The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Next Tactics for the Empire?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Next Tactics for the Empire? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Next Tactics for the Empire? Reply with quote

Some of you might have read about the Empire's recent pummeling of my PCs (per the most recent post).

It was fun to hear the players speculate, as we wrapped the session. There's so many options for what the Imperials might do now:

Send down TIE bombers?
Deploy ground troops (snowtroopers?)
Wait until the Dark Jedi/Inquisitor hunting the party arrives?

What sort of ideas can you suggest?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that - as per this thread - the PCs could really use a win (or at least a minor victory).
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to me, 9 out of 10 times the worst thing to do in combat (if you have momentum and do not need to regroup and refit or solidify your gains) is to hesitate. So I'd lean toward that being the better way to give your party a fighting chance.

That said, an Inquisitor could again over balance the scenario. It will depend on how you play that part of it. However, it may behoove the party to make their move before the Dark User arrives.

Oh yeah. Just why can't the party make it into Hyperspace? Is there something big going on or is it just the Interdictor?

If it is just and Interdictor ... it should be fairly easy to 'help' the players shoot the gap and escape just as the Dark User arrives.

For specifics - seeing that the players' ship(s) are beat up, and that there is a debris field in orbit of the planet - you could make a mini adventure of the players getting repair parts from the wreckage of a ship or 2 that had crash-landed there before, have them repair their damaged ship(s). Then - as you have a Jedi - have him see a vision of 3 snakes attacking a mongoose, then 2 of the snakes attack each other so the mongoose can escape. That will give them an idea of using the Imperial ships against themselves (getting a Star Destroyer to fire and hit the Interdictor, or the interdictor to engage it's gravity wells too close to a SD) Have fun with that ... 8)

Forgive all spelling errors.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let them catch a break by allowing a swarm of meteors (akin to the Leonids) approach, confusing sensors and stuff for a little while. .... Then, they might be able to boost past as all the TIE fighters return to their hangar and combat shields are boosted to weather the inclement space weather.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they think to use sensors to find out why they were being blocked from going into hyperspace? If not, perhaps the jedi gets a force vision, hinting to that, so they can perhaps (good enough sensors roll) locate where the grav well projectors are being set up to block, then tactics roll(s) to weed out a route through it. BUT since they are on a planet, the GWPs will more than likely get powered down, so they won't have that issue to worry about for now.

For the Imps. Perhaps the captain starts doing sensor sweeps with tie scouts, to "Smoke" them out, all the while using comms (open broadcast in the planet's direction they are on) to taunt them, hoping the party takes the bait and breaks radio silence.
OR he could have his ISD's sensors track the Nova burst down , to find where they are hiding, and bombard the area, hoping to spew enough of a debris field up, they can't fly out.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Let them catch a break by allowing a swarm of meteors (akin to the Leonids) approach, confusing sensors and stuff for a little while. .... Then, they might be able to boost past as all the TIE fighters return to their hangar and combat shields are boosted to weather the inclement space weather.

I like that too! Inclement space weather ... As a weather guy (retired there of ) that calls out to me & I can't believe I didn't think of it Smile

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, fellas! Just to be clear, too, the space debris (from a Loronar medium transport just like theirs) was just outside Bandomeer (the planet they just left). Now they're on a remote ice planet (that I named Xindor).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the incliment space weather just happens to crop up idea.. sounds a little to hammy for me.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized, as I just reread this thread, that I never answered lurker's question (or garhkal's).

They couldn't make it into hyperspace because of the Interdictor, and they never thought to confirm that. The Jedi attempted to use Instinctive Astrogation, but when he did so the Force told him that Hyperspace wasn't there! The player figured it was an Interdictor (and that got brought up at the table), but his Jedi character (who was in suspended animation for millennia, so has no idea what an Interdictor is) has no idea what's causing their current dilemma.

I suspect they'll discuss things first. And I think I'll let them stew for a minute.

I think I'll have TIE Scouts search for them, with the taunting communications, then have a meteor swarm come by a little later (that they can take advantage of, if they choose to).

Thanks again for all the great ideas, all! Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have scouts and all sorts of sensor activity up, how will the imperials be surprised by the meteor swarm sufficiently to allow an 'opening' for someone to slip through?
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I realized, as I just reread this thread, that I never answered lurker's question ...

They couldn't make it into hyperspace because of the Interdictor, and they never thought to confirm that. The Jedi attempted to use Instinctive Astrogation, but when he did so the Force told him that Hyperspace wasn't there! The player figured it was an Interdictor (and that got brought up at the table), but his Jedi character (who was in suspended animation for millennia, so has no idea what an Interdictor is) has no idea what's causing their current dilemma.

I think I'll have TIE Scouts search for them, with the taunting communications, then have a meteor swarm come by a little later (that they can take advantage of, if they choose to).

Thanks again for all the great ideas, all! Very Happy

Oh, I forgot your Jedi had been asleep that long, makes sense now ...

Quote:

If they have scouts and all sorts of sensor activity up, how will the imperials be surprised by the meteor swarm sufficiently to allow an 'opening' for someone to slip through?

You could always play it as the Imps and their scouts are so busy looking for the players' ship that they neglect to scan the space around the moon and therefore miss the chuncks of rock that the planet/moon is heading toward ...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still sounds hammy..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the problem with the Imperials being aware of a massive meteor shower headed their way? It's not like they can do much to stop it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that they are unable to do anything about it, its more that Lurker seems to want to make it that they are Unaware of it. Well it seems so to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: