The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Life after REUP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Life after REUP Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Shoot, get it all in one massive (hardback) tome and it would make a handy melee weapon! Laughing

I started going through my books to see if I had anything that would even reasonably compare, and all I had was a 1,400 pager.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that is actually the plan, to combine all of the stat books (including the saga stuff) into one massive tome. It actually have to be at least two massive tomes as lulu only allows 800 pages per hardcover...
So I guess the wish will become reality...
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Out of curiosity, I've recently become rather enamoured with the idea of properly-formatted eBooks of the WEG guides, rather than the often poorly (or completely un-) OCR'd versions that exist today which are based on image scans. I know when working on the TOR book, any time I need to grab text from a WEG sourcebook it's like pulling teeth, and I dread it.

If you were to move forward with WEG eBooks, I'm curious as to your process - I'd even be interested in being involved to some degree. How would you go about producing these - is it really as direct as "re-type and re-layout everything?" Or do you have a killer OCR setup I don't know about?

Well this is not the plan... It is a rather lengthy process. If one was to do it, you would have to extract each page as an image file. OCR it (using ABBYY or onlineocr.net) then past the text into publisher, InDesign, or Word and create text styles that mirror those WEG used. Its kind of a long thankless process.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I have some alternate conversions of a couple of things. For example, much of the Threats of the Galaxy have some other conversions, and we did actually convert the Phase Force Power if you're interested.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely... I know that there are some other statblocks that may be added too. I think Shootingwomprats has a few. I will basically be doing a copy/paste/reformat and new art kind of job... so any input by one of the experts would be greatly appreciated.

I will be taking a bit of a break after REUP MkII is done.. It is becoming a bit more involved than I anticipated, with an entire new campaign and a rewrite of the Equipment & Weapons Chapter.

But Making all of the stat books you and Gry worked on, combined into a published volume is the number 2 priority after MkII. Then... retirement, or just writing for Wild Space.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably don't hear this enough, klhaviation, but thanks for all the countless hours put in for the game! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: