar Tallon and therefore enemies of Jodo Kast and IG-72 in this adventure. There's no analogue of 4-LOM in the adventure. Even accepting the derivations, the cover still doesn't really make sense with respect to the adventure, but it looks cool.

As far as the timeline, this adventure could easily be moved around. Tallon explains that part of his motivation to come out of hiding was the Empire coming to search for droids (referencing ANH) but if that is left out the adventure could be ported almost completely as-is to anytime during the Rebellion (and would then allow for possible contrivances of Old Ben and Luke appearing in the adventure).

You referred to the Mos Eisley Adventure Set, and if you have that then you not only have the map but also Galaxy Guide 7 which overlaps with the module quite a bit in source material. And if you already have the poster-map, then I suggest passing on the 1E module and putting the $8 towards Classic Adventures: Volume Three to get this adventure adapted to 2E, plus two other full-length adventures (one taking place on Calamari and the other taking place on a Calamarian luxury liner).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good advice, Whill. I'm not sure where I got the maps of Mos Eisley that I now have, but I don't think it was that particular product. I think it might have been from the Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game; I might have even got it used, as I think somebody had made multiple enlarged maps of Mos Eisley that were folded up in the box.

In any event, if I got this and ran it, I think I'd try to incorporate 'Old Ben' as the old man, instead of Tallon (if that's possible). Funny that there was a "main character" back then by the name of Tallon, really (long before Talon Karrde).

I'm still pretty surprised at the prices on eBay for Tatooine Manhunt, especially when compared with the other one (Golden Sun). Must not be many of them floating around anymore.

And you guys are probably just young whippersnappers (in Whill's case, Whillersnappers)Wink. I was in junior high when ANH first came out.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As anyone who has been following my recent thread in the adventures section would know, I've just started running Tatooine Manhunt this weekend with my group. It looks like it's going to be a great adventure.

If you can pick it up cheap, I would suggest that you do so. The adventure is not terribly long, and there are a fair amount of handouts for the players.

Going through my collection just now, I realize that I own both the 1E module and Classic Adventures: Volume Three. I do still believe it was worth the minimal investment to print it. Can we really put a price on avoiding damaging such precious ancient relics ?
Very Happy
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I need to remember that not everyone played the first edition like my gaming group and me. Most of the source material I have is first edition (not counting the adventure journals). But we all bought all the new core rule books when they came out. Yes that does include the two D20 and Saga editions. I'm still debating whether to get Edge of the Empire or not. If feels off that there is a Star Wars role-playing game out there that I don't own.

It's nice to know that there others out there who have played the first edition, I feel less like the creepy old guy.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
In any event, if I got this and ran it, I think I'd try to incorporate 'Old Ben' as the old man, instead of Tallon (if that's possible).

The "manhunt" is based on the Empire discovering that Adar Tallon is hiding on Tatooine. The Empire put a large (million credits?) bounty on Tallon and hunters converge on Tatooine in swarms to find him. The main thrust of the adventure is the Rebel PCs competing against the hunters to find him before the Empire does.

So if the future events of ANH are still canon in your 1 BBY campaign, the manhunt being for Kenobi would cause a continuity problem. It seems clear from ANH that the Empire had not been aware that Kenobi was hiding on Tatooine (Tarkin didn't believe Vader that Kenobi was even still alive when Vader first told him he had felt his presence on the Death Star). But if the classic trilogy films are not canon in your campaign, then of course you can have it all unfold however you want.

DougRed4 wrote:
And you guys are probably just young whippersnappers (in Whill's case, Whillersnappers)Wink. I was in junior high when ANH first came out.

(squints one eye and shakes a finger in your direction) Back in my day, we only one edition of WEG Star Wars and we liked it! And we walked a kilometer uphill on a Hoth's winter day to play it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatooine manhunt is a great adventure. I love those adventures that let the players "touch" the star wars meta and in some way be a part of the Star Wars story. Starfall and Graveyard of Alderaan are also good for this.

I'm planning a spin-off game from my main storyline that follows a player character that stopped playing for a long while but now is back. I thought, what better way to use these other adventures I have without fiddling around with the continuity. In short, the background is that Jodo Kast killed this character's friend and stole the character's ship as well. Now, the pc is left with his friends stock ship to search for Kast and get his ship back. After leaving the Alliance to hunt down Kast, the character is pulled back into the fray at the start of Tatooine Manhunt.
The other characters will be connected to the story in their own ways. One pc will be a child of the friend who was killed and suddenly inherits a ship. Once the pc learns the fate of their parent they may also seek revenge. Another pc will be force-sensitive and will have a background involving a sibling taken by the Inquisition. Future stories might involve trying to turn that sibling back to the lightside.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great 'hooks' for your players, Lane Arroway!

Thanks, Whilll, that's good to know, as I do plan to try to allow the main continuity stuff be part of my SWU. Perhaps I'll just wait until after ANH to run this one (if I do pick it up).

Now, all of you mynocks, get off my lawn!

[Late Edit: my aplogies for mixing up Lane Arroway and lurker]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: