The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Equipment Limit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Equipment Limit Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Something to remember as far as looting armor; according to the RAW, if a character wearing armor is killed, the armor is effectively destroyed...

Though as seen in a thread i had on armor damage, it seems a lot don't play with it.
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Equipment Limit Reply with quote

Quote:
Id like to also point out that, despite all his options, Luke Skywalker carried a blaster pistol rather than a heavy for most of his trilogy career. Mara Jade specializes in hold-out blaster. Some of the most heroic and nefarious characters we love and hate use less optimal weapons than we might as players.

I am all for people indicating what they have on them and trying to stick with it. I am currently running a character that uses a hold out blaster, and let me tell you, it is rough. More difficult to hit everything (with the range modifiers), minimal damage, and six shots to a powerpack. Part of the problem is many GM's still throw piles of storm troopers or whatever at the characters regardless of the group make up, essentially forcing them to "adapt" by picking up a blaster carbine like everyone else (which frankly makes no sense to me, even in a place like Tatooine, walking around with a blaster carbine is sure to draw attention).

Grenades, rifles, double handed vibroblades, all of these would draw a tremendous amount of attention outside anywhere but Jabbas palace, yet many of our players seem to sleep in their armor and assume that just because they purchased or found it that they can take it anywhere.

All of this is one of the reasons that I hate having Jedi in any group, since with a handful of force dice the only way the other characters can "compete" with them is by bringing 100K worth of thermal detonators and dual wielding light repeating blasters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Something to remember as far as looting armor; according to the RAW, if a character wearing armor is killed, the armor is effectively destroyed...

Though as seen in a thread i had on armor damage, it seems a lot don't play with it.

Which is a shame, because not only does it make sense, its a good anti-looting rule. Although Savar's question about called shots is no less valid. What would be the added difficulty on a shot to hit the gap in a stormie's armor without damaging it? +5 for every D of physical protection?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already penalties for called shots. IMO bypassing the armor would be in the 1-10cm category which is a -8D bracket cause it is so small.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
There are already penalties for called shots. IMO bypassing the armor would be in the 1-10cm category which is a -8D bracket cause it is so small.

But some armor provides less coverage, such as the difference between stormtrooper armor and scout trooper armor. Maybe have the difficulty modifier linked to the Dex penalty?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boobooed. The brackets are
Add +1D to the difficulty for a target 10 to 50 centimeters long.

Add +4D to the difficulty for a target one to 10 centimeters long.

Add +8D to the difficulty for a target less than a centimeter long.

Most storm trooper armor, imo bypassing it would be in the last cat as most of their body is covered. Scout troopers (and storm commando/rad troopers) imo would be in the mid cat.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I boobooed. The brackets are
Add +1D to the difficulty for a target 10 to 50 centimeters long.

Add +4D to the difficulty for a target one to 10 centimeters long.

Add +8D to the difficulty for a target less than a centimeter long.

It's almost like Scale modifiers below character scale, like WOTC's Small, Tiny and Fine...

Quote:
Most storm trooper armor, imo bypassing it would be in the last cat as most of their body is covered. Scout troopers (and storm commando/rad troopers) imo would be in the mid cat.

Of course, in the end, that is just for bypassing the damage resistance of the armor. Any armor suit with a body glove will automatically be damaged to some degree if the body glove has a gaping blaster hole in it...

Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

It makes perfect sense, but I think that most players default to the D&D attitude of looting every corpse.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Of course, in the end, that is just for bypassing the damage resistance of the armor. Any armor suit with a body glove will automatically be damaged to some degree if the body glove has a gaping blaster hole in it...

True, but the body glove is a lot easier to replace.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always preferred ot handle things through roleplay rather than rules but that is just me. As such we always just made black-market stormtrooper armor a cop-magnet, and let the PCs know that lots of imperial guns have tracking devices and other nasty surprises that an imperial officer with a comm-link can activate. Unless the scenario called for rounding up dozens of rifles to equip an army, there's no need to loot NPC weapons, we even ban it in DnD. Another good option might be to just give out a couple free specialization dice in whatever blaster the character came with at creation, so as long as they use it, it is always gonna be more effective than some other gun with a slightly higher damage.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only ran into encumbrance a couple of times that I recall. Mostly it doesn't come up because we're pretty good about pointing out if something is especially large or might attract undue attention, e.g. "Do you really want to cart that medium repeater into a city guarded by Imperials?"

As to looting, it hasn't been a problem. Our Jedi actually assembled a set of Stormtrooper armor but it took him a while, scavenging a few pieces here and there from fallen enemies. His success mostly depended on how the stormie in question died. If it was from a single blaster bolt or a lightsaber strike, one or two large pieces might survive. If the Wookiee opened up with the medium repeater, it was curtains for the both the faceless minion of the Empire and his formerly shiny white armor. I think I allowed the Jedi to recover a single hand plate after one such engagement. Very Happy
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We try to de-emphasize looting - and often our players stick with certain gear they start with, find, or create.

However we do have carry limits.

We use dnd a bit with limits on what someone can have on their body. and then include things such as belt pouch or ammo pouchs, and sometimes backpacks.

Our limit is simple and makes use or an often underrated skill - lifting.

In our game your standard carry limit is set at certain levels depending on your lifting skill. The more you have to more weight your used to.

Its easy really - we take the players dice in lifting - average them - and then take a quarter - that's the amount they can carry without incurring rolls.

Say I have 4D - average is 13 (wild die is 4 not 3 so (4+3+3+3)
Now 1/4 of that is 3 (round down)
I can carry 10kg (as per the first chart) without having to roll for duration.
BUT if I go over that - I incur rolls for the full total of what I'm carrying.

Backpacks often are required to carry that much as most don't get to that limit without them. We don't allow Grant Grab All to run around stating he has 17 blaster rifle's on his back.

Though often this isn't even a concern in my games. Generally if my players have looted something - its for a reason. And almost always only keep a few things on their persons and the rest in storage somewhere, either in a vehicle, or housing of some kind.

I think I've only had one or maybe 2 players within the past few years that this was an issue with.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules of Engagement also has a couple sidebars for optional rules for Encumbrance (page 38 ) and Foot Travel (page 55). Enforce them properly and you can reduce looting a great deal.

The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfftt...who wastes time looting an entire suit of stormy armor? All the good stuff is in the helmet.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way around the looting would be to require players to specify where exactly on they character's person each item is carried.

For characters that carry a repeater, the ammo is going to take up A LOT of space... not to mention the gun itself.

For reference, a soldier equipped for battle carries approximately 75 lbs of gear not counting what is in his backpack/rucksack... which could typically be in the 40-60 lbs range.

Without the ruck running/sprinting short distances is not too difficult, but anything more than... oh... about 50-100m gets taxing fast.

According to the military, a the right "balance between equipment an mobility lloks something like this:

Rifle
210 rounds (7 magazines)
Ballistic armor (torso coverage)
Helmet with optic(s)
First Aid kit
Various items of PPE (gloves, ballistic eyeewear, etc).

Everything else goes in the ruck and may or may not be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: