The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wraith Squadron Sourcebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Wraith Squadron Sourcebook Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you would need then is a comprehensive energy max output from the generator(s), which is to be divvied up between engines, shields and weapons.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking more along the lines of 1D of auxiliary power that can be shifted between systems at the pilot's discretion. IIRC, the X-Wing game allowed you to shift power between shields, weapon damage and speed, but I would be willing to include maneuverability or sensors too.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to look threw my books, I can recall a few times that they shifted power to from system to system, No reference at this time. You could do an 1D aux for making it quick and easy, or you could go more indepth using power generators and such. The D6 Space has Power Generators in it, but that's a really complex ship construction system.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a power distribution optional rule in The Far Orbit Project, but it is of sufficient complexity that, IMO, it should be reserved for games involving capital ship combat require a character to act as chief engineer and concentrate specifically on power distribution.

Another potential complication is that even the simplest of rules can become overly complicating if you stack enough of them on top of each other. The approach I took with my version of lightsaber combat was to create a central rule to which the GM may select from an assortment of optional rules to design his own rule-set, varying from bare bones but fast paced to time consuming but detailed. I think a similar approach would work here.

TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest revisions for the cover of the Wraith Squadron Sourcebook:

Wraith Squadron group shot on Hyperspace background with LEGENDS header
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkNFgzUHhLRWhHRHc/edit?usp=sharing

Wraith Squadron group shot on Static Starfield background with LEGENDS header
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkR09LZzJhTG5Ubzg/edit?usp=sharing

Wraith Squadron A-Wing/X-Wing on Hyperspace background with LEGENDS header
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkZmRDblJjWjJaclk/edit?usp=sharing

Wraith Squadron A-Wing/X-Wing on Static Starfield background with LEGENDS header
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkakVMMFB6TVh6X0k/edit?usp=sharing

I can also do a plain black (or for that matter, any color) background, please let us know what you think / prefer so we can determine best choice for this project.

If anyone has a background or center image that you think would look cooler, or highlight the Wraiths better, please PM me links and I'll see whether I can work them into the cover.

T.C.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really read threw the Far Orbit as it's not my style of gaming. But I agree that simple rules can stack to make a head ache. you could do something like:
For every full D of power you pull from one system you can boost another system by the same. ( 6D laser cannons , 2D shields: Pull 4D from lasers to boost shields to 6D)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is too open ended. The Far Orbit Project capped power transfer at 2D max, and IMO, that is almost too much. I like the simplicity of just having 1D of auxiliary power that can be allocated as the pilot desires; I would also suggest ruling that the pilot has to declare any changes in power allocation at the beginning of his turn, and can't reallocate as part of his reaction roll.

Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point about being to open ended. I think shifting power to a system would be an action, giving an edge to those fighters with an astromech as the droid could use it's action to shift the power. A more complex way of doing it would require a skill roll.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a completely unrelated note, I have a problem with Kirkler's quote

Quote:
Only the good die young? What about wedge, he's good and still alive!

To paraphrase Monty Python's sex vs. logic skit

"Universal affirmatives can only be partially converted: all of Alma Cogan is dead, but only some of the class of dead people are Alma Cogan."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkler wrote:
I see your point about being to open ended. I think shifting power to a system would be an action, giving an edge to those fighters with an astromech as the droid could use it's action to shift the power. A more complex way of doing it would require a skill roll.

I can't think of an instance in the novels where changing the power settings was controlled by the astromech (not that it couldn't be). If it is anything like the video game, it was as simple as hitting a button to select which system you wanted the extra power to go to, which doesn't really seem to necessitate a standard action to me.

Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall it being done in the books. I had a player do it one time in a game and I thought, wow no one thought of this before? I wouldn't have it be a standard action just a free action, or a standard action if the system has been damaged.

As to my quote, nice use of Monty python.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on the history section right now, and trying to keep it from becoming just a copy/paste of the Wookiepedia entry.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dssVbC9OzMZobuzCWs_vm_T4WahiQ-wB4DIxrwcCv6c/edit

The History section, WIP.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RM2UlKSEV8xb8vww6SvDcm7ycUMnptYUVRRuA7b0ctw/edit?usp=sharing

Personnel.
I would appreciate any input you folks have.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as far as space combat rules, here is a short list of what I am thinking...
    -Starfighter Combat - I'm partial to the Dueling Blades rule, using opposed rolls to generate a combat result rather than opposed attack and defense rolls.

-Tactics - I'd like to use Tactics as a way to provide bonuses to the piloting rolls in combat, which is consistent with the in-novel action of pilots using dirty tricks, maneuvers, or other cheats to one-up their opponents. Whether this would take the form of rolling Tactics for a bonus, stacking Tactics with Starfighter Piloting, or using Tactics as a one-time dice pool (or some combination thereof) is open for discussion.

-Smart Missiles - Guided proton torpedoes and concussion missiles are found in the X-Wing novels, so a good rule for this should be included.

-Shields - The X-Wing novels use the X-Wing video game shield method as opposed to the WEG version. Specifically, shields provide equal protection in all arcs, but can be shifted from one side to the other to beef up protection in one arc while leaving the other undefended.

-Power Transfer - The X-Wing game allows the pilot to shift energy between energy weapons, shields and drives. While Pirates and Privateers offers a rule for this, it is extremely crunchy, so I would suggest allowing a simple 1D bonus that the player can allocate to eligible ship systems.

-Anti-Capital Ship Attacks - In the X-Wing novels, starfighters are presented as much more formidable against capital ships than the WEG rules allow. This deserves at least some consideration, especially when the X-Wing shield rules make capital ships more resistant to starfighter attacks.
There are other possibilities, but these are the most obvious choices based on my read of the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books.

Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: