The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Medical Sourcebook Front Cover Image Poll
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Medical Sourcebook Front Cover Image Poll Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cover for the Medical Sourcebook?
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkTlZYUnlsZHpPcUczdDJld29PV3ltcEtEXzN3/edit (by KeldorKatarn)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkbndGcjd1SGtxbE0/edit (by TyCaine)
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkTjgyZjZZdGkxZUk/edit (by TyCaine)
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Another option entirely...
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Medical Sourcebook Front Cover Image Poll Reply with quote

Both KeldorKatarn and myself (TyCaine) have created cover images for the Medical Sourcebook by Luwingo_Spince

We're requesting feedback from the community on which you all think would best grace the cover of Luwingo's project, as Luwingo is happy with either of them and would appreciate feedback.

Please vote and let us know! There is no wrong answer! Smile

So you can click the links:

Option 1 by KeldorKatarn: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkTlZYUnlsZHpPcUczdDJld29PV3ltcEtEXzN3/edit

Option 2 by TyCaine: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkbndGcjd1SGtxbE0/edit

Option 3 by TyCaine: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hbaKpCdGGkTjgyZjZZdGkxZUk/edit

T.C.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY.. I see you took my suggestion to make this a poll! I wonder if the powers that be on the SWRPGNETWORK holonet, would have an issue with this getting cross-posted there.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fighting between 2 and 3. I like the GENERAL design of #1, but the focus of the picture is... well... a little off.

Actually the focus is on Luke's bulge. Kinda not the thing you want to call front and center when you're proposing cybernetic enhancements.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like aspects of several.
I agree with cheshire, that the resolution for the picture seems a bit off to me. I like the background cover of Keldor's, but the font seems a little off. I also did not notice Luke's man bulge until your mentioned it.

If I could do it any way, I would take the layout & background of Keldor's with the 21-B picture from Ty Caine's, and the font from Ty Caine's. That to me would look the closest to an "Official" source book cover.

I liked the Hyperfield Starscape for the one you did, but for the medical book it just feels too busy. I think doing the solid color cover is the way to go for this book.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts were exactly the same as cheshire (so I laughed when I read it after voting for #2). Smile
KeldorKatarn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I see.... Ty Caine....please delete my entry Smile
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, your image is still good work. Far better than anything I could do!
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would like a collage style image for the sourcebook more than just a square image. The hyperspace background feels like a bit of a cop out and doesn't fit stylistically with the other sourcebook covers.

Maybe the medical frigate, bacta tank, 2-1B, FX droid, etc.

(something more like this)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

of course, that's one of those 'who's going to bell THAT cat' given the difficulties and complexity of doing a collage style cover.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on which sourcebooks you're looking at, some of the second edition are solid color covers with a single picture in the middle (example: Imperial Sourcebook solid black, Rebel Sourcebook solid white) or color gradients with a single picture in the middle (most of the second edition Galaxy Guides), or pictures that cover the entire front cover (Platt's Smugglers Guide, Rules of Engagement).

There's a lot of diversity between the covers...

As for the starfield, that was something that was thought of for one or two of the fan books put together by the G+ Community (myself included), so I just went with it as kind of the latest generation of fan made books, keeping things in the same theme.

Can I change out the starfield for a solid color or gradient, or do a full cover image to match the bulk of the sourcebooks? sure, easily enough done.

Can I do a collage...? maybe, as you mentioned not as easily done, after all the image you showed was a collage crafted together as a single image at time of creation, 'easier' than trying to mash disparate images together after the fact.

Either way Keldor and myself put out images for Luwingo to use if he wanted, and we're willing to tweak if needed. if anyone else can do better, then that's great too as our primary goal is for Luwingo to have an image he is happy with for the sourcebook he worked so hard on.

so, cop out? not really... but everyone's entitled to their opinion...

T.C.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cop out is the wrong phrase. I think I just prefer a stationary star field background.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the three options, I prefer Keldor's center photo choice, but I like TyCaine's background / border choice.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that I think a static starfield would be more appealing than a hyperspace zoom (it just seems too busy).

What I think would be fun is to have all the rancorpit sourcebooks have the same aesthetic but with a different image. In this case, they would all have the same background and font, but different image.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me as another that would prefer a more static starfield, if it's not too much trouble to change it (or to make a solid background).

I also concur with Dromdarr, that it might be cool to have a similar aesthetic for all Rancor Pit books.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this template as a Photoshop PSD file, so it's easy enough to change out, and I can also create more covers if people want or need them using the same template and different center images so that we all have the same style.

If others don't want to go through the trouble of creating their own obviously. Smile

So is there a consensus?

Solid color? which color?
Static starfield? Anyone have an image they'd like to see?

And for the Medical book, what's the take on that one?

T.C.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to preview a the same covers that have the hyperspace field, but with a star field instead.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: