The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Crossing New BSG with sw. What sort of issues do you see?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Crossing New BSG with sw. What sort of issues do you see?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Crossing New BSG with sw. What sort of issues do you see? Reply with quote

Other than the issues of space combat (do the cylons/clonials weapons stand a chance of hurting a SW ship with shields) what other sort of issues do you see potentially coming up if you crossed battlestar galactica with SW?
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated seems to be more based on modern tech with a few advances. (Just the way it seems.)

So Retro would be intresting, non retro would be a walkover
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossing New BSG with sw. What sort of issues do you se Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Other than the issues of space combat (do the cylons/clonials weapons stand a chance of hurting a SW ship with shields) what other sort of issues do you see potentially coming up if you crossed battlestar galactica with SW?

Nerd-rage? Razz

Seriously, though, you are making the cross-over, you get to decide everything, like who wins if they fight, so I'm not sure what you mean by "issues"?

One thing to decide upon, if you're using NuBSG, is their FTL (I do not recall offhand what the FTL was in ClassicBSG). Do you keep their Jump Drive, or retcon it so they're actually using Hyperdrive, like everybody else in StarWars? Because if you decide to keep the Jump Drive, you'll have to decide how it compares to Hyperdrive and what, if any, effect on the rest of the setting will the discovery of this new FTL method have. Is this the kind of "issue" you mean?
- Tom Lehrer
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on whether you want to do everything from scratch or what a place to start, it might be worth taking a look at the D6Holocron site, they already have pages of conversion/crossover material including for the BSG reimagined series:
http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battlestar_Galactica

T.C.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, BSG weapons are ballistic in nature, so I'd think that yould need to decide if shields would work or if you would treat the rounds as able to bypass them. The jump drives could be interesting in that there doesn't seem to be acceleration for BSG jumps, more like
a fold situation which the do use at one point to enter high atmo. I'd think that the plotting of jumps would take longer and I doubt a craft could be piggy backed.
As to ship killers, the nukes seem to do big damage but they're dirty, irradiating areas, so you would need to have that play in as well.

Would you be using the flesh coats as well, or just toasters? Also, how would they view droids, and droids them?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavin storm wrote:
Updated seems to be more based on modern tech with a few advances. (Just the way it seems.)

So Retro would be intresting, non retro would be a walkover

How so? Retro BSG had lasers and such, while updated seems to just go with projectiles and missiles.?

Quote:
One thing to decide upon, if you're using NuBSG, is their FTL (I do not recall offhand what the FTL was in ClassicBSG). Do you keep their Jump Drive, or retcon it so they're actually using Hyperdrive, like everybody else in StarWars? Because if you decide to keep the Jump Drive, you'll have to decide how it compares to Hyperdrive and what, if any, effect on the rest of the setting will the discovery of this new FTL method have. Is this the kind of "issue" you mean?

I was thinking their 'jump drive' might be more akin to the A-tings force travel like power.. Cause it did seem like when they kicked it in it was practically instantaneous in travel time.

Quote:
Would you be using the flesh coats as well, or just toasters? Also, how would they view droids, and droids them?

If i went into it fully, the 'crossover' i see would be more like a group of SW ships 'shift' into the BSG realm during the time of the exodus, while the skinjobs were hunting down the fleet.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
Depending on whether you want to do everything from scratch or what a place to start, it might be worth taking a look at the D6Holocron site, they already have pages of conversion/crossover material including for the BSG reimagined series:

T.C.

Thanks for posting a link to that site.. very informative.
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes garhkal, to your question
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:

Speaking of conversions has anyone seen a Traveller to D6 conversion guide? I could have sworn I came across one once, and now I can't find any.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a conversion guide for D6/Traveller a while ago, but I couldn't find it any more, the most I could come up with was a site through the wayback machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010607135510/www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/8037/myd6page.htm

And for other D6 conversions I found this, I can't speak for all the links on here, but it's interesting stuff:
http://www.d6online.com/forum/showthread.php?2216-D6-Resources-List
Which looks like it's also duped here:
http://opend6.wikia.com/wiki/D6_Links

T.C.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice links there.. Thanks for posting it.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. It looks like some of the links are broken, but that's to be expected, I suppose.

Looks like there's another SW RPG forum out there called The Star Wars Roleplaying Club, which is still active.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see that some are looking at what i put up on the D6Holocron.

i did the newer conversion for the holocron, i left the older stuff from rpggamer.org up because it had some stuff from the old BSG.

i used the rpg source books that i could find for the conversions. i left out some of the more technical stuff as it made things more complicated and i felt it would over burden games. such as the human FTL drives could make a maximum of a 30 light year jump which iirc is quoted as being "beyond the red line" but more common jumps were the 3-5 light year jumps with maximum safety limit being at 15 light years. where after each jump a new astrogation check is required to confirm local and to confirm new destination. yeah convert that to al a standard hyperdrive rating. i found a website awhile ago that had the hyperdrive/warpdrive/jump drive from various settings available in a calculator. but the site wont load anymore.
(http://scifimultiverserpg.hopto.org/)
basically i used from what i had saved for my quick references and made a chart and threw it on the holocron after i couldnt get the site to load.
(http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Warp_Drive_vs_Hyper_Drive)
and yes i did the conversion for the few cylons there were solid stats for. the more info i have the more accurate i find a conversion to be in relation to the original works.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: