The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rebel Alliance: Medals, honors and commendations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Rebel Alliance: Medals, honors and commendations Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Rebel Alliance: Medals, honors and commendations Reply with quote

Yo, fellow Rebs and Imps! Laughing

I'm an avid fan of the X-WING-games, Stackpole's Rogue Squadron-books and comics and the whole general mood that goes with being a starfighter pilot. There is just something about strapping yourself into a mean machine and blasting things out of the stars...

Anyway, I've found that players really like it when they get medals and stuff pinned to their uniforms. It gives them a sense of accomplishment other than credits and other material stuff. When they look at a medal or ribbon, they go: "Oh, I remember how I got this... the Greater Corellian Offensive... oh, you weren't there? Well, that was some furball, lemme tell ya..."

The thing is, even though I've played the games and read the books, I don't know nearly half of any of the medals the Rebel Alliance issues and I have no idea what a particular medal stands for or what they look like.
I mean, the "Star of Alderaan" is the greatest medal awarded for action for the Rebel Alliance. But the "Corellian Cross"? I don't know what it's for and I don't know what it looks like!

What it boils down to is this:
-First, does anybody have a list (doesn't have to be complete) of medals and commendations issued by the Rebel Alliance? Also, what they stand for?
-Second, does anybody have pictures of these medals and commendations?

I eagerly anticipate your answers and posts... Twisted Evil
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel Alliance: Medals, honors and commendations Reply with quote

Jace_Terrik wrote:

The thing is, even though I've played the games and read the books, I don't know nearly half of any of the medals the Rebel Alliance issues and I have no idea what a particular medal stands for or what they look like.
I mean, the "Star of Alderaan" is the greatest medal awarded for action for the Rebel Alliance. But the "Corellian Cross"? I don't know what it's for and I don't know what it looks like!

What it boils down to is this:
-First, does anybody have a list (doesn't have to be complete) of medals and commendations issued by the Rebel Alliance? Also, what they stand for?
-Second, does anybody have pictures of these medals and commendations?

Actually, according to the X-wing Strategy Guide, the highest possible medal the Alliance awards would appear to be the Kalidor Crescent with Diamond Eyes upgrade, at least for the Starfighter Corps. The strategy guide only lists four meadals the Alliance awards, the Corellian Cross, The Mantooine Medallion, the Star of Alderaan, and the Kalidor Crescent. The first three appear to be awarded for the first three tours of duty in X-wing respectively while the Kalidor Crescent is awarded to pilots for heroic and extraordinary achivements. The description for each of the meadals are as follows, from pages 56-57 of the X-wing Strategy Guide:

Quote:
First Tour:
The Corellian Cross

This award commemorates the signing of the Corellian Treaty which marks the effective birth of the Alliance. By unifying three independent resistance groups under this treaty, our leader, Mon Mothma, forged the initial structure of the Alliance and set in motion the downfall of the Emperor.

Second Tour:
The Mantooine Medallion

This award commemorates the courage of the resistance and freedom fighters on the planet Mantooine. Their bold attack on an Imperial outpost set an example for many other resistance groups. Subsequently decimated at the hands of the Empire, they were instrumental in convincing other resistance leaders to pool their forces and join the Alliance.

Third Tour:
The Star of Alderaan

This award commemorates the role played by the peace-loving planet Alderaan and its leader, Bail Organa, in creating the structure of our Rebel Alliance. Even when a Senator, Organa risked his life to plot rebellion with Mon Mothma. His contribution cannot be overemphasized. Neither can the example set by the once warlike citizens of Alderaan who have rebuilt their society based on peace and equality of all races.

The Kalidor Crescent
Named for the famed winged predator from the planet Davnar, this award commemorates the unparalleled grace and power of the Kalidor. No more perfect flying creature has been found within the Galaxy. Its spectacular aerial manuevers and unerring acuracy symbolize our aspirations as starfighter pilots.

The Kalidor Crescent is awarded to pilots for heroic and extraordinary achievements during their Tours of Duty. It rewards exceptional feats of bravery and skill, and is the most prestigious award given to pilots in the Rebel Alliance. Recipients of this medal are looked upon with great respect and are universally granted celebrity status among their peers. There are five upgraded classes of this medal for those who continue to distinguish themselves beyond the call of duty.

Kalidor Crescent Upgraded Awards
    Bronze Cluster
    Silver Talons
    Silver Scimitar
    Golden Wings
    Diamond Eyes

The upgrades are listed in the order of importance. As for the others, the game, as I said earlier, appears to award them for completeing the first three ToDs (unless you don't have the two X-wing add ons Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing, in which case there are only three ToDs).

Wanted Poster
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kalidor Crescent requires a pilot to destroy 20 enemy fighters in one engagement; same for the upgrades.
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks you guys! Smile

But, ummm... so why are they given out for? I mean, Kalidor Crescent, yeah, that's clear, for "heroic and extraordinary achievements". But the Star of Alderaan, why would someone be given that?

Any info on where I might find pics of these?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the game, only the Kalidor Crescent and it's upgrades is explainned why it's given out and how the player recieves it. The other three are not given any points as to how one goes about earning them, so it looks more and more likely that in the game they are hadned out for completeing the first three ToDs.

As for in the game X-wing how one recieves the Kalidor Crescent and it's upgrades, it's not about number of ships shot down in a single mission, but number of points racked up in a single mission. The main medal is awarded in game for earning 10,000 points in one mission. The points then increase by 2,000 with each of the upgrades for a single mission, the Diamond Eyes requiring 20,000 points for a single mission. However, that is just for X-wing, other games may have other requirements if they award the Kalidor Crescent and it's upgrades.

Also, I believe after the first mission in Dark Forces Mon Mothma awards some medal to Kyle Katarn, which you could check out what it is and maybe figure out from that mission what it's awarded for.

Corellian characters could also be awared the Corellian Bloodstripes, which are awarded by the Corellian government to folks who have served within the Corellian military and have distinguished themselves through brave and heroic deeds. However, we've discussed the bloodstripes in TheForce.Net's lit forum and someone mentioned there may be more than one level of bloodstripes that allow them to be awarded more than once. As Han was awarded the bloodstripes while he was serving in the Imperial military, it would seem that the award became awarded to any Corellian who serves in military service.

Wanted Poster
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this stuff may be of some help.

Quote:
Alvace Star
this Alliance medal of honor was given to those pilots who managed to lead their teams out of dangerous situations.

Civilian Battle Award
this medal of honor was given by the Alliance to those non-military personnel who performed above and beyond the call of duty, in the assistance of the Alliance's war effort.

Corellian Bloodstripes
this Corellian award is represented by a three-centimeter-wide broken stripe if piping that runs along the outer seam of a pair of trousers. There are two levels of bloodstripe awarded. The Second-level bloodstripe is gold, and is rarely given out. The First-level bloodstripe is red, and is usually awarded posthumously because of the heroic deeds required to earn it. Most bloodstripes are earned for courage under fire. The wearer, though, is often recognized for simply being a human in the right place at the right time, enduring unusual hardships. The wearer is by no means a superhero. Han Solo is one of the few examples of a living Corellian who has earned First-level bloodstripes. He earned his Second-level bloodstripes for rescuing Chewbacca; he has never disclosed the reason he was awarded the First-level bloodstripes. He prefers to wear the yellow stripes, so as not to receive inquiries on them.

Crescent of Valor
this award was presented by the Alliance to those personnel who perform with bravery and valor while under fire. The medal is an embossed crescent upon a field of stars, suspended from a blue ribbon.

Cross Crosslet
this award was presented by the Alliance to those individuals whose actions while under fire far exceeded the normal standards of bravery and valor. In 45% of all cases, the Cross Crosslet was awarded posthumously. The medal itself was a gold cross embossed on a platinum background.

Field Achievement Award
this medal was given to all members of the Alliance who survive their first mission into Imperial-controlled territory.

Kenobi Medallion
this award, presented by the Alliance, was bestowed upon those individuals who sacrificed everything for the elimination of the New Order. Thus, the award was only given posthumously. Jek Porkins was one of the first recipients of the award, for his heroic actions in the Battle of Yavin.

Medal of Alderaan
developed by an Alderaanian survivor and first awarded to Luke Skywalker and Han Solo in the wake of the Battle of Yavin, this medallion was commissioned by the Alliance to honor those beings who displayed exceptional bravery and heroism in battle.

Nebula Award
this award was given by the Alliance to those military and special forces members who displayed uncompromising loyalty and unswerving bravery in the face of imminent danger.

Platinum Valor Cross
this was one of the most distinguished medals awarded to Alliance officers.

Rohal Cross
this distinguished award was given by the Alliance to those beings who displayed unusual levels of valor and bravery during a mission.

Superior Service Medal
this basic award was bestowed by the Alliance to individuals who continued to excel in the ongoing battle against the Empire. It was a simple medal, with the Alliance symbol hung from a red and blue ribbon.

Trand Medallion
this was one of the most distinguished awards given to the personnel of the Alliance.

True Gunner
the highest Alliance award given to starship gunners.

Usos Cluster
this medal, awarded by the Alliance, signified extreme valor in battle.

I got them here and they have other awards that might intrest you. Though I tried to list most of the Alliance medals they list in addition to listing the Corellian Bloodstripes.

Wanted Poster
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks alot!!! Very Happy

Uh, about Kyle Katarn in "Dark Forces": He was awarded the Star of Alderaan by Mon Mothma upon completion of the game, meaning that he'd blasted apart a few Imperial bases, and an Imperial ship called the Arc Hammer... uh, oh yeah, and he single-handedly foiled the "Dark Trooper"-project...

All for the sake of one measly medal... well, at least he can go "yup, I remember how I earned this medal... let me tell you, I blasted a lot of stormtroopers to get this here medal...." Smile
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that in real life that the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Victoria Cross are both just "One measly medal" as well.

Here's a few I've had ideas for:

Mentioned in Data-Feeds: No medal, just an addition to the person's record (And bragging rights in the barrack rooms.). The individual did a task worthy of being included in the Rebel Alliance's Data-Feeds. Occasionally a pre-requisite for other awards.

Signalman's Patch: Lapel patch of a transmission dish. Issued to soldiers that have cross-trained with comm equipment (Communications of 4D or above).

Sensor Operator's Patch: Lapel patch of a sensor tower. Issued to soldiers that have cross-trained with sensor equipment (Sensors of 4D or above).

Rocketeer's Patch: Lapel patch of a rocket pack. Issued to soldiers that have cross-trained with rocket or jet packs (Rocket Pack Operation or Jet Pack Operation of 4D or above).

Marksman's Badge: Round shoulder patch of a red bullseye on a black background. Issued to soldiers who rank "Marksman" with a blaster rifle (Blaster or Blaster: Rifle of 5D or above). Pre-Requisite to Sniper Training.

Gray Stripes: Gray stripe sewen into the cuffs of the BDU. Issued to ground troops that have cross-trained with spacebourne vechicles (Eg. Landing Craft and Freighters).

The Cargo Crate: A cargo crate suspended from a red ribbon. Issued to Rebel soldiers and allied personel who are able to liberate a large supply of war material. There are four levels, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Gold with Diamond Clusters. Bronze is for Small Arms and Droids, Silver for Vechicles and Heavy Weapons, Gold for Starships (Be they fighters or freighters), and Gold with Diamond Clusters for capital ships. Additional issuings are indicated by small pins attached to the supporting ribbon (Up to a maximum of 3 additional.). It has never been officially accepted by the New Republic, and soldiers have been punished for wearing them while in dress uniforms for being "Out of uniform".

Crossed Vibroblades: Shoulder Patch. Issued to soldiers that entered melee combat and survived.

Death's Head: Stylized Stormtrooper Helmet supported by a black ribbon. Issued to enlisted men who recieve a "Death Mark" from the Empire in direct responce to a mission they preformed for the Rebel Alliance. Acknowledged by the New Republic, but no longer issued.

Clonetrooper Helmet: Stylized earily Clonetrooper Helmet supported by a black ribbon. Issued to enlisted men who perform their duty with apparent disreguard for their own lives. Issued by a NCO as opposed to a commissioned officer, and is meant to be as much an award as a warning. Additional issuings are smaller pins attached to the ribbon (Two additional awards are given, then the person in question is either transfered to a non-combat position, or is honourably discharged.). Not recognised by the New Republic, and, when able to, they discharge individuals who have been awarded this medal.

Blue Lightsabre: Pin of a Lightsabre with a blue blade. Issued to soldiers by Luke Skywalker after the Battle of Endor for "Extraordinary Duties in the field". Created by High Command to furthur provide "proof" that the Jedi are returning. Recognised by the New Republic, but no longer issued.

Green Lightsabre: Pin of a Lightsabre with a green blade. Issued after the Battle of Endor by any Jedi to soldiers who perform a duty to support the newly formed Jedis. Issued to Civilians or Soldiers who are able to find Jedi artifacts, or assist Jedi in battle. Handed out by the cartful during the Yuzzhan-Vong incident.

Mon Calimari Cross: Aquamarine cross supported by a light blue ribbon. Issued to soldiers and customs agents who go above and beyond the call of duty to suppress illegal activities, particularily against smugglers hindering the Rebel Alliance/New Republish or supporting the Imperial Remnant.

Camaasi Clover: Bright green clover pin. Issued upon completing a potentially dangerous mission without having to resort to violence (Including the useage of explosives.).

Imperial Durasteel Cross: A Durasteel Cross with the Imperial insignia engraved in the centre, set in the centre of a white ribbon which is worn as a collar. Originally issued for duty above and beyond the call of duty to Army and Navy Troopers. Later, was also issued to non-Imperial personel who supported the war against the Yuzzhan-Vong.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockers and patches are certainly a good idea to keep Spec-Force troopies happy if they aren't getting many other tangible rewards in a campaign. I mean, how rich does one get working for the New Republic?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if you're a Quartermaster or not. Wink
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace_Terrik wrote:

Uh, about Kyle Katarn in "Dark Forces": He was awarded the Star of Alderaan by Mon Mothma upon completion of the game, meaning that he'd blasted apart a few Imperial bases, and an Imperial ship called the Arc Hammer... uh, oh yeah, and he single-handedly foiled the "Dark Trooper"-project...

Yeah, I found out I was wrong hours after I said that. Just loaded Dark Forces onto my computer and played the first evel for the first time since the late '90s. Right now I'm having problems with trying to configure the music and the fact that the bottom of the screen during game play looks terrible, what with all the pixels jumping about. Windows 95 game on an XP computer and the game isn't looking as great as it used to on older comps. At least I wasn't expecting it to look like Jedi Outcast in terms of graphics.

Still, we can get a better idea what the Star of Alderaan is for. In X-wing it looks like it's handed out after you complete the third ToD, The Gathering Storm, which ends with the Battle of Yavin. Kyle gets it for putting an end to the Dark Trooper threat. Both the Death Star and the Dark Troopers can be viewed in their own ways as superweapons, and both were certainly great threats. And the X-wing Strategy Guide in it's write up on the Star of Alderaan goes on and on about Alderaan being a peace loving world, as well as it's society deicated to peace and equality of all races. So perhaps it's awarded to those who have helped to defeat a terrible threat to peace and equallity.

I mean, look at page 25 of the strategy guide. Pages 17-34 are the Alliance pamphlet A Call to Reason, and the first three paragraphs on page 25 deal with the Empire's spreading racism. If racism totally splits all sentients apart, then can they ever be able to even try to gain an equal voice in the galactic community? That seems to suggest to suggest that equality would be important enough to factor into the awarding of some medal. And looking at the two games in which it's awarded, maybe what I said earlier isn't far off.

Wanted Poster
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got one out of Rules of Engagement, though it's a New Republic medal rather than an Alliance medal. Don't know if you're intrested, or if you're even still looking for anythings on medals and awards any more, but here it is:

Quote:
The Coruscant Star of Valor

In the period following the Battle of Endor, the New Republic created this award, the highest it bestows on military personnel. It is intended to reflect the bravery of the soldiers and pilots who siezed Coruscant from the Empire.

Rules of Engagement has a section towards the end of the book on awards and decorations, three of them I mentioned above (Cross Crosslet, Crescent of Valor, and Superior Service Medal). It also mentions a medal called the Redbird. Think of it as the Alliance's, and probably later as the New Republic's, Purple Heart. It's a small red pin in the shape of the insignia of the Alliance that's awarded for being injured in the line of duty.

Wanted Poster
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also award "campaign ribbons" and "mission ribbons" as well as ribbons of merit, ribbons of valor, ribbons of heroism. These are all valid military awards in real world armed forces. Where Medals usually represent a greater degree of said trait (As a Medal of Heroism would represent extreme and outstanding heroism in the face of danger) ribbons can be awarded for lesser, yet still significant acts. Campaign Ribbons and Medals tend to be specific to a given military campaign, operation, or mission. Some things Ribbons and Medals are/could be awarded for:
•Service •Duty
•Merit •Acomplishment
•Valor • Conduct
•Honor • Sacrifice
•Duty • Initiative
•Excellance • Leadership
•Courage • Ingenuity
•Heroism
Some common types/terms used in awards:
• Ribbon • Cross
• Leaf • Cluster
• Star • Pin
• Crescent • Tassel
• Sash • Trim
• Stripe • Chevron
• Stone • Jewel
Also, use descriptives such as color, material, etc.
Specialized military units, or those with specialized training may have special tags, ribbons, patches, etc... to reflect their abilities. Then there are all of the markings of rank (yes, rank can be an award too).

Feel free to mix, match, and expand upon this. There are a variey of possible awards and ribbons. Typically, Ribbons and Medals bearing a specific name are given for a very specific reason or set of circumstances. Otherwise, the awards tend to be somewhat more "generic". A campaign award or ribbon should be given to a trooper/character that participates in a specific military campaign, mission, or even a certain battle (For example an Battle Of Endor ribbon, or a Battle Of Yavin ribbon).
Have fun, and explore.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it, but what about the things from the army navy of earth?

Purple heart
medal of honor
etc.. etc...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
I didn't see it, but what about the things from the army navy of earth?

Purple heart
medal of honor
etc.. etc...

My last post I already mentioned the Alliance/NR version of the Purple Heart, it's called the Redbird. And since most CMoHs are awarded posthumously, I'd guesss the closest would be the Kenobi Medallion. However, the Kalidor Crescent might also come close.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: