The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Miniatures game by FFG: "Armada" Fleet Battles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> New Miniatures game by FFG: "Armada" Fleet Battles Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: New Miniatures game by FFG: "Armada" Fleet Battles Reply with quote

Fantasy Flight Games just released a preview of their upcoming Star Wars fleet battles game, "Armada".

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4979

I am extremely excited for this game. It looks like the game I've been waiting for my whole life.

It would also be cool to use in conjunction with our D6 games, to make capital ship combat faster and more exciting.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Dromdarr. That looks awesome! I wish very much it came with a black starfield to use for a board, as I haven't been able to find a good one for less than an arm and a leg. The miniatures game is supposed to have tiles soon, but we're still waiting on those.

This looks like it could be incredible for integrating with the RPG! 8)
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good chance I'll be modifying a table permanently for a black starfield - sand it down, paint it black, sprinkle some stuff over it, and then put some acrylic over the entire surface. I'm currently eyeing a couple of second hand stores close to me for an appropriate startpoint, or I might have to go dumpster diving or something.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some cool how-to's out there if you Google making a starfield, Zarn. Lots of great ways like painting it black, then laying down a sheet with holes cut in it, then spray painting with white. Best of luck with your endeavor!
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Armada looks pretty awesome, but I'm not sure it's going to catch on like X-Wing has. But I'm with on how it seems like I've been waiting a long time for a game like that.

Regarding the starfield, I bought black felt and got creative with spray paint and a white-out danger. I'm pleased with the results.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's new out about Armada. In fact, there's a number of articles, which I'll list here for convenience:

STAR WARS (TM): Armada (First announcement | Published 08 August 2014)
Command Your Fleet to Victory (Published 26 September 2014)
Capital Ships in Battle (Published 10 October 2014)
Set Your Course (Published 24 October 2014)
Maximum Firepower (Published 10 November 2014)
Expand Your Fleet (Published 10 November 2014)
Fighters Coming In (Published 05 December 2014)
Assemble the Fleet (Published 26 December 2014)
Star Destroyers! (Published 16 January 2015)

As a major nerd for this, I've gone and created a wiki in which all the known materials are listed.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it and I'm in love.

I've layed X-wing in the past, but I never liked the idea of playing out fast paced starfighter dogfights as a turnbased game. But with capital ships it's great. Lots of strategy and maneuvering.

The only odd thing is that I've looked at the ships they're coming out with and it's a lot of Empire at War ships which are kinda meh.

Wouldn't mind seeing some EU ships like the corellian gunship or Lancer Frigate on the docket.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the price I, I will most likely be picking this up at Origins, along with as many of the expansions as I can.

Wave 2 is wonderful, though I am a bit meh on the scale of Home One. That sucker should be almost twice the size of a Star Destroyer.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised the first Rebel Ship of the Line wasn't a standard MC80 myself.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to try to use this game in conjunction with the roleplaying game, It would make visualizing large scale battles much easier but I have no idea how it would be done. I also looked at the product list and they do have a star field mat and a death star mat for use with the game. I wonder if it would also be possible to combine both the x-wing and Armada into one game experience by using some of the x-wing larger ships as picket ships for a fleet while using the smaller fighters as individual ships in a battle. The only problem is that they would have to put to the side of the battle because of the scale differences.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for demos at Origins. Wave 2 introduced several starfighter scale freighters. If the trend continues with wave 3 we should see more cap and support ships released.

If I can find a good scale I can order others from Odyssey Slipways and just fabricate or buy bases to match
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I love to support my FLGS, Walmart's online store is now listing the core box for $59.99. this may be too good of a deal to pass up for me.
Hell, I'm trying to decide if I should just order 2.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of this game, and if I still gamed regularly and were not in the dire financial situation I am in, I would likely acquire it and use it in conjunction with a D6 campaign to play out large fleet battles that would affect the campaign.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my core set should be here by Wednesday!
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Armada box showed up! Whoo Hoo! These ships look great! Not like the softer Starship Battles WotC minis that warped into odd shapes. I was worried about breakage during assembly, as that and drops have become my biggest issue with plastic minis. With only one brief scare while mounting a single TIE fighter, I am happy to report that I am nothing but impressed with the quality of both the ships and the bases.
Still mulling through the rules. Hopefully this weekend I can give it a go.

As for their use in my SW D6 game... I need to get my hands on those freighters from wave 2, but for now I now have a VicSD to plunk on the table just to make my players squirm!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: