The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Rebels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Rebels Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second episode is up on iTunes. So far- avoiding any spoilers- they are keeping up the tone excellently... and I was quite happy with <a certain droid cameo>, <a certain ROTJ music cue reuse>, and <a certain character cameo>, whose scene may resolve a long-running continuity question in Legends which, ironically, probably no longer exists. I think each of the three will be obvious upon watching.

If anything, this episode may be better than the first, including its interweaving of the Force-using themes.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty good. I didn't want to even prespoil things too much in my post, hehe. But yeah, it does really address certain questions of continuity.

If anything it makes me more excited for the show, but maybe I want to have it all in one place for a binge watch (ala TCW which I just finished).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did let my son watch the pilot Tuesday (and I watched it again). Yesterday he was already asking me to watch it again. When I said no he asked to watch something from his collection of kiddie SW programs. He loved Rebels, and next week we are going to start watching the series together.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it!

Sure, there are things I wish they had done differently, but I likes it. My wife - who's more orthodox about SW than I am - liked it too.

Now, I don't know what they were thinking about having those early 1990s CGI Wookiees in the show, and I don't care for the Giraffe-class Star Destroyers too much, but... I can live with it.

(Just please, no more Wookiees without serious revision)
Moebius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the music was more reminiscent of the original trilogy, which was a bit better than the Clone Wars musical score (but that wasn't bad either)
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moebius wrote:
I thought the music was more reminiscent of the original trilogy

It was, but the music in Star Wars Rebels wasn't just reminiscent of the original trilogy. The Rebels pilot score featured original trilogy leitmotifs from John Williams such as Luke's theme (Main Theme), the Obi-Wan Theme (Jedi/Force theme), the Into the Trap motif from "The Battle of Endor I", and appropriately, the Rebel Fanfare from ANH. Ezra's theme is very Williams-esque without actually being John Williams. Unfortunately, I've heard that the Rebels series will actually use less Williams' themes over time.

Moebius wrote:
I thought the music... was a bit better than the Clone Wars musical score (but that wasn't bad either)

The Rebels score composer is Kevin Kline, the same as for TCW. For most of TCW, Kline was under strict orders from Lucas to not use Williams motifs. Despite that and TCW scoring being very synthesized and unlike SW film scoring, I also enjoyed TCW pilot movie soundtrack for what it is (IMO it's really the best thing to come out of TCW).

I would be interested in getting a Rebels soundtrack but there doesn't appear to be one available yet. I'd need that to make a better comparison/analysis.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bulldogzeta
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just caught the 2nd episode tonight. The plot was quite good and I enjoyed the appearance of the cannon characters. Not only that, but I got some ideas for my own campaigns.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only caught a few minutes of it (screw-up with my DVR, so I had to reset it to record early this morning, so I'll watch it with my son when I get home today), but certainly there were a couple of familiar droids that everyone recognized.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed the second episode myself. Very good Star Wars feel to it, IMHO
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought it was pretty good as well. Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: re: Droids In Distress Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
I was quite happy with <a certain droid cameo>, <a certain ROTJ music cue reuse>, and <a certain character cameo>, whose scene may resolve a long-running continuity question in Legends which, ironically, probably no longer exists. I think each of the three will be obvious upon watching.

Teazia wrote:
I didn't want to even prespoil things too much in my post, hehe. But yeah, it does really address certain questions of continuity.

Now that it has been over a week since the episode aired, would you mind telling me what the continuity element is? How does it resolve what long-running continuity question? Are you referring to the droids being away from the Organa family at times during the inter-trilogy time period? That the Droids cartoon series may have really been the result of Bail Organa sending R2 out to perform secret missions for the Rebellion?

It should be obvious, but could you explain what you are referring to anyway please? Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bail Oragana shows up in the 2nd episode.

A brief Synopsis:

So the Rebels crew are basically trying to collect a secret Imperial arms shipment. C-3PO is working with the diplomat because the seller is an Aqualish and R2-D2 is apparently there just because.

The crew separates 3PO and R2 from the rest while Sabine "translates" and send them Imps to the wrong landing bay once they reach their destination.

Turns out the weapons deal is for a shipment of highly illegal Disruptor Rifles. 3PO and R2-D2 are captured by the Rebels, and as soon as they're alone on the ship 3PO contacts the Empire and rats them out.

The Empire shows up in the middle of the deal and the Rebels end up destroying the Disruptors to take down some Imperial walkers.

Afterwards they return C-3PO and R2-D2 to their master, who will pay them handsomely for their return. Turns out R2-D2 knew the Rebels were going to try to get the Disruptor Rifles all along and was sent along to spy on the Rebels and record them for Bail Organa.

Episode 3 involves some stolen TIE fighter hijinks.

Episode 4

Word gets out that Master Luminara is still alive. It was a live cut in from a Holonet news broadcast. A man claiming to be a "Senator in Exile" essentially a Senator who decided to speak out against the Empire and went underground. She was being held at the same Prison Complex from Season 5 of Clone Wars.

It's a trap though.

Master Luminara was there, but she was a frozen, mummified, corpse. The Inquisitor had been hauling Luminara's corpse around for years trying to tempt force sensitives and potential Rebels to try mount a rescue operation. The force users would be able to sense Luminara's presence, but it would seem like something was wrong. The coffin even came equipped with a holo projector that would show Luminara sitting in the cell.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really starting to sound like someone's RPG campaign. And I say that in a good way.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they used the same prison from TCW to save on building a new set?

[Doug ducks the incoming shoe]

While overall I'm really enjoying the tone, pace, music, etc. for this show, at times it's a bit too "kiddy" for my taste. I understand they're trying to appeal to a family audience (and it seems very much driven for kids, based on the network it's airing on and the advertisements). But showing tons of battle with no consequences (like the old show The A-Team used to do) can be just as harmful, teaching children that there are no consequences to violence.

I'd rather they have it a little more like the films. They don't need to have limbs lopped off or anything. Just the occasional miss causing wreckage that falls on one of the protagonists or something. As it is now I doubt any of them will ever be hit by anything fired their way. At most I expect they'll get stunned at some point (for plot purposes). It ends up making the stormtroopers look beyond incompetent.

The PCs aren't Blaster-proof, they've just each got a Dodge score of 11D! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Edheldun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching episode 3, and a stormtrooper saying to Ezra, "Wait, you did all this for fruit?' all I can think of is Aladdin saying, "All this for a loaf of bread?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: