The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Repo men
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Repo men Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Repo men Reply with quote

Recently someone suggested (on our sparks yahoo group) that there should be some sort of "Repo agent" template, with specific focuses for say house/ship/bank accounts etc..

What sort of attribute spread would you say one of these agents has?
What skills?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Wars version of a repo man is called a Skip Tracer (see Spray from the Brian Daley Han Solo Trilogy).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your interpretation is too narrow. The skip tracer may be seeking a person to repay a debt, but as with a repo man, the debt is often in the form of collateral, like a speeder or a ship. Spray was very specifically trying to break into the Falcon when no one was around, and when Chewie cornered him, he specifically stated that the ship was on the Red List, not Han or Chewie.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Zarn. If you made up a template for PC's to use, what additional skills would you list for them (besides the ones you put dow for that quick example)?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So Zarn. If you made up a template for PC's to use, what additional skills would you list for them (besides the ones you put dow for that quick example)?

Well, playing it straight (and semi-legal, in the sense that we're not talking about a thief, and we're talking about a person that's in a grey area when it comes to legality rather than outright using force to grab whatever they're looking for), and keeping in mind that one can roll directly against an attribute, here's a list of skills I think are appropriate for a repo man (2nd ed, not revised as I recall, taken mostly from the top of my head):

DEX
- Dodge
KNO
- Bureaucracy
- Business
- Cultures
- Intimidation
- Law Enforcement
- Planetary Systems
- Streetwise
- Value
MEC
- any drive or pilot skill relevant to chosen specialty
PER
- Bargain
- Forgery
- Investigation
- Sneak
STR
TEC
- any repair skill relevant to chosen specialty
- Computer Programming / Repair (due to their ubiquitousness)
- Droid Programming (due to their ubiquitousness)
- Security

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This individual might not have any specialties at all, and therefore would require skill in all the various general piloting/driving/repair options. I also very strongly agree with high Security dice, because they're gonna need to be able to overcome any security obstacles put in place by the individual owning the property. It's amazing how much money some people will put into keeping vehicles/property that they're not willing to actually pay for.

It might not be a bad idea for this character to have a droid of some kind, perhaps something almost along the lines of an espionage droid, to take some of the burden of lacking skill dice in certain areas. And when I say 'espionage droid,' I'm thinking of the R-series astromech droid conversion I've seen somewhere. I know it's not in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, because I just looked it up. However, I know I've seen the stats in one of the sourcebooks; I just can't remember which one. Seems to me such a droid would serve much better as an espionage droid then the actual 'espionage droid' listed in Cynabar's Droids book.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Well, playing it straight (and semi-legal, in the sense that we're not talking about a thief, and we're talking about a person that's in a grey area when it comes to legality rather than outright using force to grab whatever they're looking for), and keeping in mind that one can roll directly against an attribute, here's a list of skills I think are appropriate for a repo man (2nd ed, not revised as I recall, taken mostly from the top of my head):

DEX
- Dodge
KNO
- Bureaucracy
- Business
- Cultures
- Intimidation
- Law Enforcement
- Planetary Systems
- Streetwise
- Value
MEC
- any drive or pilot skill relevant to chosen specialty
PER
- Bargain
- Forgery
- Investigation
- Sneak
STR
TEC
- any repair skill relevant to chosen specialty
- Computer Programming / Repair (due to their ubiquitousness)
- Droid Programming (due to their ubiquitousness)
- Security

Nice rundown. Though why forgery?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I'm glad you asked!

To my mind, the act of doing repossession itself is legal. So you should have some legal documentation stating that, and hence not need a Forgery skill?

Well, it's not that cut and dry. The old saw about possession being 9/10ths of the law is to my mind probably true in this case. In the case of, say, Imperial law versus local law, you might get all sorts of jurisdictional silliness. If you need to forge some local papers in some two-credit system you're probably not going to return to, you might want to do that - essentially breaking local law but not Imperial law in order to get what you're after.

There might be all sorts of local stuff. The local crime cartel uses specific tokens or a particular document type to gain access to a warehouse, perhaps run by a (somewhat) innocent third party? Forgery can make the process easier, and may be less inconspicuous than using Security.

You need paperwork to 'prove' ownership of whatever it is you've just liberated (again, in accordance with Imperial law, but perhaps not local law)? Forgery. You need a specific license in order to legally drive whatever you don't have a license for? Forgery.

So, even though two Wongs won't make a Wight (terrible attempt at a pun, I know), you may be breaking local ordinance through Forgery (usually it's not legal to forge any papers...) in an attempt to at least put up the appearance of proper papers and due process.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that last example you gave, Forgery would give the repo man a chance to detect a forgery, thus saving him from being so tricked.

Theoretically, he should only be getting his contracts from established institutions, though, which ought to make WAYYY less likely he'd get duped...
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, there's the CYA aspect of the thing. If someone comes to you and presents paperwork 'proving' that whatever you're looking for is eligible for repossession, how do you check that you're not left holding the bag as it were when it turns out you were tricked into stealing from a Hutt crime lord? (That might be the scenario where the PC repo man realizes where his next 15-20 CP should go...)

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not liking the absence of combat skills. A skip tracer may have official backing, but that isn't much protection in the relatively lawless atmosphere of the SWU. Dodge just won't be enough.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
garhkal wrote:

(Stuff removed)

I'm glad you asked!

To my mind, the act of doing repossession itself is legal. So you should have some legal documentation stating that, and hence not need a Forgery skill?

Well, it's not that cut and dry. The old saw about possession being 9/10ths of the law is to my mind probably true in this case. In the case of, say, Imperial law versus local law, you might get all sorts of jurisdictional silliness. If you need to forge some local papers in some two-credit system you're probably not going to return to, you might want to do that - essentially breaking local law but not Imperial law in order to get what you're after.

There might be all sorts of local stuff. The local crime cartel uses specific tokens or a particular document type to gain access to a warehouse, perhaps run by a (somewhat) innocent third party? Forgery can make the process easier, and may be less inconspicuous than using Security.

You need paperwork to 'prove' ownership of whatever it is you've just liberated (again, in accordance with Imperial law, but perhaps not local law)? Forgery. You need a specific license in order to legally drive whatever you don't have a license for? Forgery.

So, even though two Wongs won't make a Wight (terrible attempt at a pun, I know), you may be breaking local ordinance through Forgery (usually it's not legal to forge any papers...) in an attempt to at least put up the appearance of proper papers and due process.

That sounds to me more like you are pushing them as being criminals, stealing stuff using forgery to "prove ownership" than actually serving the law. I could easily see an official repo person losing his license to practice if they ever got caught forging something.

Quote:

And, there's the CYA aspect of the thing. If someone comes to you and presents paperwork 'proving' that whatever you're looking for is eligible for repossession, how do you check that you're not left holding the bag as it were when it turns out you were tricked into stealing from a Hutt crime lord? (That might be the scenario where the PC repo man realizes where his next 15-20 CP should go...)

That is the only reason i could see them having forgery, to recognize fake paperwork shown to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: