The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jawas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Jawas Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Jawas Reply with quote

Having looked at Jawas I have come up with a few tweaks I think make them more in-line with their background fluff. The Special Ability Technical Aptitude is replaced by Jawa Engineering. An additional Story Arc Varmint is added as well.

Special Abilities:
Jawa Engineering: Jawas are masters at making junk work, even if only for a little while. When making a non-standard repair (jury rigging) the Jawa gets a +1D modifier (repair skills only). These repairs can be made without the proper materials or tools but are unreliable. When the equipment is used and the Wild Die comes up a one, it breaks down immediately (the GM can assess an immediate Complication).

Story Factors:
Varmints: Jawas are cowards and scavengers. They also have a body odor most species and some creatures find unpleasant.

For Jawa Engineering I have thought about halving the time when they are trying to do a non-standard repair (jury rig) though I think no since they already do not need the proper parts or tools to do the repair. Finally I was thinking of increasing the break down on the Wild Die to 1-2 instead of just a 1. Perhaps it breaks down on a 1-2 and a complication on a 1. Thoughts people?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been creating a lot of character templates lately and one was Jawa Scavenger. I encluded the jury rigging as its own skill and gave the bonus 2D for every 1D during character creation.

In Cracken's rebel field guide there was a break down table for the piece of equipment for every time the item was used not just when the skill roll was made.

I do like the Jawa Engineering.

Our term Jerry Rigging comes from world war 2 when the germens "jerry" would modifiy something hap hazardly.

Maybe we should turn the term jury rigging (which is a legal court room term) to Jawa Rigging.
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funniest use of a Jawa I ever came across..... A Jawa Swordsman
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our sparks group has (i ship you not) 2 Jedi jawa's, one even a Master jedi.
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ataru is ideal for someone of short statue.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAWA SCAVENGER

Dexterity 3D- blaster, dodge, energy weapons, grenade.
Knowledge 2D+2- business, languages, streetwise, survival: deserts, value.
Mechanical 3D- ground vehicle operation: sandcrawler, repulsorlift operation.
Perception 3D- bargain, search, sneak.
Strength 2D+1- brawling, lifting, running.
Technical 4D- blaster repair, droid repair, ground vehicle repair, jury-rigging, repulsorlift repair, space transport repair, system diagnosis.

Equipment- ionization gun, tools, plasma welder, restraining bolt, remote controller, tool harness/ holster, pit droid, robes, 200 credits standard.

Move 8

Special abilities: receives 2D for every 1D put into Jury-Rigging.

Thoughts?
Seghast
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my first characters way back when I started gaming in 2000, the character that was the most fun, was a Jawa Commando.

He wasn't cowardly; rather, he had a neurological condition of some kind that made him rather aggressive and fearless. As a member of the New Republic Military, he was put through several psych evaluations and failed every single one.

He was too good at his job to simply be dismissed, though, so they moved him to a Black Ops unit that officially didn't exist.

J'on Woo (yep, I went there) had some of the most amazingly-lucky rolls of any character I have ever seen; so many sixes, even on the wild die. To prove my dice weren't weighted, I borrowed from some of the other players to make my rolls on occasion, the players who typically had low rolls, but Jon always rolled absurdly high. He almost never failed anything. The joke character that we expected to die in an adventure or two ended up being the single longest-running character we've ever had.

He had to be retired because his skills reached absurd levels: +14d blasters, +16 sniper rifle specialization, +15d martial arts, +15d melee weapons, +13d missile weapons, +12d slugthrowers, +12d grenades, +12d dodge, +17d brawling, +10d walker ops, +13d starfighter piloting, +11d powersuit ops, +14d intimidate, etc, etc. It was nuts.

He'd even gotten so stupidly lucky with wild die rolls on strength before that he was able to pick up gravestones, tables, even a full-grown Wookiee, and use them as melee weapons.

As a non-Force Sensitive character, he killed more than a few Dark Jedi and Sith. He singlehandedly raided an Imperial base, stole a fully-armed Missile Boat, and then proceeded to use it to blow up the Imp-class Star Destroyer the next system over.

He was never intended to become a munchkin but he just couldn't die; the dice wouldn't let him fail and he never had to spend character points to save himself, instead getting to put every single one towards skills. He quickly became #1 on the Empire's Most Wanted list and stormtroopers feared him by virtue of his reputation alone. The phrase "Fear the Jawa" actually became a serious thing in our galaxy.

We instituted hard caps on skills after that campaign; no skill goes above twelve dice. We prefer players to cap their stuff at nine or ten, but only the cap of twelve is enforced.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, and a very fun story! 8)

Reminds me of one of the native Sessehshellah our PCs helped (an indiginous species sort of like aggressive otters). One of the NPC Sesseh named Keva did so well with his dice rolling that he was wiping out Imperial adversaries single-handedly, plus always dodging and avoiding being hit. Despite his small stature, the little furry bugger proved to be unstoppable. He soon developed a reputation among the PCs, and we coined the monkier"Keva, Hero of the People". Very Happy
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Jaws Rigging as a concept, but I think I am going to make it a specialization for each of the repair skills.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could perhaps halve the time needed for jury-rigging IF the Jawa has the proper tools present, perhaps also having the proper materials on hand to perform the jury-rigging.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the SWU it should hereafter referred to as "Jawa-rigging", as opposed to things like "jury-rigging". Laughing
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I think in the SWU it should hereafter referred to as "Jawa-rigging", as opposed to things like "jury-rigging". Laughing

YES Very Happy
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

Seconded! I move for a vote.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say yes!
Though would Jawa rigging have it's own malfunction table?
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I say yes!
Though would Jawa rigging have it's own malfunction table?

Maybe just use the GG6 modification tables in relation to the Jawa-rigging repairs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: