The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ttejk Mojk (verpine) Assault slicer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ttejk Mojk (verpine) Assault slicer Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something i can't agree with. Just having the base attribute at that level, especially if it comes from a racial bonus, does not and imo should not qualify one to automatically start with an (A) skill.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its okay that you do not agree but I am done trying to explain the math of it or the justification when you in fact cannot find a rule that validates your assertions. There is no rule that states prerequisites must in fact be 5D. There is no rule that states a D must be put into a prerequisite skill.

I am moving on. Do what you want in your game and I will do what I want in my game. Thank you for your input, take care.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that subject. Looking at some of the other (A) skills, such as interrogation, brainwashing and the like, they both require intimidation at 5d. So what makes others different that they only need 4d, or 3d?

For starters, I'm not aware of any official advanced skills for Interrogation and Brainwashing. Interrogation is listed as a potential specialization of Interrogation, not an advanced skill. Reference?

As for agreeing to disagree, this is not the first time this misconception has come up in discussion here on the forum. At some point, you seem to have come under the mistaken impression that 5D as the minimum prerequisite for all Advanced skills is an official rule, which is not and never has been the case. Not only did WEG not make any rule to that effect, they also clarified it by making other specializations have prerequisites lower than 5D in Hideouts & Strongholds.

Now, if this is a house rule or something Sparks came up with, that's fine. However, if you are going to critique someone else's stat write-up, then it should be based on official rules, not something home-brewed or your own interpretation of the rules that lacks official status.

As far as the attribute thing I brought up earlier, I would take the middle route and say that, in the event that a character's attribute is high enough to qualify for the prerequisite without putting dice in the skill, the character must put a minimum of 1 pip into improving the skill in question.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
As far as the attribute thing I brought up earlier, I would take the middle route and say that, in the event that a character's attribute is high enough to qualify for the prerequisite without putting dice in the skill, the character must put a minimum of 1 pip into improving the skill in question.

I also toyed with this idea, but to be honest, it really comes down to what the GM wants to do. At first I was uncomfortable with the idea of allowing the species modifier to count, yet it counts for everything else, so why not in this case. Also there is no rule that states pips or D have to be put into a prerequisite. It can be explained away as a prodigy, a person who has spent a lot of time studying in a certain area, or whatever else one would like.

We are not a slave to the numbers to dictate how a character is good at something. Its up to us the figure out what the numbers mean. To take those things and creatively make a character that not only makes sense but is fun to play. That is the fun of the narrative, do take something of one medium (so the numbers) and make them mean something else (narrative).
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually require a minimum of +1 pip in a skill to indicate "training."

I think it really would depend on the situation, for how it would call it, and depend greatly on the player and backstory presented.

Have to agree with SWR & crmcneil, I don't recall it ever saying in 2ndR&E that 5D was a minimum for all advanced skills, just for first aid. I'll break out the book and take a peek.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure which book interrogation/brainwashing/torture came from. And will give you many of the "other" (A) skills i see are on the chart Sparks uses. So maybe some have been ruled on to be akin to first aid and medicine..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the character's equipment, why doesn't he have some sort of datapad or something to use for slicing?

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Regarding the character's equipment, why doesn't he have some sort of datapad or something to use for slicing?

LOL how could that have been forgotten. HAHA. Consider it added. Also, why would be need a datapad to slice into a system? If he needs to be physically at the system wouldn't there be like a terminal or something? I suppose he could use a datapad to carry some additional programs and some universal cables for terminals and Scomps. That would work too I guess.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might need a datapad with a sort of attachment to access dataports designed for droids, like the interfaces that R2 uses all the time.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
He might need a datapad with a sort of attachment to access dataports designed for droids, like the interfaces that R2 uses all the time.

Already added a DataPad with universal data connections and a Scomp adapter.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is someone who is a slicer starting with such good gear (especially the shadowsuit)?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How is someone who is a slicer starting with such good gear (especially the shadowsuit)?

Seriously you have got to be one of the most nit picky people I have ever had to deal with. Because it was an NPC that I created that's why. I had thought to convert it to play in a game. I would of course remove some of that stuff.

It absolutely fascinates me that you would pick the sneak suit which exists and not the under garment that does not even exist. I mean really?
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Sat May 31, 2014 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Already added a DataPad with universal data connections and a Scomp adapter.

My apologies, I didn't quite fully read your post, SWR. I read probably 3/4 and responded to the first part as to why he might need one.

Quote:

Some templates start with tens of thousands of credits worth of gear, and other start with a sharp stick. He decided to give the Verpine a sneaky suit which only costs 600 credits. Maybe the character is an NPC he's planning to use in one of his games, and he chose to share it here.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Characters start with gear appropriate to the character's background. Brash pilots start with starfighters valued in the 100,000 credit range; the Privateer Captain has the option to start with a Corellian Corvette valued at 1,000,000 credits. A shadowsuit isn't that much by comparison, especially when it is appropriate for the character's usage.

EDIT: Considering it is the character's job to sneak into places as part of their slicing routine, a sneaksuit is perfectly legitimate.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Seriously you have got to be one of the most nit picky people I have ever had to deal with. Because it was an NPC that I created that's why. I had thought to convert it to play in a game. I would of course remove some of that stuff.

It absolutely fascinates me that you would pick the sneak suit which exists and not the under garment that does not even exist. I mean really?

It was the first off thing that i took notice of in the revised equipment list. And i WAS going to go through all that gear to see why/how the heck a starting PC had all this gear without any bounty/debts (let alone the starting (A) skill), but since you mentioned that this is for an NPC, i won't bother.

crmcneill wrote:

EDIT: Considering it is the character's job to sneak into places as part of their slicing routine, a sneaksuit is perfectly legitimate.

Then why does not the Spec force Infiltrator have a sneak/shadow suit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: