The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dodging while swimming?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dodging while swimming? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
but the average bad guy is suffering a -1d dex penalty for armor. So their 4d blaster drops to 3d before taking out their map for swimming.

Nope. seatrooper armor does't reduce DEX. And what MAP for swimming? If they take a half move they aren't using an action.

Here are the seatrooper stats from the adventure:

Aquatic Stormtroopers (Seatroopers):
DEX 2D, blaster 4D, brawling parry 4D;
MEC 3D, waveskimmer operation 3D+2;
STR 2D+2, brawling 3D+2, swimming
4D+2. All other attributes and skills 2D.
Equipment: Stormtrooper Aquatic Armor (+3 pips to STR for
damage purposes only, does not reduce DEX codes, increases
swimming by 2D), built-in comlink, blaster spear gun (blaster
damage 5D, spear damage 4D), concussion grenades (damage
5D).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for dodging, one for them shooting back!
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the Dodge skill itself is the aberration here. If you use the various Operation skills to make vehicle dodges, and use Swimming skill to dodge while swimming, why is there even a Dodge skill in the first place? By extension (especially considering the official rule for Swimming), wouldn't it make sense that you would just use the Running skill to dodge while on foot?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting point. Dodge only applies when on foot, but wouldn't running make more sense?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but personal movement is different from vehicle movement. Running is the ability to avoid objects, but dodge is the ability to hide behind them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, I've considered changing Dodge to an Advanced Skill, then letting it stack with the movement skill for reaction purposes, with the Dodge skill representing how good a character was at making themselves a difficult target while they were doing whatever they were doing. In game terms, the character would roll his Running skill, or his Jumping skill (if he is diving for cover) stacked with his (A) Dodge skill as a bonus. It could also be stacked with Lightsaber, Melee Combat or Brawling Combat for reaction rolls, too, representing how characters don't just parry attacks, but evade them as well.

I've never really put a lot of thought into this one, but I think there may be something to it...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a different take on it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

I'm not sure I like it, but the idea of somehow combining the two rolls does appeal to me...

nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Running is the ability to avoid objects, but dodge is the ability to hide behind them.

Well I, for one, would rather avoid bullets, grenades, and shuriken than hide behind them, so Running it is! Wink

Swimming is also personal movement, but the official rule identified earlier in this thread is that you still use Swimming to dodge while swimming, rather than Dodge.

If you fly a Corellian Corvette, you move with Cap. Ship Piloting and dodge with Cap. Ship Piloting. If you fly an X-Wing, you move with Starfighter Piloting and dodge with Starfighter Piloting. If you drive a Barbie Power Wheels, you move with Ground Vehicle Operation and you dodge with Ground Vehicle Operation. If you swim, you move with Swimming and you dodge with Swimming. But if you are foot, now you move with Running but dodge with Dodge?

I just don't see how it's different. It seems to me that the type of people who are able to sprint up an oil-slicked, 45-degree-inclined, tight rope are the same type of people that would be good at theatrically backflipping over incoming blaster fire.

But I digress. Sorry for hijacking an Official Rules question.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
But if you are foot, now you move with Running but dodge with Dodge?

That was my feel, as well. I got the feeling that, where we have two separate skills for attack and defense for Melee and Brawling, Dodge was intended to be the Defense skill for Ranged combat...

jmanski

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
jmanski wrote:
Running is the ability to avoid objects, but dodge is the ability to hide behind them.

Well I, for one, would rather avoid bullets, grenades, and shuriken than hide behind them, so Running it is! Wink

Swimming is also personal movement, but the official rule identified earlier in this thread is that you still use Swimming to dodge while swimming, rather than Dodge.

If you fly a Corellian Corvette, you move with Cap. Ship Piloting and dodge with Cap. Ship Piloting. If you fly an X-Wing, you move with Starfighter Piloting and dodge with Starfighter Piloting. If you drive a Barbie Power Wheels, you move with Ground Vehicle Operation and you dodge with Ground Vehicle Operation. If you swim, you move with Swimming and you dodge with Swimming. But if you are foot, now you move with Running but dodge with Dodge?

I just don't see how it's different. It seems to me that the type of people who are able to sprint up an oil-slicked, 45-degree-inclined, tight rope are the same type of people that would be good at theatrically backflipping over incoming blaster fire.

But I digress. Sorry for hijacking an Official Rules question.

Yeah, but I'd rather duck behind something than to dance around Very Happy
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
jmanski wrote:

I'm not sure I like it, but the idea of somehow combining the two rolls does appeal to me...

I like the spirit, but I'm always hesitant to crank out new Advanced skills because, more often than not, the economy of Advanced skills end up way too favorable to the characters once you start talking about applying the Advanced skill as a bonus to multiple predicate skills.

What makes more sense to me would be to treat dodge as a specialization of any of the movement skills.

That said, if you do pursue the advanced skill route for Dodge, I'd personally limit it to ranged combat and make a corresponding Parry advanced skill for the melee stuff.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
That said, if you do pursue the advanced skill route for Dodge, I'd personally limit it to ranged combat and make a corresponding Parry advanced skill for the melee stuff.

I folded the Parry skills into Melee Combat and Brawling combat a long time ago. It never made sense to me to have them separate in the first place.

I have never considered dodging to be strictly limited to ranged combat; in brawling or melee combat, a defender can bob and weave or sidestep out of the way of an incoming attack in addition to being able to parry.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many say that with the parry's but forget in the write up FOR both brawl and melee parry, it takes into account you bobbing, weaving, blocking, barrel rolling, back flipping etc.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Many say that with the parry's but forget in the write up FOR both brawl and melee parry, it takes into account you bobbing, weaving, blocking, barrel rolling, back flipping etc.

I realize that, but the problem is that that ability to be evasive should be a cross-skill ability, as a person who has a high Melee Combat / Parry (whichever you use) does not become a clumsy idiot just because they switch to Brawling Combat / Parry. That ability to evade attacks should stay with them regardless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: