The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ever had a player peeved off for losing gear?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Ever had a player peeved off for losing gear? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Ever had a player peeved off for losing gear? Reply with quote

This past Friday at Origins during one of the modules i ran, one of the baddies was shooting at a PC who had actually hurt him (no one else up to then touched him). Now had i shot the player, the damage was close enough to have put the player at MW (with a 20M fall, potentially wounding him which would have pushed him to dead), so rather than that, i chose to call shot his weapon to destroy it, removing the chance of him hitting the weapon.
The player got so peeved i did that, when i asked would "you rather i have potentially killed your PC" he actually said yes?

So anyone had a situation like that crop up?
Did you give the player their wish?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urrrgh. I'd rather not go into too many details in a public forum, but yes. Sometimes players can get irrational about the game. The mentality I hear far to often is that it's a game, it's supposed to be fun. When things go from fun to frustrating, then the GM should have calibrated better.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what.. i should have just shot him and if he died, left that as is? Fudged so he didn't lose his weapon?
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The GM giveth, the GM taketh away."

variations of that have been said in our games since i started gaming.

i admit that on more than just a few occasions i have destroyed characters goods so they wouldnt die outright and that in and of itself caused the player(s) to whine about how hard it was to get said item(s). we had been banned from playing at some places because of how frequently the players would royally screw up a roll or ten.

which reminds me of something that i cant recall if its in the rules or not but we used a lot. the force point do over. that you can burn a force point to reroll any single roll youve made, but no farther back that 10 rolls. you dont get it back at the end its gone and you need to earn it again the hard way. no extra dice, no extra bonuses just a simple reroll. but and here the thing some dont like, the GM gets to reroll all affected rolls as well including the one that caused them to roll to begin with.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:

which reminds me of something that i cant recall if its in the rules or not but we used a lot. the force point do over. that you can burn a force point to reroll any single roll youve made, but no farther back that 10 rolls. you dont get it back at the end its gone and you need to earn it again the hard way. no extra dice, no extra bonuses just a simple reroll. but and here the thing some dont like, the GM gets to reroll all affected rolls as well including the one that caused them to roll to begin with.

Unless that was wrote in one of the adventure journals, it has never been an official rule.
But then again, equipment (well armor at least) Damage rules have existed since 1e days, in which your armor takes damage all the way up to destroyed if YOU take damage. Often it is overlooked by many DMs i have played SW under.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players getting irrational isn't the same thing as the game being too frustrating. Give him a chance to vent and cool down and see if he wants to keep playing.

You may need to remind them that a destroyed weapon inevitably leads to a quest to obtain or build a greater weapon. Consider reading Taran Wanderer, it's a kids' book, quick read and filled with heroic motifs and story ideas.

If it was a lightsaber that broke then the journey to forge another could be a great solo quest.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I've seen, a few times more than I like to admit, PCs becoming nothing more than the sum of their equipment. Attachment to whatever item--weapon, ship, armor, etc..--that basically takes the character over, as opposed to the bond Han Solo has with the Millenium Falcon, for example.
...Still, for a player to prefer character death over loss of a piece of gear seems pretty ridiculous. Next time, oblige him! Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a GM go out of his way to take my Jedi character's lightsaber on a technicality (fell into a pit trap with a mud pit at the bottom and he ruled that I lost my saber in the fall and couldn't find it). Considering how central a lightsaber is to a Jedi character's combat ability, plus how hard it is to replace, I was pretty peeved, and justifiably so, I think.

IMO, equipment shouldn't be more important than the character for the most part. By this, I mean that there are some exceptions, like a ship, a custom blaster pistol or a lightsaber that either always manage to find their way back to the character or are taken away as part of a story arc, with the potential for replacing it with something better.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...I've seen, a few times more than I like to admit, PCs becoming nothing more than the sum of their equipment. Attachment to whatever item--weapon, ship, armor, etc..--that basically takes the character over, as opposed to the bond Han Solo has with the Millenium Falcon, for example.
...Still, for a player to prefer character death over loss of a piece of gear seems pretty ridiculous. Next time, oblige him! Twisted Evil

During the Incident at Origins, i did mention next time if the situation came up again, i would not have had the Bad guy be so 'lienient'. And he would go for the kill shot vice neuter the weapon shot.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So what.. i should have just shot him and if he died, left that as is? Fudged so he didn't lose his weapon?

Well, I do feel your pain over a player acting the way you described. I think you as a GM made an appropriate call. You decided to apply damage to a piece of equipment. The idea was that there was a consequence based on the mechanics of the game. You applied this consequence to something that had impact on the character without damaging the character. This was to tell a better story and to keep the narrative moving.

This is what a good Star Wars GM should do. To have a player not understand that is appalling. Going so far as to say he would prefer his character was dead instead of losing his one piece of equipment. I assume it was a common blaster that could be replaced with something nearly as good, procured in short order. So his behavior was unwarranted.

Apparently he is not familiar with the Armor and Damaged Weapons section in R&E p.94-95. If you had applied these one of two things would have happened: 1) his armor would have been rendered useless until repaired and he would still have taken the damage or 2) his weapon (STR 2D) would have had to roll vs the amount of damage, 16+ it is destroyed.

I am a bit surprised you chose to take out his weapon. Not that I am second guessing you, but if he had been shot at, when making his Soak roll he could spend up to 5 Character Points to buff up his roll. Perhaps in the future you might go this route as opposed to taking out a piece of equipment, even if doing so puts the character as an even greater disadvantage than as you did in your example.

My personal take on this is your player was being a moron. No amount of logic or explanation will sway a dumb@ss from his "believed" right.

Equipment for the most part is just equipment and not really all that special. It should be relatively easy to replace with a like item. In the case of rare items, for example a lightsaber or bounty hunter armor, a little more thought should be taken before removing such an item from play.

Of course the loss of a rare item does several things: 1) it shows the player that its a dangerous universe, 2) allows for a roleplaying opportunity for the character to evolve and finally 3) makes for an interesting side trek adventure to replace the rate item. In my mind these are all good things.

I also thought of something else. Rare equipment increases in value if you play one-shots or have a character you play under multiple GMs. If a one-shot then the player feels as though something that was part of his character is missing and that it is less than it was. For a person playing under multiple GM's there is the fear that he will not have the opportunity to replace the item. Just food for thought.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) it was the first 'token' he got from his first bounty collected so it had some 'pride of the hunt' to it, and B it was modified by the person he took it from, so it was better than normal.
Hartbaine
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes players get worked up without thinking. While granted, some players are just plain immature (we've all dealt with them, I'm sure), most are usually just in a fit of frustration over the situation. Especially in D6, where the combat is brutal and one blaster shot will end your career. The goal is not to get hit first and secondly, hope that your armor will save the day if the unspeakable happens.

Try basic psychology next time, it's how I always do it. Basically, if they lose their temper, stop being the GM for a moment and simply give them the choice. Like in your scenario:

"Okay, you have options here. This shot will kill you, unfortunately. However, you may choose to have it take out your weapon instead. Your weapon will be destroyed, but you live. How do you want to handle it?"

Using 'unfortunately' makes you sympathetic to them. Make sure you phrase it with something close to you choose. This puts the ball in their court, taking the heat off you as the Evil Empire. 'How do you want to handle it?' makes everything their call. Just make sure you stick to your guns when they make the choice. It may take a few tantrums, but eventually the person will learn not to ape at the table.

You're not picking on them, and if they make the choice they don't like they will know they have no one to blame but themselves. The table will usually back you up as well. You will seem like a fair and lenient GM (you offer choices), and they will look like the bad guy, after all, they're the one throwing the tantrum. It's a common tactic and works on the smallest child up to the oldest adults.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartbaine wrote:
You will seem like a fair and lenient GM (you offer choices), and they will look like the bad guy, after all, they're the one throwing the tantrum. It's a common tactic and works on the smallest child up to the oldest adults.

First time someone has called me fair and lenient. Usually i am known as a killer DM.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever had a player peeved off for losing gear? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The player got so peeved i did that, when i asked would "you rather i have potentially killed your PC" he actually said yes?

So anyone had a situation like that crop up?
Did you give the player their wish?

In other words, "You destroyed my fictional character's fictional gear in a fictional world, so wah wah, I don't want to play with you anymore!" I get that even mature people can sometimes get a little caught up in the life of their fictional character, but c'mon, grow up dude.

garhkal, you probably handled that player better than I would have. Like we discussed in another thread, this exemplifies one of the pitfalls of convention gaming. If you pay, you play. There is nothing stopping any loser that no one else in the group knows from showing up and getting in the game. Reading this reminds me of the Sparks player who was whining about another PC's large bounties on his head putting his character in too much danger. This seems to come from a video game mentality where your goal is to defeat every villain and succeed at every challenge. All I can do is share my contrary perspective.

I feel that in any successful game group, the players and GM should all have the same exact goal. I see the point of role-playing being to tell an entertaining (interactive) story. Yes, what story aspects are interesting to each player may vary so my players are involved in basic campaign design by sharing what would they would like to see in the campaign and the GM incorporating everything he can into it.

Temporary PC setbacks like losing equipment, being captured or otherwise defeated by adversaries, and failing at encounters or occasionally even entire adventures is good for drama. All success and no failure makes a boring story. Players who can't look beyond their own PC to the big picture of the entertaining story have no place playing in my game.

Have I ever had a player peeved off for losing gear? Probably, but my first few SW groups were composed entirely of high school and junior high students. I know it's been a long time. I am very clear up front that I have no use for players being materialistic about a fictional character's fictional belongings in a fictional setting. A PC being upset about losing a possession in-character is one-thing, but if the player can't portray it with a smile on his face, then he is obviously not acting.

My next campaign will begin in media res where all the PCs are captured and on the verge of being executed by a gangster, with no weapons, equipment or credits - nothing other than the clothes on their backs. (After they get out of that, the basic equipment and weapons they need for the adventure will be provided for them.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hartbaine wrote:
You will seem like a fair and lenient GM (you offer choices), and they will look like the bad guy, after all, they're the one throwing the tantrum. It's a common tactic and works on the smallest child up to the oldest adults.

First time someone has called me fair and lenient. Usually i am known as a killer DM.

While Hartbaine's post had some excellent advice, it seemed pretty clear that the "you" he/she addressed was a general (generic) 'you', meaning a GM who offers choices (as per the post).

So nobody was calling you "fair and lenient", I don't believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: