The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Problems with star destroyers being ... destroyed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Problems with star destroyers being ... destroyed Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Destroyer would be incapable of maneuvering...until the ionization damage is repaired, which with a crew in the thousands complete with engineering and repair teams, would be within a round or two. They'll have dozens of crewmen at least working on the same problem, which means a guaranteed success on the capital ship repair roll due to coordination.

And, "it only takes one success and it's just a matter of time...". That works both ways, you know. In the case of the Star Destroyer, it's ionized controls. In the case of the PC's, it's a highly likely TPK as 5-10D capital scale damage will insta-kill starfighter-scale ships. Been there, done that, enough to know tangling with a capital ship is playing with fire.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And how long would it take to recover one of those lost moves?

What if it was just straight out shutdown (16+ damage overflow)?

Well the 2 rounds per RAW was what I was going with, but I did have a rule that if a ship suffered a lot of Ion damage the ship was shut down. With die losses I was using 2xHull code at the threshold (so a ship with 4D Hull would shut down after losing 8D to ionization). With moves the threshold would be at 4 moves.

I could also see doubling the time to recover ion damage though. Maybe 1 round for the first move, 2 for the second, 4 for the third, 8 for the 4th. This could be extended to allow for long term ionization.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you run it where Hull drops 2d if they are powered down due to the loss of particle shields?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Do you run it where Hull drops 2d if they are powered down due to the loss of particle shields?

I think I do now.

And that just might fix something I had a problem with on my revised damage table.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me wonder.. There are quite a few ships out there which only HAVE 2d hull rating as is. So do they have NO hull if their power goes out?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That makes me wonder.. There are quite a few ships out there which only HAVE 2d hull rating as is. So do they have NO hull if their power goes out?

Yeah, fortunately the game still functions okay. It just means ships can soak any damage- it;s all down the the damage roll. But...

I was thinking of halving the Hull if it was less than 4D, rather than subtracting 2D. It would smoother out the drop off, and solve this pretty nicely, IMO. Therefore, I am logically expecting rabid opposition to the idea.
MadHun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a simple or maybe not so simple question concerning the SF scale vs C scale weapons damage and such. If I remember it correctly mind you it was like 20 or so years ago that I played as a player, that a SF scale weapon on cap ship had a a cap of half for all rolled points or some such rule ? Also in the movie The Empire Strikes Back I seem to recall that the ION CANNON used against a star destroyer was using a planetary/cap scale gun to ionize the destroyers front and cause it to veer off from the intercept against the transports trying to escape. I dont see how a SF scale can do the same amount of ionization as a Cap/planetary weapon could.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given the fact that an ion blasts energy spreads through the electrical systems of a ship it will start to weaken the moment it penetrates the ships systems. If a starfighter scale Ion cannon hit a star destroyer the ion energy would need to spread through over ONE MILE worth of electrical systems in order to shut down enough systems. Given that, it would only cause a little flicker in the area it was hit since the energy would dissipate after a few seconds after impact.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution? I shifted the Scale System around, with most Capital Ships at +4D over Starfighters instead of +6D. However, I also shifted everything from the Victory Star Destroyer up to a new scale class, called Dreadnought, which is +8D over Starfighters and +4D over Capital Ships. That extra 2D makes the ISD a much tougher customer against SF-scale ion cannon. Of course, the planetary defense ion cannon and turbolasers get bumped up to Dreadnought scale, too...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems right to add a new size class, ships like Imperial Star destroyers and Venator star destroyers are said to take on small groups warships and survive, it makes sense to upgrade the size of the ships to keep things like this from happening.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
Seems right to add a new size class, ships like Imperial Star destroyers and Venator star destroyers are said to take on small groups warships and survive, it makes sense to upgrade the size of the ships to keep things like this from happening.

Exactly. Once you get around 4D or 5D Capital Scale under the RAW, things start to get a little crowded. A Strike Cruiser, only a fraction the size of an Imperial Star Destroyer, only gives up 1D in Hull Strength (6D vs. 7D) and 1 pip in Shields (2D+2 vs. 3D) to that same destroyer. A Victory-Class Star Destroyer has only a slightly tougher Hull (4D) than the Hull of a Nebulon B Frigate (3D+2). Splitting Capital Class into two causes things to even out a bit better.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I'd say that they have low-power navigation shields (only 1D).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the original scenario, how about changing the rules for ion cannon so that, rather than ships being dead in the water, a controls ionized result is simply a negative penalty. For example, with the ISD's 1D Maneuverability, a 3 Controls Ionized result would result in a -3D penalty, rather than a Controls Dead result, and would maneuver at -2D, rather than 1D.

What I'm thinking for ion cannon is in several parts:

1). Rather than ignoring shields, ion cannon expend their full damage potential against the shields themselves, rather than against Hull + Shields.

2). Any damage to shields would cause a Shields Ionized result (equivalent to Controls Ionized, but affects shield dice only), which would roll off at a rate of 1D per round.

3). The shields themselves would serve as Full Cover, and as per the rules for cover, any successful damage to the cover (shields) would bleed through and inflict partial or total damage to the ship itself. Once the shields are reduced to 0D, roll ion damage as normal.

4). Damage would be rolled versus the target's Hull Dice, minus any existing Controls Ionized results, and the only way to completely disable a ship is to inflict a Controls Dead result, as per the existing ion cannon rules.

This changes the playing field greatly for ion cannon. I've always thought it ridiculous that they ignored shields, so this is a good solution to that. Now, rather than simply ignoring shields, ion cannon become a potent anti-shield weapon that can be used in concert with other weapons to degrade an enemy's defenses against lasers and missile weapons, while still maintaining the ability to disable a target when used on its own.

It also greatly enhances the effectiveness of the MC80, as their backup shield dice allow them to bring up additional shields to withstand enemy ion attacks for a few extra rounds.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but unless you up the Ion cannon's damage they won't be anywhere as used then.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true.

1). By initially attacking just the shields, the ion cannon will be even more effective at bringing shields down (as almost no official ships have shield dice ratings higher than their Hull).

2). Once the shields are down, ion cannon may continue to be used normally (i.e. still rolling against the Hull dice alone to inflict ion damage, but now it is because the shields have been disabled, not just because the shields and ion blasts ignore each other).

It does shift things around for the ion cannon, making them less effective in some circumstances than in others, but overall, this actually makes them more formidable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: