The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Help please Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Help please Reply with quote

Ok here’s my situation, my buddies and I decided to dig out our old D6 Star Wars game (because the wotc version just does not “feel” right). But having not played in years I am more than a little rusty in the rules. Embarassed

So my question is…how does rate of fire for a weapon come into play? Does the number state how many times you can fire in a round without losing dice for multiple actions?

And my second question is…how would firing two weapons simultaneously be handled? It is now cannon due to seeing Jango doing it, and with all the John Woo-eque style of action that has become popular, it would only seem fitting to incorporate it a theatrical game like Sat Wars.

Sorry if these questions may seem somewhat asinine but I have been out of the D6 loop for quite a while.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the rate of fire is the maximum number of shots that can be fired from the weapon per round.

I've always played that firing two weapons simultaneously would incur the normal penalty for multiple actions. Firing one shot each from two blasters would be considered the same as firing two shots from one blaster.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, lets see if I got that straight.
The rate of fire is only how many times you can fire the weapon in that round, so a blaster that has rof of 1 could only fire once per round, no second or third shots with penalties for extra actions, they can fire once and only once.
While say a repeating blaster that has 3 can fire 3 times per round, but they will incur dice penalties for extra actions for multiple shots?

And for the second question.
That’s what we have done in the past as well, I was just wondering if perhaps a house skill might be added in to incorporate the new trend with multiple weapons. Kinda like they did with lightsabre combat.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
While say a repeating blaster that has 3 can fire 3 times per round, but they will incur dice penalties for extra actions for multiple shots?

I believe so. I'll double check tonight to make sure and let you know.

Son of Fire wrote:
I was just wondering if perhaps a house skill might be added in to incorporate the new trend with multiple weapons. Kinda like they did with lightsabre combat.

I haven't played any house rule to reflect that, but it might be a cool addition... Smile

Loc Taal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the official word on Fire Rate:

Quote:
Some weapons have a fire rate. If there is no fire rate, the weapon can be fired as often in a round as the character wishes. If the fire rate is a simple whole number (like 2 or 4), that is the maximum number of times that the weapon can be fired in a single round. If the fire rate is listed as a fraction, it means that the weapon can only be fired on some rounds. For example, a fire rate of 1/2 means that the weapon can be fired once every two rounds; a fire rate of 1/5 means the weapon can be fired once every five rounds.

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea As to the two weapons rule:
We always applied the extra action penalties. There was one fella who wanted a special ability of being ambidexterous so he could fire two shots per round with his two pistols before aquiring penalties. I thought that was a reasonable explanation so I allowed him to have it as a special ability at a cost of one attribute dice...my normal cost for a special ability.

Idea As to the rate of fire rule:
We just ignored it. I gave the character carrying the light repeating blaster really cool descriptions of his weapon blasting fences and building facades apart and he was happy. Once in a while I allowed him to "suppress" the enemy. He rolled to see if he hit anyone, but either way the squad he was shooting at cowered behind cover while he laid into them. (two Coruscant Civil Police men after being fired upon by Team Aurek: "What the hell was that!? They've got repeating weapons! Speeder four to HQ we need SWAT down here!")

Good director descriptions can give the characters a sense of accomplishment equal to any die roll.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rate of fire can be very important, it's part of the reason that Heavy Blaster Pistols are so popular, because you can fire them as often as you want, as for ambidexterity, by allowing someone to make multiple shots without the penalty, in my opinion you end up creating a game monster. something that throws off the balance of play.

The one thing that always pissed me off about Light repeaters is the fact that they just do the 6D damage, unlike some guns that i've found that can end up doing something like 5D+1 5 times Smile they do have repeaters that actually do hit someone more than once for every blast you fire Very Happy i'll post up the stats for it in the equipment section
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I just looked it up (as well as looking at your posts) and you know what I have discovered? In the Star Wars universe there is not such thing as auto fire! Which we all know is untrue because we have seen Jango Fetts ship utilize rapid fire turbo lasers, and since turbo lasers and blasters are built on the same technology, the only difference would be scaling. So it would not be far fetched to think that auto fire blasters exist.
If the maximum “lead” you can lay down is only how every many times you can pull a trigger (like the heavy blaster pistol) then the fastest firing weapon is only an automatic! (Because every trigger pull would be an action).

So this is what I’m going to do in my game, tell me what you think. (But be genital, I just made it up a few minutes ago).
If the fire rate is zero, then every trigger pull is a shot (action) and additional shots would incure that standered 1D penalty, (this is unaltered from the game).

If the fire rate is 1 then you only get to fire once (also unaltered from the game).

But if the fire rate is 2,3,4,etc. like in repeating blasters and such than that is there “burst fire” (if it was say 3 then they could fire up to 3 shots as one action with 1D penalty for the “bucking” of the rifle, but if only one blot was fired then they would get not “bucking” penalty). But if they want to fire a second “burst” (i.e. second action) then they incur a 2D penalty, 1D for the second action and another die for the “bucking” of the weapon. If they wanted to go for yet another burst then they would have a 3D penalty, 1D for the bucking of the weapon, and 2D for a second action. And so on.

So what do you all think?
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like that. It kinda supports the "suppressive fire" value of a repeater... Very Happy

Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was thinking when I thought of it, after all what good is a repeating blaster rifle that does not repeat?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, the more than 1 fire rate means that you may fire the weapon that many times per round, and that's it Sad unfortunately, when it comes to weapons that do rapid fire, it's gotta state that it multi-shots
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was explained to me as well as me figuring it out myself to boot.
I just don’t like it, I think that a place that can have people travel from one end of the galaxy to the other in a manner of weeks (depending on your hyperdrive) would also have weapons that have auto fire. So that’s why what I stated above is what I am “going to do”, as in a house rule. I was not suggesting that it was presented that way in the game.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they do Razz

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those official?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea. they're official page, 64 of rules of engagement; the rebel specforce handbook. The riot gun is mentioned in Han Solo and the Corporate Sector book. Also Galaxy Guide 10 for Bounty Hunters has the blast and smash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: