The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Rookie GM's First Outing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> A Rookie GM's First Outing! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that, is what i see them acquiring IN game, not as part of a back story.
But if you are ok with it, then i ain't complaining.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two more of my player's back stories yesterday. One is the short and simple Clone Wars veterans (I'm not complaining, it has everything I asked for and allows room to expand during play) and the smuggler (written in first person). Here are both!

Name: Augustus Church
Species: Human
Birthplace: Space station in the Corellian system

Brief history:
Augustus was born and raised on one of the many space stations in the Corellian system. Around the age of fifteen, he decided to run away to Nar Shaddaa in an attempt to seek his fortune. Fortune he did not find however. Instead he began running with a local gang, discovering a talent of explosives. One night, on a drunken whim, he and his buddies decided to hop off-world and sign up with the forming Republic Military.

Church served through the Clone Wars with distinction, rising to the rank of Sergeant Major before the war's end. He settled down on the planet Chandrila and married a Twi'lek nurse named Am'marie that he had served with during the war. They eventually had a daughter they named Madlyn with the help of genetic tinkering.

All good things come to an end however. In 6 BBY, Church returned home from a business trip 'cross planet to find his home sectioned off by police tape and the entire structure gutted by fire. Am'marie was little more than a charred corpse, and his 9-year-old daughter was nowhere to be found, but was assumed dead. The official report was that Am'marie was a rebel sympathizer and that the Empire had sent a squad of Stormtroopers (or something) to arrest her. What followed was considered a terrible, terrible accident.

After that, Church left Chandrila on a mission of revenge, searching for any information on the team that conducted the raid that claimed his family.

I found it amusing that part of the twi'lek's name is 'marie' when the Clone Wars series established them as having French accents.

And last, Prova the tramp freighter captain. Grammars a bit funky, but otherwise it's readable.

Here I am Prova or more popularly known as Ashanna the Togruta Ace Pilot, Liberator of Slaves, the Butcher of Slaving Organizations, and on occasion devourer of these organizations leaders. What? Don't look at me like that. How else do you deter Slavers from their Occupation? Fear is what keeps those f*** in business so I figured I'd use it to my benefit. After all fear is a great motivator to do what you're told, especially when that fear is for your life. I should know I was born a slave.

I started out as most slave children that actually survive to grow up do. My mother and I were part of a community of indentured servants to a Hutt on a backwater planet called Gelgelar, the planet of wetlands/swamps and nearly constant rain. Just the right amount of gloom and misery to keep the slave community in check. We were workers toiling in a shvash gas mine, my mother a water runner for the workers and myself scouting through the ground for new gas pockets for mining. nearly died 3 times to cave-ins, but I made it out ok just a little bit claustrophobic. I'm fine on a ship just don't lock me i a locker or I might kill you once I get out. Not kidding by the way. Take note of the serious face it means your death.

Unfortunately during a walk through from one of the mines potential customers a rather slimy looking human named Biddone, and by slimy i mean the looked like his mother was a Hutt, noticed me walking through the main camp on my way to begin my shift in the mines. At this point in time I was 16 and far to large to be crawling through small spaces so I was appointed my mothers second to help in distributing drinkable water to the male workers. From what I was told Biddone saw me and thought I was an "interesting specimen" and wished to purchase me, and seeing as how an opportunity I was offered as part of a deal with his promise of a contract with the company, and so I was sold not for credits I was free. That's right I didn't cost a thing and so my place in society dropped even lower. How can it be worse then working in a mining slave camp with the constant threat of death over you? At least I wasn't someones pet.

Biddone was a rather wealthy man he had a suite on Nar shaddaa that you could actually see the night sky from, and I was his bomb collared pet, his plaything he used to indulge his baser instincts. I was to accompany him where ever he went so he could show me off, and cop a feel when ever he wanted. I still shudder thinking about my time with that man. And that wasn't worst part about it was his wife, Kaista a rather rigid woman felt threatened by me. How you ask? If she didn't want to put out Biddone just found me instead. She most likely believed that Biddone would get rid of her soon since he had a new plaything. She has attempted to kill me on multiple occasions but having to spend so much time at my masters side limited her creativity. So she found other ways to torment me try to get me to commit suicide I think. She'd find ways to starve me of food and tell me how worthless I was and point out any free Togruta that we may have passed by in Biddone's speeder.

3 years.... I was stuck in that hell for three years until one day after a day and a half with out food since master was away on business. Kaista set one of the new guards she was having an affair with to have some fun with the Biddone's plaything while he was away, ya he wasn't the brightest they hired the Mistress's affinity for young and dumb really didn't help her with this attempt at torturing me. But when he entered my room without food and threatening me. I guess I kind of lost it. too much time spent around this kind of environment I guess has its tole on people. I let him approach me at my bed, he threw me down on the mattress and jumped on top of me, and suddenly he was unable to breath. I had clamped my jaws tight on his neck and after a short time listening to his choked pleas I ripped it out and began to eat. Ya pretty f*** up I know but he totally deserved it. and the idiot still had his blaster and stun baton on him when he entered my room. After eating my fill realizing what I had done and finally came to the conclusion that I was dead if I stayed I grabbed his equipment and attempted my Seventh escape. What happened to 1-6 I don't like talking about them especially considering the punishment I received for the attempts.

with my newly acquired tools though I was able to make it to Biddone's room and nab the key to my collar and a few cred sticks I'd seen him use during my stay. My 5 stunned guards later I was free from that accursed building and on the run. I eventually fell in with a swoop gang that taught me most of what I needed to know about my freedom on Nar Shaddaa namely don't ever trust swoop gangs. Really they will stab you in the back in a heartbeat, unless you do something for them and unfortunately my "skills" I'd learned under Biddone didn't fail me. eventually they came to trust me and i learned how to be a thief and a bouncer on occasion. What, I can be intimidating when I want to... ok I was a sucky bouncer but I was and still am an awesome sneak thief.

4 years of street gang life and I eventually found my way onto a light transport freighter as a passenger for once and not cargo. the experience was weird at first but nice. I was on my way to the planet hutta looking into a job I heard about. I remember this trip because of a pair of robed individuals the older female (I could only tell by her voice I didn't get a look at her face) was quiet and reserved and so was the younger male but I occasionally caught him staring at me with a stupid grin on his face so I decided to f*** with him. I winked at him and blew a kiss to him, and boy did he light up but the older female shot him down hard I think cause he immediately paled a little when she spoke to him. at the end of the trip and during disembarking he decided to finally introduce himself to me he was human and a male but I don't remember the name my response with a big bright grin was "Hiya, I'm Ashanna and I eat people." the look on his face was nothing to the laughter I heard from what I'm assuming was his mother.

On hutta I found myself in a unique situation, free and surrounded by the enslaved. I wanted to help but I also wanted to live. And that's when it hit me I could do both, but I would need to be extremely careful about it so I dropped the name Ashanna and became Prova. Ashanna would be the name of the vigilante freedom fighter and Prova would be the new crass but level headed employee of some big shot slaver group or crime cell that was all about the credits. I was not a brilliant plan but it was a plan now I just needed to work my way up the ladder on hutta to get a ship.

8..... 8 f*** years I spent on the slimy muck ball, one of the hutts tried to get me to dance for him in that stupid slutty outfit all the twi'leks were wearing. NO THANKS!, but on better news I finally was able to get a ship it had a huge 40,000 credit debt to a greedy hutt attached to it but it was mine, sort of. I just needed to make the modifications so it won't fly without me knowing hutta it would be gone within the hour without them, but there it was the Proximo a fantastic ship with no AC unfortunately but that just meant that I wouldn't be moving any live cargo thankfully. And so my adventure begins, and my plan to f*** up dismantle or destroy any slave organization. Here's hoping i don't get killed in the process.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we have some decent backstories. I still don't see their stats which you said you should have received by now.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had some problems with their sheets, I'll get those soon.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized I haven't posted an update for the last game. We didn't play on July 4th due to some players (less than you might think) having plans.

The game opened with the players on Broadwing Station, a deep-space station. I had planned several activities for the different groups: the Hunters would drop off their acquisition, and could pursue several pin-money bounties. The jawa had shopping to do (he bought an ASP worker droid and a repulsorlift cart for it to pull. He has an eerily prescient obsession with having his characters have wagons.) He also worked on getting several things added to the ship: a dead man's switch so it doesn't operate when he is not there to let it (gonna veto that, but not immediately... maybe have it shut off the engines completely, at an inopportune time, of course), and facial recognition security for the ship. Prova bought herself a credit case surprise weapon as a backup, in addition to dropping off her cargo with a character from the Sisar Run, as a tie-in in case they want to pursue that (the campaign is too long, but I might use some elements from it). She eventually got contacted by a representative of the Ryvern bounty hunter guild, and was hired to transport the hunters back to their compound, and pick up an illegal weapons shipment on Nar Shaddaa. This is a ploy for me to have the players meet everyone's bosses; the smuggler's loan shark is there, and the Hunter Guild spokeman will attempt to organize the group into a cell. I believe this will be advantageous for all parties: Prova can smuggle cargo saying she's just transporting the hunters, and the hunters can say they are just working security for the smuggler if they are poaching targets.

Church had something related to his backstory: one of his former squadmates, Kellis Freewater, resided on the station, but was recently murdered by a ganger named Tohm Mechaskus. Unknown to everyone, including the authorities, Tohm was hired by the ISB to off Kellis.

The jawa decided to find an infochant to sell the datacore acquired from Church in the last session. Fortunately, I had a Rodian slicer lined up as a bounty; I decided he would be the infochant. The jawa got off with selling it for I think 2000. UNfortunately for him, the slicer was a rebel agent. Who, shortly afterwards, was captured by the bounty hunters and turned in. I'm looking forward to an Imperial bounty on this one.

After I prodded Church's player to pursue the obvious story I had laid out for him, he recruited the hunters (and Prova) to assist him. On the way there, they found Kellis's son, Augie (named after Church), whom Church convinced to go home, and leave the killing to them. They tracked down Tohm's hideout, and Prova illustrated that she can be a convincing distraction while one of the trandos tore out the guard's throat. They quickly took down the rest inside, then tossed the place, finding evidence that he was hired by the ISB. This, and an earlier experience being shafted by the authorities bringing in the slicer, prompted them to decide to involve the Imperials as little as possible in the future.

After an argument over Church's boarding fee (and a dodged 40 credit bar tab), one of the hunters, Mugask, decided that he would have Church owe him a favor if he took care of it. Church accepted, and seemingly everything was fine.

However, the jawa's player was fed up with Church waving his gun around in his direction, so he decided to do a little character assassination. After Church's player left, he told me he was sabotaging his grenade launcher to explode the next time it was used, and also whipping up a fake bounty that he had raped a mid-level crime boss's daughter, which was going to be uploaded to Nar Shaddaa. He succeeded his rolls to do this, and I won't stop him, for several reasons: a) the jawa is going to get what is coming to him b) what he doesn't seem to get is that I reward narrative-based goals, so I am going to be helping Church get out of this and c) its unlikely to kill him anyway. Grenades do 5D damage, which Church has 5D to resist when wearing his armor. The bounty hunter will likely be a scrub, so its just a chance for combat without the combat lizards. Also, the player said he wasn't going to keep at this unless Church kept annoying him; I talked to the player about using his good Con skill to earn money; perhaps using Prova to set up a swoop race?

Next session I am planning to try to speed through Nar Shaddaa and get to the Ryvern Guild compound. It will set the players up as a unified party, and then I can send them off after the actual plot I have developed.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing great so far, Ninja, and I think you made a wise choice on how to veto the Jawa's plans.

Be careful with the potential PvP action, as it can very quickly get out of hand and (real life) feelings can get hurt. I'd recommend pulling aside the Jawa player at some point and reminding him that you're all there to have fun and enjoy yourselves. Your way of handling things (which sounds very much like Church won't actually even be hurt) is also good, and hopefully the Jawa's player can learn a lesson from it.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt he will escape unscathed, and the jawa's player stated that he just wants to teach a lesson to Church, and if he learns it, he will lay off him.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be interesting! Just prepare how to handle things if it goes completely off the rails. Hopefully it won't (and Church will learn the lesson and all can move on). It never hurts to be prepared, though.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured it was time I typed up the last session. Holy moly.

The session started off fairly normal. 477's player was finally free to play, but Mugask's player, the trando with the biggest gun, was absent. The group was landing on Nar Shaddaa. I asked Gozu for a Forgery roll, as I remembered that skill existed (the problem, I guess, with open-ended skill systems). He said he wasn't going along with the plan we had decided on, and that he had 'decided to deal with it in-house." I immediately looked at the two bounty hunters. After grumbling that I wasn't going to get to use my established scenario I had researched, I went with it. The party decided to split up: 477 and Prova were going to her Hutt loanshark to pay him, Gozu was going to go find a 'university' to teach him engineering skills (which I did not object to), and Church was going off to find his old swoop gang, in order to find a race to rig. The bounty hunters joined him, to wait for a good chance to ambush him.

Prova was successful in meeting Gonorr the Hutt, and dropping off the money. I made sure to play up Gonorr as even more decadent and disgusting than Jabba; Gonorr runs a nightclub/brothel, and likes to make 'recordings'. 477 had fun making quips about the meatbags; hes going to be a fun character to have around. Once somebody starts understanding Binary.

Church managed to find his gang without too many problems; the hunters almost turned on him, but the gangers were there to keep them from doing anything too stupid. The gangers took them to their hideout, where Church and the gang leader, Old Bones, a confederate of Church, caught up, and he let Church know that there was a small race in a few days. Church entered his own racer: Prova (who also happened to be a former member of the gang; I was very amused by the intersection).

What followed was the setup for the race. The entire gang was called in to help 'prepare'. The swoop bike Gozu stole back on Ord Mantell was modified by its new owner, financed by Prova. Prova found some price-gouged stims (I don't remember the exact name for it, found it in the RP Equipment PDF. It gave a 1D bonus to all skills, but caused 1D damage for every hour under its effects when coming off). 477 was enlisted to sabotage the leading racer; he managed to hook up a device that would remove all maneuverability dice on a signal. The others decided to perform various acts that would raise the odds to increase their gambling payout. Gozu, when it was done, decided to wait by the opening of some tunnels to try to snipe as they went past. To raise money to bet, Church took out what he thought was going to be a loan from Mrassh, with his grenade launcher as collateral (a heinous mistake on his part, for multiple reasons).

The actual race was a blast; Prova was rolling practically Heroic on average (Remember, kiddies, winners don't do drugs. Except when they do.), Gozu missed horribly, several of the racers crashed, and Prova won. During the payout, though, is where the session started getting bloody.

Mrassh, after getting his payout, told Church in Dosh (which he understood) "Sorry, just business." And took out his ACP repeater and fired several shots at Church. Fortunately, Church has excellent Perception, so he won the initiative, and dodged all of them. I had ruled that if the player was not there, Mugask couldn't participate in the battle directly; I had him fending off the angry gangers. Church got outside the room on the second round, and got two accelerated particles in the back, and dropped, Incapacitated. At this point Prova's player stepped in, and managed to pick Church's body up with the swoop and take him to the ship. The hunters followed, along with 477 and Gozu. By the time they got there, the ship was gone. It was very amusing to see Gozu's player jumping around like he imagined an angry jawa would act like.

In orbit, Prova revived Church with a medpac, and opened a comms line to the hunters, demanding an explanation for why they tried to kill a member of her crew. He explained, simply, that there was a bounty on his head. While this was happening, 477 had opened a line to the Ryvern guild office. They were not pleased: the hunters had taken an illegal bounty, on Nar Shaddaa, a planet they had no jurisdiction over, for 2000 credits, when any amount over 1000 was forbidden from being taken freely by their contract. After some terse negotiation, involving the swoop gang showing up as security, everyone got on the ship, and agreed to Prova's new terms (all weapons larger than a blaster pistol get locked in the armory). Gozu remained for a month to get his engineering skills; he paid several thousand for Droid Engineering, while the gathered donations from the party for Blaster Engineering. Church's player elected not to buy the grenade launcher back.

Whey the ship reached Cervon, the planet where the Ryvern Guild compound was on, the hunters were reprimanded for their actions, and were informed that they were going to take on an additional free bounty for the guild. Asides from that, the group found out that the Guild was sponsoring a Great Hunt, and was importing dangerous animals from all over the galaxy. Furthermore, everyone was paid, and was brought into the Guild CEO's office. They were presented with an opportunity for a contract: sign on with the Guild as associates, and join the same cell. The smuggler would get assistance in that her ship's permits would be handled by the Guild, she could dock for free at select ports, in exchange for having to handle jobs for the Guild every now and then. The Hunters would sign on as crew, as both a plausible disguise and a way for them to get onto planets the Guild would have trouble getting onto normally. Gozu was basically faxed the contract, and he also agreed.

And that was it. I admit, I let it get WAY out of hand, but I think I managed to get the players into a sustainable situation. Church want to stop by Chandrila to pay his respects to his dead family (and introducing that plot to the group without banging them over the head with it), and I want to get going with MY plot, which has them on Corellia. The next game is in two weeks due to me going to a convention and being out in Hawaii, but we will pick up then.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great recap, Ninja. I don't know why, but I find your characters to be among the most entertaining I've ever read about! 8) Good job adjusting to what the players did.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another session recap!

PART I of Renegade Wings

This session had some player issues. 1st: Gozu's player was absent, and it was ruled by the majority he was still studying on Nar Shaddaa (For all the crap it gets, I bet spring break there is amazing), and Mugask's player was absent again. 477's player was there, however, but it was his last session, as the player is moving away (I believe).

The session started on Cervon at the Ryvern Guild compound. Prova managed to find several jobs: transporting a few newbie hunters to Corellia, and hauling a lot of meat (Cervon is mostly a rural planet). It was dried into jerky over the trip. Since Prova flubbed most of her bargain rolls, she barely made a profit on the meat. However, I succeeded in my main objective of getting them to my plot. I mean Corellia.

Once in the system, they were accosted by what were (correctly) assumed to be pirates, on an intercept course. Prova waved her Guild credentials, and they let up. After a cursory customs search, they managed to land on the planet, and started searching for more work. The did ask who was trying to intercept them; after I floundered to come up with a pirate group, Prova's player jokingly suggested the 'Black Lobster' pirate clan. After they had been paid for hauling the meat, they noticed the group was being followed by two men matching descriptions for Black Lobster thugs. To avoid them, the group slipped into a cantina ("They all play the same damn song!"). 477 had to wait outside, standard cantina rules. However, outside he met an old friend, an R2 unit that served with him, another one with a 'black box', called 360 (many 'RRoD' jokes ensued'). 360 told 477 that he was working on some pretty cool top-secret projects.

Meanwhile, inside the cantina, the group was approached by a mismatched couple: a young-ish kid (who, ironically, is older than I am, yet I kept calling him 'kid') wearing a poncho over an engineering coverall (name: Finze Bravis, Incom defector and engineering savant), and a tall, very fit dark-skinned woman wearing sterotypical spacer clothes: vest, boots, the works (name: Janel Korsos, undercover Alliance agent working to extract Finze as part of operation Renegade Flight). She offered them a job: 20,000 total, 4,000 up front. Two passengers, one droid (R2-D2.360, 477's compatriot), one pet (name: hun Caernok, Covallon Alliance undercover agent), and about a ton of solid cargo. (Spoiler: it's the X-Wing 4L4 Fusial Engine) Prova accepted very readily. The details of the job: Take cargo to Alderaan, then to Dantooine.

By the time everyone got to the cargo bay, however, they found it empty. After some frantic explaining, they found it had been transferred to another starport as part of routine procedure. They took the tram there, and were ambushed by a Black Lobster groundside gang. While they were all cut down minus one who surrendered, Mrash was wounded. I can't wait to run smart enemies... The droids tried to keep comms down on the tram, but failed to correctly route distress signals. They were helped by hun Caernok, operating out of his modified carrier in the cargo tram. They didn't know who it was.

When they finally made it to the correct hanger and were getting clearence for takeoff, when Janel overheard that the ship was in the employ of a bounty hunter guild. There was some tense negotiating, which resolved itself by Janel promising that they would be paid extra upon final arrival in form of ship upgrades. I plan to promise more upgrades as... 'complications' arise. Meanwhile, the bounty hunters were called and informed that Finze Bravis had a bounty on his head... and their job was to protect him. You see, the Bravis bounty pursued by the Ryvern guild, but they were turned down due to employing too many non-humans. Miffed, the Prime Huntress of the guild decided to have the pair pull a black op for her, and one of the hunter's 'free' jobs would be expunged. They agreed; I think I have figured out a good way to get PCs to work with me, inspired by reading Schlock Mercenary: Pay them twice for the same job.

There was a short detour to Chandrila, at the behest of Church. The landed at a small town with a tiny spaceport for the night. Church gave the party 200 credits to entertain themselves with, and he left town for the night. In the morning, he didn't show up in time, but his comm was picking up. They managed to track him down, where they found him passed out around the burned ruin of a house, passed out drunk in front of two gravestones (go on, guess) with a datapad. The datapad held a convenient summary of happy pictures of Church and family, followed by the equivalent of news clippings stating the deaths. Meanwhile, Mrash was trying to wake up Church by bludgeoning his body. Church made all the soak rolls, even with being kicked in the crotch. He managed to regain enough consciousness for everyone to get back to the ship, where I ended the session for the night.

Church came away with some old equipment (his wife's gear, to replace some of his. I'm going to give him some medical gear, plus a Starslasher carbine), we bid 477's player farewell (I am going to keep him with the ship, or have him repossessed by the Hunter guild). Since Gozu is returning, I will try to work it out with him that he rejoined them on Chandrila.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the last two updates :/ Well, might as well play catch-up.

Session before last. Did not go well; too much railroading on my part. The group got to Alderaan and dropped off the passengers for a day. They used that day to sell their cover-up cargo (hyperdrive fluid, if I recall), and decided that since the Jawa was back, they should pick up a load of scrap, then convert that into farming equipment to sell on Dantooine. Things were going fine. They were about halfway into the trip, when they were yanked out of hyperspace by an Imperial checkpoint: an Interdictor, a Star Destroyer (currently dealing with a larger ship) and a customs frigate. They were hailed by the customs frigate for inspection.

On board, they were interrogated, but everyone's papers checked out. They managed to not get caught. Church tried to pull some fast talk (and spent a force point... foolishly) and talked them out of it. However, hun Caernok, the covallon, popped out and shot one of the stormtroopers in the head, shouting that he had intercepted a transmission that they had identified the kid. A fight ensued, that went pretty well, all things considered. Stormies are tough. They eventually managed to hijack the customs cruiser, and set it on a collision course with the Interdictor with the crew locked up. They managed to get away while the star destroyers were caught up in the confusion, while Vanndred's ship (the Eclipse Predator II, a Pursuer Enforcement ship) shot out of hyperspace.

The players let me know that they felt too railroaded, which I acknowledged, and told them I would try to prevent that in the future.

Next session! 477's player has moved away, but thats not too bad. We have a new Player! A female player, new to the system. She had a character idea, a twi'lek sneaky face. Which I informed her was pretty much the best way to use a twi'lek in this game. After some quick character creation, I asked her if she would like to be part of the Rebel Alliance, to which she said yes. I introduced her as the Rebel agent's contact. They met in a backwater agricultural town, in a cantina back room. There was some discussion, before the twi'lek (named Dia'Tooligan, she used a random generator for the name) slipped out to get confirmation on the new payment (hull, weapon, and hyperdrive modifications). Gozu, meanwhile, was with the engine outside, and was scanning every square inch of it. He was too busy to notice Vanndred entering the cantina; Dia did, though, but she didnt have time to do much before he opened the back room door and tossed in a grenade.

Much to the player's relief, it turned out to be a glop grenade, which failed to glop everybody fully. There was a short firefight, during which Vanndred proved that he was pretty damn tough, until he caught everybody in a second grenade. Meanwhile, Dia was calling for help from the Rebels. Gozu, at the first sign of trouble, fled for the ship and stated his intention of returning to Nar Shaddaa.

While the crew was glopped, only the trandoshans managed to get out by themselves the first time. Prova spent 5 character points, and broke out... and caught a stun bolt in her face for the trouble. Vanndred did the same for anybody else who put up a struggle, but also cut out enough of the glop for people to breath, before taking the engineer and slapping cuffs on him. He took him outside and strapped him to his speederbike (a heavily modified custom Mobquet Overracer he calls the Revenant). As he was pulling away, Mrrash had run outside, and took aim with his big ACP gun. He figured they had already achieved the Guild's statutes, and fired at the kid. Kid lived, fortunately, but he didn't know that.

Meanwhile, in space, Gozu was hailed by several Z-95 Headhunters (Rebels, of course). He refused to respond, and they opened fire. When Prova managed to get him on comms, he came back. Slowly. The player admitted he had overreacted, and apologized, but I said it was fine.

Since the Rebels had the airspace of the planet secured, Vanndred couldn't leave the planet. On top of that, Mrash said that the kid might be wounded. So the group took off. Well, I say 'the group', but Gozu and the Trandoshans decided to stay with the ship... at the rebel base. Halfway across the planet. They let Church, Prova, and Dia handle the search, starting at rural clinics and hospitals. They were at one, when the noticed the nurse who was at the desk was clearly frightened out of her mind (assuming correctly that Vanndred was at the clinic). The failed the bluff to sound nonchalant, and tried to leave.

When I build Vanndred, I gave him a lot of little tricks. Two of those are illegally hacked droid brains that he can order to control his bike and his ship. He activated the bike and had it secure the building; this encouraged the players to stay inside (except for Dia, who hid just outside the building). He decided to deal with his followers himself, and came out tossing another grenade. The people who were there took cover, but it turned out to be just a smoke grenade. He came out shooting, and caught Church. Church decided to lob one of his grenades (unusable as normal grenades, though I will fix that for him) at Vanndred's feet, while Prova fired a wrist laser at it to detonate it. While Vanndred survived the explosion, half the building collapsed on him. As Church and Prova were poring over the rubble, Vanndred burst out and grabbed Church by the throat: "No bounty is worth this." He demanded he be let free, and he would leave the kid and them alone. They agreed, and Dia agreed to contact Rebel command and let him escape.

After the repairs/upgrades/pay (which had been upped to 35,000) had been enacted, Dia asked to sign on. Unofficially, she was to be an Alliance contact/observer. They agreed to let her on the crew.

I think this session went MUCH better, which the players agreed with. Next session I want to bring up the Great Hunt I have planned.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, Ninjaxenomorph, your sessions sound like a lot of fun!

Dia sounds like a savvy character, and Vanndred like a worthy opponent (hopefully to be met again down the road).

None of it sounded to me like the PCs were being railroaded. It appeared that they chose the path themselves (firing on the stormtrooper, for instance). How was it an example of railroading?
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't open fire, one of my NPCs did. And I accidentally let on that I was planning that battle from the start, so it couldn't have been avoided.

Also, yes, Vanndred will show up in the future, hopefully at the Great Hunt. I'm going to post the stats for him and the other NPCs later today.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: