The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to do the Aliens knife trick?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How to do the Aliens knife trick? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: How to do the Aliens knife trick? Reply with quote

I honestly have no idea what subforum this best fits in, but it is kind of an game-mastering decision, so here goes:

How would you do Bishop's knife trick from Aliens in game?

As in, what would you have the character roll to perform it? I think obviously DEX, but what skill, if any, would be the best fit? Would Melee be applicable? Or maybe Sleight of Hand if you use that skill in your game?

Thoughts?
- Tom Lehrer
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to do the Aliens knife trick? Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
I honestly have no idea what subforum this best fits in, but it is kind of an game-mastering decision, so here goes:

How would you do Bishop's knife trick from Aliens in game?

As in, what would you have the character roll to perform it? I think obviously DEX, but what skill, if any, would be the best fit? Would Melee be applicable? Or maybe Sleight of Hand if you use that skill in your game?

Thoughts?

Sleight of Hand.
I can see two ways to use it:
Risk free (except of critical failure) - better the roll is, better the result.
Risky - character decides what difficulty he wants to beat, if he succeeds, then effect is better than risk free try with the same difficulty. If roll fails - blood shows up Smile
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a roll for each pass, with each pass being more difficult (since it gets faster).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dex or Melee Weapons, starting at Easy, then increasing by one level of Difficulty per round.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Dex or Melee Weapons, starting at Easy, then increasing by one level of Difficulty per round.

Then two characters can dare one another as to who makes more passes. Nice.

Base the injury done to one's hand on a failure on the margin of failure, with failing by only a few points being just a nick on the finger, up to a "1" on a wild die or failing by about 10+ points being stabbing oneself fully in the hand?

But I think I'm with Tupteq here, Sleight of Hand (if it exists in the game) should at least be allowed to sub in for Melee, if not be the first choice of skill for this.
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why bother with Melee Weapons if you can't use it to make a knife go where you want it to?

Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Then why bother with Melee Weapons if you can't use it to make a knife go where you want it to?

Melee Weapons is for combat, e.g. what to do with a weapon to hurt someone, doing most devastating blows, attacking unprotected areas. I doubt that standard melee training includes such tricks.
Bishop's trick is about not hitting anyone and it's IMO a matter of sleight. So, for me it has nothing to do with Melee Weapons, it's 100% trained trick like card tricks or palming.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but using a knife to stab a specific point between a person's fingers has everything to do with Melee Weapons. Sleight of Hand is for picking pockets, palming small objects and other prestidigitation feats, not a catch-all for unspecified feats of dexterity. Melee Weapons is about using a close combat weapon (such as a knife) and making it go where you want it to go (either into a person or just close to a person).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Then two characters can dare one another as to who makes more passes. Nice.

I was thinking more in terms of it getting more difficult as the character goes faster and faster.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you guys make this entirely too difficult. Since this is nothing more than a cinematic contest of skills, roll vs DEX unless someone has a specific skill they have purchased for it or can make a logical case to the GM that allows him a modifier. If a 1 is rolled on the Wild Die it is an automatic complication, "stabbed yourself". STR+1D damage.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's just boring, to make a single dice roll. Sure, its a cinematic effect, but there should be some fun for the players, too, and the suspense of multiple dice rolls against increasing difficulty at least provides a little suspense.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was Sleight of Hand (being as it can also cover prestidigitation), but I can see going with a straight DEX roll or even Melee Weapons, too.

If we ever incorporated the 'affinity' rule, I could see going with a DEX roll, with affinities to your roll if you have any training in Sleight of Hand and/or Melee Weapons.

In any event, with the Wild Die as a possibility, I'd be hesitant to do this with a 1 in 6 chance of stabbing somebody in the hand! (but I suppose Bishop is more like Data, so a variant of a Droid in SW)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say straight up melee.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Melee.

And I'd like to see a situation where two or more folks try to "outdo" each other... sounds like dangerous fun.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Sorry, but using a knife to stab a specific point between a person's fingers has everything to do with Melee Weapons. Sleight of Hand is for picking pockets, palming small objects and other prestidigitation feats, not a catch-all for unspecified feats of dexterity. Melee Weapons is about using a close combat weapon (such as a knife) and making it go where you want it to go (either into a person or just close to a person).

Sorry, but it's only your opinion, not facts. My opinion is different and I noted that (I used IMO acronym).
In my opinion you are missing some important details - using a weapon is not stabbing a specific point, it's killing an opponent, opponent is moving, you push or swing with maximum strength (not just touch the table) etc.
I really doubt that knife throwers from circus are best knife warriors on the world (but I'm quite sure they are best in stabbing a specific point).

Because of that I agree with DougRed4 - affinity would be probably best (if D6 mechanics had a sensible solution for this).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: